My first reef tank build thread

Jake30man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys. I've been looking into staring a reef tank for about 3 years and have finally dove in. I am setting up a rimless 65 gallon reef tank with a 40 gallon sump. Follow along if you are interested and I definitely appreciate any advice!

OP
OP
Jake30man

Jake30man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the tank and the sump. I am working on setting up the plumbing. My goal is to make the plumbing super easy to take apart and put back together. Will add more pictures when it's all plumbed!

IMG_2523.jpg
IMG_2522.jpg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys. I've been looking into staring a reef tank for about 3 years and have finally dove in. I am setting up a rimless 65 gallon reef tank with a 40 gallon sump. Follow along if you are interested and I definitely appreciate any advice!
We're watching. don't forget the chaeto in the sump, a good fuge light, and a lid if you have any superman wannabees.
Watch your fish choices, many fish stores label reefsafe that we here might argue, with a bad experience.
Going to have fun, good luck.

OP
OP
Jake30man

Jake30man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're watching. don't forget the chaeto in the sump, a good fuge light, and a lid if you have any superman wannabees.
Watch your fish choices, many fish stores label reefsafe that we here might argue, with a bad experience.
Going to have fun, good luck.

Awesome! thanks for the tips Piston.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice little setup up you got!! I also like the rock scape! I put shelf rock all over my tank as well and the fish love it!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far! Bravo!

I'd hold off on any chaetomorpa for awhile till the tank matures and you have enough nutrients for it to up take.

OP
OP
Jake30man

Jake30man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure to keep the rocks far enough away from glass that you can clean if you want. I like the tank and scape too. Cannot wait to see this wet. What animals are you thinking?
I haven't really decided on what fish yet. I was planning on definitely starting with two clowns and then maybe a small yellow tang to help keep the algae down. I really want to get crabs and some other inverts but don't really know how far along the tank has to be before I can add them.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't really decided on what fish yet. I was planning on definitely starting with two clowns and then maybe a small yellow tang to help keep the algae down. I really want to get crabs and some other inverts but don't really know how far along the tank has to be before I can add them.

I always add a couple inverts before fish, and then add more as needed after the fish.

OP
OP
Jake30man

Jake30man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Finally got my aquascape all together. Pretty happy with how it came out, tons of cool little caves and arches. I don't like the ugly contrast between the white reef rock and the purple so I am looking forward to the arrival of some coralline algae!

Just through in the Microbacter quick start kit from BRS today to start the tanks cycle. Looking forward to that finishing and adding some critters. :)

The stand for the tank wasn't level as it was homemade by someone who gave it to me for free and I quickly realized the floor in our room, that was added on to our house was anything but level. After about two days of trying to get it level I just ended up "taking the L"... I plan on moving to a new house in about a year or so and getting a bigger tank anyways so it doesn't bother me that much right now.

IMG_2685.jpg
IMG_2687.jpg

IMG_2686.jpg

OP
OP
Jake30man

Jake30man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't posted any updates for a while but everything has been going really smooth. Ive been slowly adding corals and fish over the last couple months. I now have a pair of clowns, algae blenny, and a sail fin tang. As for the coral, I just have some zoas, a duncan, some GSP, Kenya tree, a super tiny toad stool, and a bit of dragon dragon breath (macro algae). I also scored about a 5" Arizona Sunset BTA that is doing great. Im also working on building up my CUC. So far I've got a few Trochus Snails and Some blue leg hermits. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_3128.jpg
    IMG_3128.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3129.jpg
    IMG_3129.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3146.jpg
    IMG_3146.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3147.jpg
    IMG_3147.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3192.jpg
    IMG_3192.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3196.jpg
    IMG_3196.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3200.jpg
    IMG_3200.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 41

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back