findingsimple

findingsimple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Week 5 - cycle finished

Season 7 Happy Dance GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

2 Clowns added along with CUC (Astreas, Zombies, Strombs and a few small hermits)

Diatom bloom is getting pretty out of control and consuming all the nitrates etc. so can't wait for that to end.

Beginnings of some green hair algae on the higher up rocks

Thinking about a tang as next addition

Last edited:
OP
OP
findingsimple

findingsimple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and some updates on the system

I plumbed the Clarisea with a Vectra S2 and its been working great (photo below)

I made some better space to use the refugium area and put the divider back in by....
* Moving the heaters to the DT - they are just too big and awkward in the sump
* Shifted skimmer into the space allocated for "reactors" which I'm not using.

IMG_0538.jpg

OP
OP
findingsimple

findingsimple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying out an auto water change set up this week using a couple Versa.

Doing ~7 L a day for 10% water change weekly.

064CEEB6-339B-459D-BED6-306A18E29A55.jpeg

Tank water is being pulled from filter sock section and new saltwater is going into the return section

OP
OP
findingsimple

findingsimple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - added my first Coral frags to the system to see how they go. 4 Zoas.

Was given a few turbo snails too which I’ve added.

Otherwise the diatom bloom appears to be under control finally. Nitrates still low so might have to dose or risk adding more fish without quarantine while I’m still putting it together to try and get my nutrients flowing.

Couple hermit crabs in the sump did an amazing job cleaning it out.

Mi-Mi the mimic tang is possibly the cutest thing ever. Love that they put them self to bed each night.

OP
OP
findingsimple

findingsimple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Introduced Harold the flame hawkfish to the tank on Sunday for a beautiful splash of red. He’s been eating and checking the scape.

One thing we noticed today which I’m really worried about is the little yellow tang has some bit marks out of the fins on its head. I don’t think it’s Harold - I think it’s actually Bennie the lawnmower blennie as I’ve seen him furiously chomping away at everything. I think the tank is took clean for him so I’ve added some nori sheets to see if he takes to them. Wondering if I should move him out of the tank and try and get him to get used to eating the nori in a separate tank.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build. Been considering getting a Cade myself... any other pros/cons re. Cade aquarium so far?

OP
OP
findingsimple

findingsimple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the auto aqua as you return section ato or are you refilling your cade ato and using the float valve
I'm using the Auto Aqua ATO duo to replenish evaporated water in the main system. The pump is in the CADE ATO compartment and pumps water into the return compartment when it gets too low.

I manually refill the ATO storage compartment with RODI roughly every 4 days

OP
OP
findingsimple

findingsimple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build. Been considering getting a Cade myself... any other pros/cons re. Cade aquarium so far?
I love the build quality, glass and cabinet - it was easy to setup for a new reefer like me. Would definitely buy another in the future.

The CONs/Challenges for me in the 1200 Peninsula have been
* Filter sock compartment is quite small - so I had to put the roller fleece in another section and use another pump to get water to it. And I've left the filter socks in place as a bonus
* The power controller section - while nice, is no where near big enough (for me) for the amount of plugs etc. that it offers. I still have all my power packs etc. hanging out the back and the door to the controller section struggles to stay shut due to cables pushing slightly against everything
* I've never had a reef before but the amount of evaporation feels rather significant (hence comments above about having to re-fill every few days.
* I'm at the point where I probably need extra cabinet for a few things

They are challenges but nothing that can't be overcome - just been honest with my use of the system. I suspect bigger tanks wouldn't have the same issues.

Last edited:

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the build quality, glass and cabinet - it was easy to setup for a new reefer like me. Would definitely buy another in the future.

The CONs/Challenges for me in the 1200 have been
* Filter sock compartment is quite small - so I had to put the roller fleece in another section and use another pump to get water to it. And I've left the filter socks in place as a bonus
* The power controller section - while nice, is no where near big enough (for me) for the amount of plugs etc. that it offers. I still have all my power packs etc. hanging out the back and the door to the controller section struggles to stay shut due to cables pushing slightly against everything
* I've never had a reef before but the amount of evaporation feels rather significant (hence comments above about having to re-fill every few days.
* I'm at the point where I probably need extra cabinet for a few things

They are challenges but nothing that can't be overcome - just been honest with my use of the system. I suspect bigger tanks wouldn't have the same issues.
Thanks for the feedback. I’ve heard from other Cade owners re high rate of evaporation. TBH, during winter, my 90 cube ATO has to be filled prob 5-8 gallons/week depending on how cold it is. Also seen other Cade owners remove tbe filter sock holders in order to make fleece roller fit there. Not sure if u heard of Parker’s Reef on Youtube but he’s also a big fan of Cade and in Australia.

Last edited:
OP
OP
findingsimple

findingsimple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. I’ve heard from other Cade owners re high rate of evaporation. TBH, during winter, my 90 cube ATO has to be filled prob 5-8 gallons/week depending on how cold it is. Also seen other Cade owners remove tbe filter sock holders in order to make fleece roller fit there. Not sure if u heard of Parker’s Reef on Youtube but he’s also a big fan of Cade and in Australia.
Yeah I still couldn’t get my clarisea fleece roller (which has a small footprint) to work in the 2 filter spot.

yep definitely seen Sam’s channel he has some good stuff

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I still couldn’t get my clarisea fleece roller (which has a small footprint) to work in the 2 filter spot.

yep definitely seen Sam’s channel he has some good stuff
Which clarisea model do u have?

Back