My First Reef Tank! 75 gal Build

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovely, ok, I'll wait until I can talk with some live people before getting anything else on the layaway setup. I'm really confused now. Every single thing I've looked at talked about a sump and that media like the bioballs were the way to go. I've been on so many websites, watched videos and read so many books. Super confused!

Ah! The familiar confused feeling all of us had when we first got into this hobby. Not to mock you, but it's almost a right of passage [emoji6] Good thing is you haven't set anything up yet. And even if you don't get a full refund, even a store credit will be just as good. You'll be amazed how quickly you use up that store credit so it won't be wasted money I assure you.

As Chris pointed out, I think coming to the meeting will really help you get a jump start on things. I used to have a similar sump and have to say I wasn't thrilled about it. It was a rookie mistake for me and I'm glad to be rid of that thing. You have options though - lots of options. Some even much cheaper as I'll show you with my sump. A home made DIY sump that cost me ~$40 total. I made it out of a small aquarium and customized it to just how I wanted it. Or you could get one online as well though let me warn you, reef sumps are quite pricey!

Just a heads up - I have the RODI unit at the house but as mentioned have not set it up just yet. So while I can show you how big the unit is, unfortunately I can't show you how it operates. There's plenty of folks in the club who have one up and running who will be glad to show you how it works though.

Don't get overwhelmed. I know there's a lot of info to digest but we'll help through all of it. Before you know it you'll have a fantastic setup up and running!

OP
OP
Scrappy RN

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you found the stickies at the top of the new to hobby subforum? Nice write up here about getting started.
Ill add a link
Supreme guide to setup is Here: https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/138750/
Yes, it was a great article! The part about the sump was a little vague though. Didn't really mention what went in it but did say that the live rock would do fine by itself in the beginning. I thought that meant that adding filter media could come later just before adding fish to the system, not that you wouldn't add any at all, lol o_O.

Seems I have a lot more to learn...good thing it will be a long time before I get the setup!! :D

Don't mean to confuse you. Just remember, the guys at local fish stores are not always experts - or even hobbyists themselves - and they do not always know what they are talking about. Some are very knowledgeable, but sadly, many are just out to make a buck. This is why it is so important to post what you want here and get differing opinions on what will work and what won't. Everyone has their opinion and until you get to know who to trust - either at the LFS or on the forums - take all the information in and make your decisions based on what makes sense to you. I just hate to see stores sell people stuff that they will need to replace as soon as they get the system set up and realize that it won't work as advertised.

BTW, you mentioned not knowing how to start a PM. Here, they are called "conversations." While you are in a thread, you can just click on the avatar of the person you want to contact and click on "Start a Conversation." I believe there are other ways, but that is what I use.

Thanks, I thought that might be how!

As far as the LFS guy, he's one of the assistant managers and has been in the hobby for years and does have his own reef tank, according to him, and he even helps train the other people. I would have thought he'd know more, lol, but I guess not. He was super nice and actually suggested a few things that were cheaper than what came in the original setup, suggested looking on Amazon for some things, etc., so I don't get the idea that he's only out for the sale. Maybe he has just always done it one way and it works for him so he hasn't upgraded to the latest?? And just a side note... the store looks like it actually uses the bio-balls in their massive system that runs water throughout multiple tanks. So maybe that's why he doesn't see it as a problem. Kind of worries me though...

Thanks again for the input!

OP
OP
Scrappy RN

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah! The familiar confused feeling all of us had when we first got into this hobby. Not to mock you, but it's almost a right of passage [emoji6] Good thing is you haven't set anything up yet. And even if you don't get a full refund, even a store credit will be just as good. You'll be amazed how quickly you use up that store credit so it won't be wasted money I assure you.

As Chris pointed out, I think coming to the meeting will really help you get a jump start on things. I used to have a similar sump and have to say I wasn't thrilled about it. It was a rookie mistake for me and I'm glad to be rid of that thing. You have options though - lots of options. Some even much cheaper as I'll show you with my sump. A home made DIY sump that cost me ~$40 total. I made it out of a small aquarium and customized it to just how I wanted it. Or you could get one online as well though let me warn you, reef sumps are quite pricey!

Just a heads up - I have the RODI unit at the house but as mentioned have not set it up just yet. So while I can show you how big the unit is, unfortunately I can't show you how it operates. There's plenty of folks in the club who have one up and running who will be glad to show you how it works though.

Don't get overwhelmed. I know there's a lot of info to digest but we'll help through all of it. Before you know it you'll have a fantastic setup up and running!

Lol, that's ok, I'm used to being confused!

And ok, I had seen some DIY videos online about making your own sump so had thought about it. But then the draw of a fully functioning item sucked me in. The idea of saving that $ for other gadgets though will most likely swing me back the other way pronto!

I really look forward to the meeting even more now, lots to learn!

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And ok, I had seen some DIY videos online about making your own sump so had thought about it. But then the draw of a fully functioning item sucked me in. The idea of saving that $ for other gadgets though will most likely swing me back the other way pronto!

Its really not hard at all! All you need is an aquarium that will fit inside your cabinet (the smaller ones are fairly cheap at any local pet store), some glass pieces cut to make your baffles, and a tube of silicone! Glass Doctor on Central Ave. cut baffles for my sump at a very reasonable price.

OP
OP
Scrappy RN

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I love DIY stuff so this will be fun! I need to measure the inside of the cabinet then and start looking for an appropriate tank. Maybe Craigslist will have something.

So new question: what is the minimum amount of equipment the quarantine/hospital tank will need? Can I get by with a sponge filter and heater and lights or am I going to need a whole setup with live rock, skimmer, pumps etc. ..

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I love DIY stuff so this will be fun! I need to measure the inside of the cabinet then and start looking for an appropriate tank. Maybe Craigslist will have something.

So new question: what is the minimum amount of equipment the quarantine/hospital tank will need? Can I get by with a sponge filter and heater and lights or am I going to need a whole setup with live rock, skimmer, pumps etc. ..

You can have a hang on the back filter and a heater with a cheap light. Then many people you pvc pieces as hiding places instead of rock. Maybe a little pump to circulate water. Nothing to complicated.

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For a cheap sump or QT you might want to keep an eye out on the local pet stores. They run a $1/gal sale twice a year usually. Best time to get a small tank for really cheap! That way you don't have to worry about the condition of the tank as you would when purchased on Craigslist.

A QT should be as stripped down as possible. No sand, no rocks. Don't want anything that bugs or parasites might make a home in. Additionally, if you need to medicate the fish in the tank a bare tank is much easier to keep remnants out. Just a basic tank with a couple of pieces of PVC as Caleb mentioned is all you need. A HOB filter will be just fine with some basic lights.

Now if you're using the tank for corals as well, you may need to upgrade the lights in case you keep the corals in QT for an extended period of time.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish also always recommends to include an ammonia alert badge to the tank, so yo can tell if ammonia is present and in need of a water change. It is also good to keep a sponge filter in the sump of your existing tank, to place in your HOB QT filter, to have some live bacteria in the QT to help with ammonia and nitrite.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! :eek:

But I like it...I'm a glutton for punishment!:D

Hang with [HASHTAG]#ETRC[/HASHTAG] guy and you will be fine, they should have enough spare parts to get you going. @Fin is on track with topic.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the terrible group as well and have never QT a fish. I know, I know that's holy sacrilege in this hobby. But once again, space limitations have prevented me from having one this far. That is now in the plans though. I have a tank at home as well that I plan on converting to a QT.

As far as keeping one running all the time goes, you don't absolutely have to. This takes us back to @Fin suggestion of placing a sponge in your sump that will be a breeding ground for good bacteria. That way when you do need to set up a QT for a fish, you stick that sponge in your QT filter to create the beneficial bacteria source in the QT to help break down any ammonia and nitrates.

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However I do have a small 10 gallon tank , emergency return pump and a small heater just in case. You will definitely collect certain things over the years in the hobby.

I've had to use my emergency return pump once and the heater when I had one of mine fail tripping a breaker. Was a nightmare!

There will be ups and downs in the hobby but don't let those discourage you bc all in all its a wonderful hobby.

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my rodi unit. I don't have a garage and I rent right now while saving to buy a house so this is my rodi set in my half bathroom near both my tanks.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1467765875.821415.jpg

Red line coming from the facet to the rodi unit. Black line is coming from the rodi unit down the drain bc it's waste water line. Some people route it into a container to water planets or do laundry etc. then the blue line goes into something to store your filtered water in

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1467766010.195323.jpg

Here is my collection barrel. Rubbermaid.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1467766035.625324.jpg

OP
OP
Scrappy RN

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, thanks for the pics, Cale! I'm a visual learner, lol, so pictures help SO much more than words most of the time! That explains how the RODI works (setup-wise) perfectly!!

And all you non-QT-ers....I'm kinda a rule follower so I'll probably have to have one just to give me peace of mind, ha, ha!

OP
OP
Scrappy RN

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish also always recommends to include an ammonia alert badge to the tank, so yo can tell if ammonia is present and in need of a water change. It is also good to keep a sponge filter in the sump of your existing tank, to place in your HOB QT filter, to have some live bacteria in the QT to help with ammonia and nitrite.

That's a great idea! I used to do something similar in freshwater by having two HOB's going on my bigger tank that I could transfer media with when I was going to setup a 2nd (or 3rd and 4th... who's counting) tank.

I'm really loving the sump method. I don't know why more freshwater people don't do it. It makes SO much more sense!!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back