My first QT setup

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of you have seen my earlier thread on a disease outbreak in my 90g display, I am now moving forward to bounce back an start the quarantine process on my surviving fish and any new additions from here on out.
I do have a few questions a concerns I’d like to get some clear info on so I don’t make any mistakes.

I’ll start off explaining what has happened in the display and what I’ve done so far to prepare for future, all my livestock has come from my LFS who I’ve never seen or heard of issues (gamble still I know) my last addition was a Diamond goby and all was all for over a month when randomly one evening I observed my clownfish and neon dottyback with white specks and a matte slime almost look to them. Unfortunately they perished and my remaining fish (foxface, 2 blue chromis, Diamond goby) are hanging in there and I purchased a 29g tank , hob filter, hood with light, heater, pvc hide aways, copper power, Hannah copper tester, and a ammonia alert badge.
The foxface is the only one showing signs of fast breathing and not eating well. I am in process of getting water made up and mixed to start the quarantine tank up, I know it’s going to be a challenge to catch the fish in the display as well but I’m prepared to let it run fallow for the 76 days.

My questions are:
1. Can I use a silica sand bed in the QT for the Diamond goby with no ill effects?
2. Can I use any rock in the QT as long it never gets used for anything else, I know the possibility of absorbing the copper is a concern.
3. The fiancé is not to fond of the QT tank as it took up some room we didn’t really have to spare….she said she would be fine with it if we could use it as another “display” but only for QT purposes as long as could put sand and rock in it. We know we can never have inverts or Corals but what about a pair of clowns? Could they live fine in there even through a few times of copper treatment for any additions we put through there?
I hope I explained that in a way it makes sense. Basically a permanent set up for QT purpose but would never be empty
Thanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Some of you have seen my earlier thread on a disease outbreak in my 90g display, I am now moving forward to bounce back an start the quarantine process on my surviving fish and any new additions from here on out.
I do have a few questions a concerns I’d like to get some clear info on so I don’t make any mistakes.

I’ll start off explaining what has happened in the display and what I’ve done so far to prepare for future, all my livestock has come from my LFS who I’ve never seen or heard of issues (gamble still I know) my last addition was a Diamond goby and all was all for over a month when randomly one evening I observed my clownfish and neon dottyback with white specks and a matte slime almost look to them. Unfortunately they perished and my remaining fish (foxface, 2 blue chromis, Diamond goby) are hanging in there and I purchased a 29g tank , hob filter, hood with light, heater, pvc hide aways, copper power, Hannah copper tester, and a ammonia alert badge.
The foxface is the only one showing signs of fast breathing and not eating well. I am in process of getting water made up and mixed to start the quarantine tank up, I know it’s going to be a challenge to catch the fish in the display as well but I’m prepared to let it run fallow for the 76 days.

My questions are:
1. Can I use a silica sand bed in the QT for the Diamond goby with no ill effects?
2. Can I use any rock in the QT as long it never gets used for anything else, I know the possibility of absorbing the copper is a concern.
3. The fiancé is not to fond of the QT tank as it took up some room we didn’t really have to spare….she said she would be fine with it if we could use it as another “display” but only for QT purposes as long as could put sand and rock in it. We know we can never have inverts or Corals but what about a pair of clowns? Could they live fine in there even through a few times of copper treatment for any additions we put through there?
I hope I explained that in a way it makes sense. Basically a permanent set up for QT purpose but would never be empty
Thanks.
No sandbed in QT however you can place a bowl of sand with the tank
Rock has sharp edges and can cause injury as well as use up valuable tank volume. PVC pipe is adequate
While you can add clowns, use copper that is safe such as coppersafe or copperPower and you will want to monitor treatment levels as well as ammonia.

Fiance needs to realize a QT tank is a hospital tank and not meant to be decorated

OP
OP
Calebd91

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I explained that to her lol,
No sandbed in QT however you can place a bowl of sand with the tank
Rock has sharp edges and can cause injury as well as use up valuable tank volume. PVC pipe is adequate
While you can add clowns, use copper that is safe such as coppersafe or copperPower and you will want to monitor treatment levels as well as ammonia.

Fiance needs to realize a QT tank is a hospital tank and not meant to be decorated
Will a glass type casserole dish work good for that?
I will be using copper power.

yea I tried to explain to her that this is not a display and only meant to better the health and quality of our large tank. She understands somewhat ha

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My questions are:
Thanks.

One additional comment - looks like you are setting up a treatment tank "on the fly". You need to ensure you have a good source of beneficial bacteria in there to manage the ammonia produced by the fish. Very often I see people set up a quarantine tank and then lose their fish to ammonia, or a combination of disease and ammonia. If your display has filter media you could move over, that would help. Otherwise you may need to use bacteria in a bottle type products.

Jay

OP
OP
Calebd91

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One additional comment - looks like you are setting up a treatment tank "on the fly". You need to ensure you have a good source of beneficial bacteria in there to manage the ammonia produced by the fish. Very often I see people set up a quarantine tank and then lose their fish to ammonia, or a combination of disease and ammonia. If your display has filter media you could move over, that would help. Otherwise you may need to use bacteria in a bottle type products.

Jay
I have a 4x6 piece of standard filter floss in the sump that’s been in there a few weeks. Would that be suitable to use? I planned on adding some dr Tim’s as well just to make sure an I have an ammonia alert badge To keep eye on it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yea I explained that to her lol,

Will a glass type casserole dish work good for that?
I will be using copper power.

yea I tried to explain to her that this is not a display and only meant to better the health and quality of our large tank. She understands somewhat ha
Yes and add oxygen via air stone

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i did an all in one fluval tank and its literally next to the main display, and yes on a wine fridge (which keeps the wife happy). I do my WC weekly and i start with taking water out of the QT say about 30%, then I fill the QT from main tank, then I put the new water in the main tank. All new specimens go in the qt 4 weeks and sometimes more. I added a uv in the qt also. so far it has been a great thing. so it "feels" like a display because there is usually something in there.

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4x6 piece of standard filter floss in the sump that’s been in there a few weeks. Would that be suitable to use? I planned on adding some dr Tim’s as well just to make sure an I have an ammonia alert badge To keep eye on it.
Curious did you end up using the DT filter media for bacteria? I've read not to use any rocks from the QT, or absorbant filter media (including the softer white filter media I think). Wanting to setup a 20g QT asap as my I've a puffer a chromis with ich. Do I just setup the tank using LFS saltwater, with airstone, heater, HOB filter and use the green/bkue filter media from my DT?

Sorry if these q's have already been answered elsewhere.

OP
OP
Calebd91

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious did you end up using the DT filter media for bacteria? I've read not to use any rocks from the QT, or absorbant filter media (including the softer white filter media I think). Wanting to setup a 20g QT asap as my I've a puffer a chromis with ich. Do I just setup the tank using LFS saltwater, with airstone, heater, HOB filter and use the green/bkue filter media from my DT?

Yes I used a piece of filter floss I had in the sump area. It’s not any special absorbing kind. I mixed my own saltwater up an used a hang on back filter, cheap heater and air stone. Ran one batch thru qt already in that setup. Drained, cleaned and set back up just to keep it running an ready. Has developed some algea but I’ll clean it up again for my next run of qt

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! I know QT shouldn't really be set up on the fly but this is an emergency situation for me. Is there any need for biospira? Or can I just setup the tank using DT filter media and then add fish the next day (after testing water)?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! I know QT shouldn't really be set up on the fly but this is an emergency situation for me. Is there any need for biospira? Or can I just setup the tank using DT filter media and then add fish the next day (after testing water)?
If you move enough media over, that will work. Trouble is, you cannot easily judge the amount of media needed to do that. Too many variables. You need to closely monitor the ammonia level, if it rises, you need to move more media.
Jay

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you move enough media over, that will work. Trouble is, you cannot easily judge the amount of media needed to do that. Too many variables. You need to closely monitor the ammonia level, if it rises, you need to move more media.
Jay
Ah, so as long as I monitor the ammonia levels closely it should be ok. Cool. Thanks for all the advice :)

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
updated pic today 3/13/2023 under regular lighting when they were ready to eat.

Attachments

• processed-482fde3b-b2bb-4430-805a-1678631c4deb_NuqDaSpl.jpeg
    processed-482fde3b-b2bb-4430-805a-1678631c4deb_NuqDaSpl.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 21

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I recently set up my first QT tank doing something similar. Cut a piece of filter sock (not the nylon type, the stiffer fluffier type) to the same size as the QT HOB filter and kept it in the sump for a few weeks - when it came time to set up the QT I put it in the HOB filter slot so it gets constant flow through it.

Got a small ammonia spike two days after adding copper (I assume it killed stuff in the sock) but did a 50% water change and it came right back down and had been around zero since.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 117 78.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back