My Honest Opinion About The Alkatronic

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that have a Alkatronic and Apex, is there a difference in BNC cables? I’m trying to order one and need about 8-12 feet of cable. I’m seeing all kinds of cables from audio to video BNC? Can someone assist me in getting the correct cable?

Thank you in advance
AFAIK, they're all the same. It's just a shield and a center conductor with the bnc ends on it, just get whatever you find.

Sean1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFAIK, they're all the same. It's just a shield and a center conductor with the bnc ends on it, just get whatever you find.

I have a bnc connector left over from installing security cameras would this work.? It looks to be the same type of connection

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it fits, it should work. The security cameras usually use RG59 which has more shielding/insulation than a typical BNC but it'll likely be just fine

Sean1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it fits, it should work. The security cameras usually use RG59 which has more shielding/insulation than a typical BNC but it'll likely be just fine

I’m ok with trial and error but could there be any harm to the equipment if it doesn’t work out? Or isn’t the right bnc?

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nah it's just a one way signal, there's no feedback loop. it's not going to hurt anything. either it'll work, or it won't

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some questions about the alkatronic I hope someone can help
I observe everyday at certain hours there is a dip.
Is there any thing I can do to reduce the dip ?
I attached a photo for your reference

alkatronic.jpg

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I not running any doser or calcium reactor
I set my range between 7.8 and 7.9
It will drop to less then 7.8 daily at about the same time
What can I do to reduce or eliminate the big dip

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I don't see anything wrong here. The alkatronic is reacting to the increased dkh use and dosing appropriately. You're talking hundredths of a dkh here - if you want it more stable, you have to set up an external dosing regimen outside of the Alkatronic, as it's only going to be reactive - unless you dose MORE each time it runs, which could have other consequences. You can probably do this by changing the tank volume to make it think it needs to dose more.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't take my opinion on what you COULD do as what you SHOULD do. Personally, I wouldn't touch it. Looks fine to me. A dKH swing of .15 to .05 is nothing to worry about.

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that have a Alkatronic and Apex, is there a difference in BNC cables? I’m trying to order one and need about 8-12 feet of cable. I’m seeing all kinds of cables from audio to video BNC? Can someone assist me in getting the correct cable?

Thank you in advance
Monoprice.com - these work great and are cheap! Prices shown includes shipping from US to CANADA.

Product
Qty. Price Total
ico_circle_black.gif
8811 Monoprice BNC M/M RG59U - 3ft 1 $1.92 $1.92
ico_circle_black.gif
626 Monoprice BNC M/M RG59U - 6ft 1 $2.35 $2.35
ico_circle_black.gif
627 Monoprice BNC M/M RG59U - 12ft 1 $3.63 $3.63
Subtotal : $7.90
Shipping & Handling Cost : $5.78
Grand Total : $13.68

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I understand what you're asking. To get the settings to show up in the cloud, you need to make sure that the alkatronic is connected to the internet. There's a number of ways to troubleshoot it that are documented elsewhere, but the big thing is if you're getting a graph online at the alkatronic website, then there's no reason the cloud based settings shouldn't work. http://www.focustronic.net/alkatronic-cloud/main is the link I use. My settings look like the screen shot you provided.
Screenshot_2018-11-01 14.17.19_NpPEnG.png

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just occurred to me that maybe you're not using the form right? You have to select the white radio box on the left to activate that particular area to be changed. I don't believe, in most cases, that it will show you the current setting - it'll just let you change the setting which then downloads to the alkatronic.

Frogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some questions about the alkatronic I hope someone can help
I observe everyday at certain hours there is a dip.
Is there any thing I can do to reduce the dip ?
I attached a photo for your reference
Whats the accuracy of the unit? A Hanna Alkalinity tester is plus or minus 5ppm. That is a possible swing of .6 dkh. Your swing is half of that. It could in all likely be just within the error of the unit.

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just occurred to me that maybe you're not using the form right? You have to select the white radio box on the left to activate that particular area to be changed. I don't believe, in most cases, that it will show you the current setting - it'll just let you change the setting which then downloads to the alkatronic.
OK. I thought it is live.
Thank You for the highlight

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the accuracy of the unit? A Hanna Alkalinity tester is plus or minus 5ppm. That is a possible swing of .6 dkh. Your swing is half of that. It could in all likely be just within the error of the unit.
5ppm is .28dKH afaik, so yeah, .56dKH swing.

the Alkatronic is +- 0.05dKH, so .1dKH swing. He's still well within that range and, IMO, a very stable alk. No need to mess with that.

Sean1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monoprice.com - these work great and are cheap! Prices shown includes shipping from US to CANADA.

Product
Qty. Price Total
ico_circle_black.gif
8811 Monoprice BNC M/M RG59U - 3ft 1 $1.92 $1.92
ico_circle_black.gif
626 Monoprice BNC M/M RG59U - 6ft 1 $2.35 $2.35
ico_circle_black.gif
627 Monoprice BNC M/M RG59U - 12ft 1 $3.63 $3.63
Subtotal : $7.90
Shipping & Handling Cost : $5.78
Grand Total : $13.68

Thank you very much!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%

Back