My first reef tank- Biocube 32

Lucky713

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still very early in the build so far I have done my rock work, and started cycling.
As far as additional equipment I have a Tunze 9001 skimmer, an Intank media basket, an Aqueon Pro 150 heater.
I used dry rock and 2 bags of live sand don't remember the brand.
I used 2 bottles of Dr. Tim's one and only along with Dr. Tim's ammonia
Something interesting happened with my stand I ended up with 2 of the same door however customer support has promptly sent a new door.
Now time for a couple pictures.
20200104_215655.jpg
20200104_215728.jpg

OP
OP
Lucky713

Lucky713

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily I don't have to decide today as I have a couple weeks until I am ready for fish and my first one is decided on. It will be the clown. From most things I have read clowns are good as your first

rfgonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will learn as you go and your on the right track with reading up on things. I'm new to this site but not new to the hobby (since 1993) Just take your time and pay attention to your system. It will tell you when things are out of balance. I still scratch my head from time to time, then go back to the basics and kick myself in the a** for not realizing how simple the fix can be.

OP
OP
Lucky713

Lucky713

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my replacement "door" came today for my stand and it turns out they sent an entire new stand. I was somewhat expecting this after I got shipment tracking due to the package weight. Also the wife and I took a trip up to That Fish Place in Lancaster PA (a little over 2 hours away) in the snow. We were both very impressed and I am thinking that is where I will get my fish since my town doesn't really have any LFS (other than Petco/Petsmart). Has anyone had any experience with them? Would that long of a drive be ok? According to the staff they can go a maximum of 10-12 hours with the way they package. I performed a water test using the API Saltwater Master Test Kit PH is a bit low around 8.0 (not the easiest to read). Ammonia was at about 4ppm, Nitrite was 5ppm+, Nitrate was between 40ppm and 80ppm. Salinity was 1.026. Not really anything different as far as looks so no picture today. Thank you all for the kind comments so far I did read all of them and I'm sorry if I didn't respond personally I am new to using social media type stuff and not really used to it yet. I hope everyone has a great day.

Lazydayz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my replacement "door" came today for my stand and it turns out they sent an entire new stand. I was somewhat expecting this after I got shipment tracking due to the package weight. Also the wife and I took a trip up to That Fish Place in Lancaster PA (a little over 2 hours away) in the snow. We were both very impressed and I am thinking that is where I will get my fish since my town doesn't really have any LFS (other than Petco/Petsmart). Has anyone had any experience with them? Would that long of a drive be ok? According to the staff they can go a maximum of 10-12 hours with the way they package. I performed a water test using the API Saltwater Master Test Kit PH is a bit low around 8.0 (not the easiest to read). Ammonia was at about 4ppm, Nitrite was 5ppm+, Nitrate was between 40ppm and 80ppm. Salinity was 1.026. Not really anything different as far as looks so no picture today. Thank you all for the kind comments so far I did read all of them and I'm sorry if I didn't respond personally I am new to using social media type stuff and not really used to it yet. I hope everyone has a great day.
When I lived in Reading PA That Fish Place is where I got my fish from. I never had any problems with their fish or inverts. I wasn't keeping coral at that time so I'm not sure how their corals are.

OP
OP
Lucky713

Lucky713

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water test update. NH3/NH4 0.25, NO2 5.0+ (test was maxed out), NO3 between 80 and 160.
We are planning to go to the frag swap at That Fish Place on the 18th (just to see what it's like), I am hoping to be able to add my first fish then if not then I am prepared to be patient. Thank you for reading and have a wonderful day/night.

OP
OP
Lucky713

Lucky713

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been working on my stock list for corals and such. Do you guys think an Anemone would do ok in this tank? If not what corals would the clown interact with like an Anemone?

Lazydayz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been working on my stock list for corals and such. Do you guys think an Anemone would do ok in this tank? If not what corals would the clown interact with like an Anemone?
I have never kept an anemone yet but from what I have read it seems people have an easier time keeping them after their tank time to mature. Hopefully someone more experienced can chime in on that. My clowns love my Octospawn, they also play in my Duncan from time to time.
20200103_180150.jpg

20191014_121210.jpg

OP
OP
Lucky713

Lucky713

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never kept an anemone yet but from what I have read it seems people have an easier time keeping them after their tank time to mature. Hopefully someone more experienced can chime in on that. My clowns love my Octospawn, they also play in my Duncan from time to time.

Thank you for the tip. I am nowhere near ready for a nem yet just kinda making some more plans. I would love one but mainly for the clown. Love your pics btw. I will look up those corals.

Lazydayz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the tip. I am nowhere near ready for a nem yet just kinda making some more plans. I would love one but mainly for the clown.
I'm the same I love the way the clowns play in them. I only started keeping coral about 6 months ago so I'm nervous the anemone would move and sting the other corals.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back