My First "REAL" Reef Tank - Community Build

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers...

Before I start I just want to say a big THANKS to all the users there a re about to help me with this new journey. This forum has being amazing with a LOT of helpful people. Now let's get started.

I'm really excited today because today I'm starting my first "REAL" reef tank. The reason why I say real is because is my first time having a full filtration system (carbon, gfo, regular sized skimmer, sump, refugium).

But..... I need your guys help to put this baby to run. I really want to do this right for the first time and I would appreciate any I mean ANY suggestions on how a newbie in the hobby can still be successful when following the right procedures.

So far I was able to setup the tank and mount the lights. The tank has being cycling for about 8 days now. I used Dr. Tim's One and Only followed by MB7 ( 6 caps daily). Also, bought the a marine media brick to add more surface area for the bacteria to populate.

*Below are the parts that I've acquired so far:

120 Gallon - 4x2x2
2x Radion's G4 30
2x Vortech MP40's
Ecotech Vectra M1
65 lbs of Purple Rock
40 Lbs of Fiji Pink Sand
Reef Octopus S-202
Etrigger Systems Sapphire 39 Inch Sump
5-Stage RO/DI Water Treatment

Parts that I still want to buy:

-Build a Canopy
-Carbon and GFO Reactor
-Apex Controller
-Auto Doser

Anything you guys think it could help me to take care of the tank. Please share your thoughts.

20180330_061605.jpg

20180330_061629.jpg

20180330_061634.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
* Feedback needed

What do you guys think about:

-Aquascaping
-Rocks
-Size of the tank

Tips needed during cycle process:

-Lights on or off?
-Skimmer on or off?
-When to add a refugium and some pods?

Best Regards

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
* Feedback needed

-Aquascaping.
-Rocks
-Size of the tank

-Lights on or off?
-Skimmer on or off?
-When to add a refugium and some pods?

Best Regards

-Aquascaping. Looks good
-Rocks
-Size of the tank. Good

-Lights on or off? Doesn't matter.
-Skimmer on or off? Doesn't matter.
-When to add a refugium and some pods? After cycling is done.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-Aquascaping. Looks good
-Rocks
-Size of the tank. Good

-Lights on or off? Doesn't matter.
-Skimmer on or off? Doesn't matter.
-When to add a refugium and some pods? After cycling is done.

*Can you share why people say that running the skimmer during the cycle would make it slow since it will "filter" the good stuff and bad stuff? Also, they say why run it if you don't have any livestock yet.

*Lights. So if I run the lights does not mean that I will have algae all over the place?

Thanks a lot @Flippers4pups

Looks great! Congrats on the new tank!

Thanks @Reefer Deez

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are you won't have much in the way of dissolved waste at first, so running the skimmer isn't needed. Running it during the cycling process won't remove the nitrifying bacteria from the system. So, no it won't "slow" the process.

The only reason to run it would be to let it break in and add O2 to the system.

Running the lights or not during this time doesn't have any impact on wether or not you will have algae growth. So, run them, don't run them has no impact. It's a personal choice.

You will, no matter what you do, have the "nasties" stage. Every newly established system goes through it.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are you won't have much in the way of dissolved waste at first, so running the skimmer isn't needed. Running it during the cycling process won't remove the nitrifying bacteria from the system. So, no it won't "slow" the process.

The only reason to run it would be to let it break in and add O2 to the system.

Running the lights or not during this time doesn't have any impact on wether or not you will have algae growth. So, run them, don't run them has no impact. It's a personal choice.

You will, no matter what you do, have the "nasties" stage. Every newly established system goes through it.

thank you so much for clarifying

killr66tb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers...

Before I start I just want to say a big THANKS to all the users there a re about to help me with this new journey. This forum has being amazing with a LOT of helpful people. Now let's get started.

I'm really excited today because today I'm starting my first "REAL" reef tank. The reason why I say real is because is my first time having a full filtration system (carbon, gfo, regular sized skimmer, sump, refugium).

But..... I need your guys help to put this baby to run. I really want to do this right for the first time and I would appreciate any I mean ANY suggestions on how a newbie in the hobby can still be successful when following the right procedures.

So far I was able to setup the tank and mount the lights. The tank has being cycling for about 8 days now. I used Dr. Tim's One and Only followed by MB7 ( 6 caps daily). Also, bought the a marine media brick to add more surface area for the bacteria to populate.

*Below are the parts that I've acquired so far:

120 Gallon - 4x2x2
2x Radion's G4 30
2x Vortech MP40's
Ecotech Vectra M1
65 lbs of Purple Rock
40 Lbs of Fiji Pink Sand
Reef Octopus S-202
Etrigger Systems Sapphire 39 Inch Sump
5-Stage RO/DI Water Treatment

Parts that I still want to buy:

-Build a Canopy
-Carbon and GFO Reactor
-Apex Controller
-Auto Doser

Anything you guys think it could help me to take care of the tank. Please share your thoughts.

20180330_061605.jpg

20180330_061629.jpg

20180330_061634.jpg

Aqua scape looks good

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 89 41.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 106 49.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.3%
Back