My Helth and fraging hard to breathe question

juboy27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last Sunday I was moving corals and fragging them on to rock and fragging SPS about 6:30pm by 8:30pm that same evening, my neck was itching a lot, and I found it hard to breathe for about three hours,

This Sunday about the same timescale doing the same thing. This time I wore gloves with elastic bands around and a mask thinking it was something to do with the tank anyway one hour after I had exactly the same symptoms as last weekend the front of my neck itches and I find it hard to breathe again

I have a very mixed reef tank with lots of SPS I am just putting this out there if anyone has had the same symptoms as Me ,could it be I am allergic to one of the corals, my mucus in my mouth has got a funny taste to it as well

If anyone has had symptoms like this, could they let me know it would help me diagnose them and what I’m doing wrong when moving corals/fraging
Would appreciate anyone’s information. Thanks

Just one other thing I thought of, I mixed a 50-50, mix of hydrogen peroxide to get some algae off of my rock I was scrubbing a rock with a toothbrush, could this possibly be the cause?

IMG_0379.jpeg IMG_0378.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have allergies and to me that sounds like an allergic reaction, maybe you are allergic to something? I also have asthma so when allgeries bother me, I also have trouble breathing.

I have no advice, so hope you can find the cause and solution, good luck.

Pwnm30rdi3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have allergies and to me that sounds like an allergic reaction, maybe you are allergic to something? I also have asthma so when allgeries bother me, I also have trouble breathing.

I have no advice, so hope you can find the cause and solution, good luck.

Same here, when my allergies get going it also triggers my asthma.

My arms break out in hives anytime I have them in the tank bare.

Not medical advice, but have you tried taking OTC allergy medication? (Benadryl, Zyrtec, etc.)

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6:30pm by 8:30pm that same evening, my neck was itching a lot, and I found it hard to breathe for about three hours,

This Sunday about the same timescale doing the same thing. This time I wore gloves with elastic bands around and a mask thinking it was something to do with the tank anyway one hour after I had exactly the same symptoms as last weekend the front of my neck itches and I find it hard to breathe again

could it be I am allergic to one of the corals, my mucus in my mouth has got a funny taste to it as well

There have been a couple of recent threads discussing palytoxin.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/palytoxin-chemistry.964804/

Are these Palythoa? close up pics of these?
Screen Shot 2024-02-12 at 5.43.29 AM.png

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using an electric cutter, the speed can spray a mist in the air. If you are cutting in a room with no air movement and no open ventillation, you could be breathing in that mist. If you happen to also cut palys while doing to sps, that could be your issue and if thats all your getting from inhilation, consider yourself lucky. Not all will do this but some will. I have a few people and a few I read on here have been hospitalized from them.

Either way glad it was temporary. Might want to invest in a resporator device just in case of allergic reaction.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back