View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I not running any doser or calcium reactor
I set my range between 7.8 and 7.9
It will drop to less then 7.8 daily at about the same time
What can I do to reduce or eliminate the big dip

I don't think your alk swing of 7.6 to 7.9 is unstable relative to what is considered stable alk level over the course of a day.

I try to avoid having my alkatronic dose if possible by fine tuning my normal method of adding alk and then just have the alkatronic adjust if needed. I aim for my alkatronic to shut off my Kalkwasser reactor dosing pump when the dKh value hits the high end parameter. Usually I don't end up dosing via the alkatronic much and I will get multiple testing points in a row that stay within my set parameters. Also I am able to only test every 4 hours if the parameters stay in check over multiple test points. less testing reagent and less wear and tear on the alkatronic hopefully! Works for me so far! good luck:)

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily a review of how my coral are reacting, but I definitely have more stability with my tank and my SPS are encrusting beautifully and I have good growth as well. To give you an idea, I can no longer use my kalk stirrer because it no longer can keep up with the calcium usage. So I guess that's a good sign of things going in the right direction. :)

Just think about it, the main aspect to a thriving system is stability. With the Alkatronic it will help you maintain one of the most critical components in a reef tank, dKH.
What are you doing now to add calcium and alkalinity? Did you keep your stirrer and added something like a reactor or 2 part? I’m heading that direction.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you doing now to add calcium and alkalinity? Did you keep your stirrer and added something like a reactor or 2 part? I’m heading that direction.

I ended up adding a CaRx. Working fairly well. Definitely not having to dose any calcium/magnesium or even worry about the levels with the reactor.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size reagent reservoir do yall recommend. I know that it only need hold 1250ml for the total volume using the reagent included.

But long run, what diy are yall using?

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also forgot to ask. I got 3 diff tubing sizes. Anyone know what the largest diameter is for? It is about 15 inches in total length, middle must be the 3.2 bc its 8 feet or so.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last question for now ;)

So if I just want to monitor my alk and not dose right now via Alkatronic, what do I do with the hoses connected to Alk in and alk out. Just dont connect the hosing?

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What size reagent reservoir do yall recommend. I know that it only need hold 1250ml for the total volume using the reagent included.

But long run, what diy are yall using?

I was able to get a nice sealed Tupperware container that holds 3700ml, lasts me prob 3 months testing every 3-4 hours.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx. did you also get a 3rd larger diamter silicon tubing piece. I just wanna confirm what its for, before I finish installing today.

Don't believe I did. Mine is from the first batch. I know they made some modifications since then. Maybe that tube is for the new drain that was added since I purchased a while ago.

Sean1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't believe I did. Mine is from the first batch. I know they made some modifications since then. Maybe that tube is for the new drain that was added since I purchased a while ago.
You are correct it’s for the new drain connection on the bottom of the unit

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct it’s for the new drain connection on the bottom of the unit
Yes, that is what I heard from Jonas. Still dont get how yall installed it or if it is necessary.

Finally set it up and the first two tests came out exactly to 6.36dkh vs Hanna Alk (7.45).

1. On the unit it said 6.36dkh then 4.2. What does 4.2 stand for?

2. How off were you all after initial setup, and how many were forced to do baseline callibrations?

Sean1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was around a 1 dkh but I corrected mine in the settings. Put what alkatronic said and then I also did my Hannah test twice and then put that number in for the calibration.

I didn’t hook up my emergency line. Like you I didn’t see it being to nessesary.

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, that is what I heard from Jonas. Still dont get how yall installed it or if it is necessary.

Finally set it up and the first two tests came out exactly to 6.36dkh vs Hanna Alk (7.45).

1. On the unit it said 6.36dkh then 4.2. What does 4.2 stand for?

2. How off were you all after initial setup, and how many were forced to do baseline callibrations?

It shouldn’t be that far off if calibrated well. I’d suggest going through the pump calibration again. Also you can test your PH probe in 4 and 7 to make sure it is on point. If after all that you’re still off, maybe mix up a small batch of new solution at 1:4 ration to see if it’s a solution issue. If after all of that you’re consistently still off by same amount, then I’d adjust the setting in the unit to offset the difference (but that’d be my last resort)

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did all that. Even measured my reagent with a kitchen scale. Since I just used the sample 250ml bottle, I will run with the basic callibration for now until reagent bottle runs out.

But ill keep testing with Hanna too to make sure.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do I need an apex or any other 3rd party monitor with this? I am thinking of buying it.

Also, does anyone know if there is any chance this will go on sale for black friday or if anyone has one for sale?

Thanks!!

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need an apex or any other 3rd party monitor with this? I am thinking of buying it.

Also, does anyone know if there is any chance this will go on sale for black friday or if anyone has one for sale?

Thanks!!
If you want to connect to an Apex, you need a PM1 module (or a free pH port) to connect the Alkatronic to the apex. You'll need a male BNC to male BNC cable too. The system can run totally self contained - it doesn't need to be connected to anything (other than the internet) to work. It will even dose and correct Alk itself with a built in dosing pump.

I doubt it will go on sale, but I imagine it's the vendor that will determine that. They tend to sell out very quickly when they hit the shelves.

Kalibur2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure this has been discussed can I use my Neptune’s dos. To dose alkalinity to make adjustments with Alkatronic?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back