My First Maxima

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first crack at the clam world. Size is about 2 1/2 inches but was smaller three weeks ago. Didnt want to post just to have it die later on. No feeding maybe drizzle some left over reef roids from the mix. One thing I've noticed though are the blue patches on the mantle. The mantle when purchase was predominately tan/gold with black outline. I've read that if the mantle turns white, the clam is in trouble. What could cause the blue patches from emerging? The clam is about 3-4inches below water level with two ai primes on my nuvo 20. Thanks in advance.

20180628_113815.jpg

OP
OP
BadPanda

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mantles can develop color over time. Our brown squamosa developed blue spots over the years. That's a nice maxima.
Thanks for the reassurance. Ill try to monitor its progress with the mantle color change. Would the mantle color change be a result from the lighting? Looks I'll have something to research when I get back from work. Thanks again.

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mantle shape is great, as are the siphons, you're in good shape! Watch for quick reaction to shadows and shell growth, as said above. The patches are likely from you placing it so close to your lights, I wonder if it's changing color like the way Acros become colorful to protect themselves from high light?

OP
OP
BadPanda

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mantle shape is great, as are the siphons, you're in good shape! Watch for quick reaction to shadows and shell growth, as said above. The patches are likely from you placing it so close to your lights, I wonder if it's changing color like the way Acros become colorful to protect themselves from high light?
that's what I was starting to think as well. I remembered reading somewhere that purple maximas need higher lighting. If a can grow this current clam in the next two months without hiccups, I might get another one with a purple mantle and place it on the bottom to see if the mantle would change color too. Thanks for the reply.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's what I was starting to think as well. I remembered reading somewhere that purple maximas need higher lighting. If a can grow this current clam in the next two months without hiccups, I might get another one with a purple mantle and place it on the bottom to see if the mantle would change color too. Thanks for the reply.
If it's a maxima then mantle color will not determine its lighting requirements, the species of clam will determine the strength of light you typically need. If you get a purple maxima I'd still place it high up in the tank just like the one you have now.

OP
OP
BadPanda

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a maxima then mantle color will not determine its lighting requirements, the species of clam will determine the strength of light you typically need. If you get a purple maxima I'd still place it high up in the tank just like the one you have now.
I see ok then. Thanks for replying so I didn't end up killing my second clam.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, color changes are just differences in illumination and not actual rendered color. This can happen especially when viewed under different lights. Maxima need tons of light regardless of what color they are.

If you do get a true purple maxima, then I would want it to stay purple - these are holy-grail type of clams for me along with true-green maxima, blue squamosa and any gigas.

OP
OP
BadPanda

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, color changes are just differences in illumination and not actual rendered color. This can happen especially when viewed under different lights. Maxima need tons of light regardless of what color they are.
Thanks for the reply.

If you do get a true purple maxima, then I would want it to stay purple - these are holy-grail type of clams for me along with true-green maxima, blue squamosa and any gigas.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back