My first tang!

I have seen copperbands in nature the size of plates, never see them that big in tanks either.
I did

At a restaurant tank in Oahu

Blue tangs
Yellow tangs
Naso tangs

The size of plates or basketballs

Tank had to be 15 feet tall, huge

I remember thinking, "even those yellows must be $1000 each, the nasos $3000". This was the 90s, and yellows were $8 fish

I have never seen any other tank specimens that large before or since

It was a month after Iniki, so whenever that was. Just checked, 1992
 
Can you tell my looking at these pictures? He’s still a little bitty guy.
What do you think?
Pulled from facebook, not mine.
Screenshot_20240615_191245_Chrome.jpg
 
What do you think?
Pulled from facebook, not mine.
Screenshot_20240615_191245_Chrome.jpg
Looks similar! My guy came to be a little bit more of a gray color
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0172.jpeg
    IMG_0172.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 79
Well … we are going to need a bigger boat.
1718498710347.gif

Probably at least a 300 gallon if it is the fish we think it is!

Edit looked into it, minimum looks like a 360! Big big fish!
 
Last edited:
Crap lol…. I picked up some bristle tooth because they stay fairly small compared to most
If dussomieri, will grow quite quickly and can get temperamental. Mine went from 3" to 8" in 4 -5 months
 
If dussomieri, will grow quite quickly and can get temperamental. Mine went from 3" to 8" in 4 -5 months
Haha I guess I’ll find out in a few months. I will try to get a better picture of him when I get home. I’ll turn on all my whites to give you a better idea. I’m really hoping it is what I thought, but I’m sure my LFS will take him on trade. I don’t think I could get a 300 gallon in my house safely without the floor collapsing lol. I live in an old farmhouse so the floors are not the greatest.
 
If dussomieri, will grow quite quickly and can get temperamental. Mine went from 3" to 8" in 4 -5 months
Here is a pic from the shop I believe .
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0180.png
    IMG_0180.png
    500.9 KB · Views: 75
This is a juv. Look very similar to me
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5767.png
    IMG_5767.png
    542.6 KB · Views: 73

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new