my floating reef, what do you think?

needbiggertanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to add that i love the rocks on the sand at the right... i think it makes it look way better than if you left that out.

679x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef drop offs and caves are a real thing. This is like taking a cave ledge and placing it in a tank. Definitely natural.
Ugh, I've already argued about this.

Yes, they are a real thing. I am aware of that. A fish tank is like a shrunken-down reef. But as you said, it's like taking a cave ledge and placing it in a tank. On its own it looks weird to me, because it takes up the entire tank, and looks like it has nothing holding it up. Which to me looks unnatural.

In other words, if fish tanks are shrunken-down reefs, this one does not look shrunken down, and makes it look almost out of proportion, I guess, which is what I meant when I said it takes up the entire tank. Just my opinion, and I'm not changing it, so I wish people would stop telling me I'm wrong.

OP
OP
Lunulata

Lunulata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, they are a real thing. I am aware of that. A fish tank is like a shrunken-down reef. But as you said, it's like taking a cave ledge and placing it in a tank. On its own it looks weird to me, because it takes up the entire tank, and looks like it has nothing holding it up. Which to me looks unnatural.

In other words, if fish tanks are shrunken-down reefs, this one does not look shrunken down, and makes it look almost out of proportion, I guess, which is what I meant when I said it takes up the entire tank. Just my opinion, and I'm not changing it, so I wish people would stop telling me I'm wrong.

You are right, my tank is not everyone taste :) would be boring if anybody likes the same things.

Can certainly understand when people say it looks unnatural... it is not something you would see everywhere. :)

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would like to apologize. I did see you your post from earlier in the thread. I spoke too soon. My bad. Everyone has their own opinions[emoji6][emoji1360]

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome man!

DanP-SD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a large looking Volitans Lionfish and some small-looking anthias. Has that worked out well? How big are they? I ask because I love lionfish but have been reluctant to add them to my reef for fear of what they'll eat.

BTW, great tank. I don't really know (or care) if it looks natural or unnatural. It looks good and would be a great conversation piece in any house, plus the benefits of an open sand bed and flow all around the rock are probably pretty significant. You just need to find a mini submarine camera and you'll have the best pics on the forum.

OP
OP
Lunulata

Lunulata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
you are right, the flow is great in my tank :)

I actually have a submarine cam, but havent really figured out how to make great pics :D
haha

about the Lion, I fed him pretty well... and a lot... But he was in there just for a few weeks as a friends shop hasent got the space to keep him.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back