My first test I think I have a ionic imbalance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

High Plains Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my results back and it looks like I may have a ionic imbalance the test says my salinity is very low but my refrac says it isn't how would i correct it

Attachments

• doc.pdf
    125 KB · Views: 177

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the same post?

I would agree that your salinity looks way low, how do you calibrate your refractometer?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I can open it on a different device now, and yes, that salinity is very low, but the conflict with the refractometer is not due to an "imbalance". A refractometer would read that as very low too.

So if it still reads normal after recalibration, and there's no chance the tank water got diluted before going to Triton, I'd get a new batch of calibration fluid, and in the meantime, calibrate with RO/DI and see what difference that makes.

OP
OP
H

High Plains Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so I borrowed another refrac from the LFS and checked mine it was way off I calibrated it with ro water and am in the process of rasing salinity hopefully this will correct my other elements that are also low but we will see this is going to take a while because my salinity was so low

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using my salinity calculation spreadsheet, I get S=24.77 for your posted results. If you allowed evaporation to raise salinity to 35 without changing anything else, or any consumption, you'd end up with:

Na 10123
Ca 496.3
Mg 1684
K 350
Br 49.4
B 10.1
Sr 9.5
S 859.8

Back