My first two inhabitants aren't looking well...

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was hoping someone could help me out here. I have had a clove polyp group and a zoa that appear not to be doing well. The tank is 4 months old, cycled. Cloves are about a month old and zoas two weeks. Cloves extended well for about 3 weeks, zoas for one. Now they look sickly and the zoas look kind of dim and not opening. 90 gal.
SG 35
Ph 7.7 low 8.0 high.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Ca 497
Mg 1300
Alk 6.9

Two chromis are doing great (76 day quarantine, in tank 3 weeks or so. Major diatom outbreak under way which may also have some gha... any ideas/ advice?

IMG_0451.JPG
IMG_0452.JPG
IMG_0453.JPG
IMG_0455.JPG
IMG_0454.JPG
IMG_0456.JPG

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clove will not tolerate algae growth near their stocks.
Have your tried different placement with the zoanthids? How far away are the from the lighting?

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 hydra he 26s on a 90 gal. I ramped them up over the last few weeks to about40% and are probably 24" from the lights. The cloves were sold to me that way and I didn't notice when they were fully extended until they closed and I saw the algae. How do I get it out- should I just take them out and manually remove the algae?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PM me you email and I will send over my Hydra settings so that you can upload and try them. I would do a 3 week acclimation cycle if you do. I would bump up you alk to a 7.7 slowly so that your corals will start absorbing more nutrients and coral building elements.
What is your phosphate reading?
What test kits are you using?
You have the green hair algae in the cloves/palm coral caused most likely by high phosphates and the nitrates are fine but feeding the phosphate which in turn is grown that nice green hair algae:rolleyes::D

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphate should be around .02 to .03. Most likely caused by the dry rock leaching phosphates. Use Phosphate RX that will bring down your phosphates, then run a little GFO.

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphate should be around .02 to .03. Most likely caused by the dry rock leaching phosphates. Use Phosphate RX that will bring down your phosphates, then run a little GFO.

I used reefrock2.1 dry with live sand. My RODI is 0 TdS.

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PM me you email and I will send over my Hydra settings so that you can upload and try them. I would do a 3 week acclimation cycle if you do. I would bump up you alk to a 7.7 slowly so that your corals will start absorbing more nutrients and coral building elements.
What is your phosphate reading?
What test kits are you using?
You have the green hair algae in the cloves/palm coral caused most likely by high phosphates and the nitrates are fine but feeding the phosphate which in turn is grown that nice green hair algae:rolleyes::D

Agreed. I would raise your alk.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used reefrock2.1 dry with live sand. My RODI is 0 TdS.

the dry tends to do that in the process of cleaning phosphates are absorbed. Even in the reef rock I have had it happen.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think it will go away on its own with gfo and phosphate rx?
With time it will starve out having the phosphate under control. If you can grab some hemostats and try to carefully pick some of the long stuff out.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clove polyps like good strong flow. I was having issues with mine until I moved them to a high flow area.

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one Mexican turbo and two I identified (I forgot). I am getting another turbo tomorrow (or two)
In a 90 gallon your going to need a bit more ;). hermits would be better once you manually remove as much you can. What you can do is place the frag in a bowl with the hermits so they can't go anywhere and they'll go straight for the algae and start picking away!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 115 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back