My first ReefPi build questions

arossow74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all you ReefPi builders out there. I am starting my first build and have a few questions that I can't seem to find answers to. Wondering if you can help me out?
First, this is actually for a fresh-water planted tank. My goals for this build are the following(ranking is importance to me):
  • Automatic water change system (found this thread which sound like what I am looking for here...https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-pi-an-opensource-reef-tank-controller-based-on-raspberry-pi.289256/post-7319738)
    • Temp monitoring/heater control of reservoir. (in the adjacent room)
    • Autofill of reservoir via solenoid
    • Dosing water clarifier to reservoir
    • Water remove pump in main tank
    • Pump in tank to pump water from reservoir to main tank
    • This would all happen timed on a daily bases
  • Dosing ferts and liquid CO2 in display tank(maybe eventually moving to actually CO2)
  • Temp Control/monitoring
  • Basic lighting control
  • Power control of things like canister filter, air pump, etc
I have most of the main components at this point including a Pi4 for the main controller. I also have a Pi0.
First question: Can I have the Pi0 running in the same interface at the Pi4 and be able to use its i/o's as triggers/outputs on macros built in the main interface. For example, my AWC reservoir tank will be in the next room maybe 25 feet from the display tank. Can I have the fill solenoid and float sensors connected to the Pi0 and feed status to the Pi4?
  1. Timer on Pi4 initiate AWC
  2. turn on pump to remove water from main tank (using float sensors to control amount with timer backup) (all connected to Pi4)
  3. turn on pump in ATO to refill tank
    1. float sensors in display tank connected to Pi4
    2. float sensors in reservoir connected to Pi0
    3. fill pump most likely controlled by HS103 on Pi4
  4. Temp 1-wire in reservoir connected to Pi0
    1. Reservoir heater controlled by HS103 on Pi4
  5. Solenoid to fill reservoir on Pi0
Sorry for the long rambling question, but any help would be appreciated.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to install two different reef-pi, for each of the pi. i would suggest starting slow and first develop/practice the pi 4 based functionality, see how it goes and then extend it to use the pi zero. I dont see any particular reason to control the pi zero reef-pi from pi 4, you can run them independently,

'I do have plans to add ability to control one reef-pi from another, but that will take some time to develop and test

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 135 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back