OP
OP
James M

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news the clown did not make it through the night . I don’t know what went wrong . Stress?

OP
OP
James M

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking good today( looks better in person ) . I had to turn off the pump because it was making a loud grinding noise ,so I took it apart to see if there was anything but i saw nothing. I contacted IM and the replacement is currently coming in the mail

10FB4BDE-2164-42E7-993F-4953F82CB617.jpeg

Last edited:

Mycota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news the clown did not make it through the night . I don’t know what went wrong . Stress?
Was all the rock and sand from the old tank or was any of it new? Also did you clean the new aquarium in any way before adding stuff?

I typically let a tank run with no livestock for at least a few weeks (if using all aged live rock and rinsed live sand and water from another tank) before adding anything alive. If any dry rock was used i would probably give it a month at least, more if its all dry rock. If you test ammonia/nitrate/nitrite daily you can watch for a cycle. Even the change in lighting/flow can cause die off on aged live rock.

Mycota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking good today( looks better in person ) . I had to turn off the pump because it was making a lid grinding noise ,so I took it apart to see if there was anything but i saw nothing. I contacted IM and the replacement is currently coming in the mail

10FB4BDE-2164-42E7-993F-4953F82CB617.jpeg
Oh i just saw you have coral in there already too. How are they? Do they seem stressed at all?

The fish could have succumbed to stress or shock. Could have already been sick. Could have got injured in the tank transfer. Sometimes its hard to determine why.

I'd say just take it slow, monitor things, and do weekly water changes.

OP
OP
James M

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh i just saw you have coral in there already too. How are they? Do they seem stressed at all?

The fish could have succumbed to stress or shock. Could have already been sick. Could have got injured in the tank transfer. Sometimes its hard to determine why.

I'd say just take it slow, monitor things, and do weekly water changes.
The zoas, frogspawn , and hammer are coming back out . The frogspawn fully expanded for a while . I used new live sand and have been curing a piece of rock for this tank .

Mycota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zoas, frogspawn , and hammer are coming back out . The frogspawn fully expanded for a while . I used new live sand and have been curing a piece of rock for this tank .
I'd have saltwater premade and change as needed. I'd test ammonia, nitrate, nitrite daily. Keep them in acceptable levels. Id honestly move your coral and anything else living back to your old tank if possible and wait for the new tank to equilibrate. If its mostly new dry rock expect fluctuations in parameters.

OP
OP
James M

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with parameters and did a tank transfer. I no longer have the 20 gallon running.

OP
OP
James M

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys clean the outside of you glas with ?
New stock pump came in the mail today , so now it’s nice and quite .

Last edited:

Mycota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys clean the outside of you glas with ?
New stock pump came in the mail today , so now it’s nice and quite .
I use RODI and a rag. Too afraid to use an ammonia based glass cleaner. If you wipe it really well you wont get streaks.

Glad they replaced the pump for you!

OP
OP
James M

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use RODI and a rag. Too afraid to use an ammonia based glass cleaner. If you wipe it really well you wont get streaks.

Glad they replaced the pump for you!
I found and old white t shirt and it works really good.

OP
OP
James M

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to do an update. I recently got a rainbow BTA that seems to be doing good. Also picked up some Kenya and Xenia. I’m planning to get fishes on Monday because I’m gone for the rest of the week.
AD9D5AF3-1CC5-4BEB-8E2A-A33CBB498AD5.jpeg

Mycota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to do an update. I recently got a rainbow BTA that seems to be doing good. Also picked up some Kenya and Xenia. I’m planning to get fishes on Monday because I’m gone for the rest of the week.
AD9D5AF3-1CC5-4BEB-8E2A-A33CBB498AD5.jpeg
I want a BTA in my 20 but i have been advised they get too big. Will definitely be following how it works out for you. Keep us updated!

OP
OP
James M

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update : picked up a bi color blenny today and when I released him into the tank today he perched on my hand and wouldn’t leave until I gave him a little nudge . After leaving for 5 days the bta seems to being doing good. Try to get pics of the blenny tomorrow

OP
OP
James M

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to do a update. Bi color blenny is still shy but I see him in his cave. Picked up 4 frags and a tuxedo urchin for $50. The anemone is doing good but chooses the back of the Rock work :rolleyes:
I’m stuck on the stocking list because i want a angelfish but I know my tank is too small.

D59A1852-D29C-47D8-93D2-9A08BCF77902.jpeg

35EA8B6A-074D-49EC-B6F6-92BD7CC86BAE.jpeg

F653E536-0B67-40FA-AE01-1CBDADD143E1.jpeg

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe think about an azure damsel instead of the angel? Similar color scheme and both swim and peck at rocks. I definitely know the pull to get something outside what the tank can comfortably handle at the same time I think a lot more joy comes from a successful, lower stress tank.

OP
OP
James M

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of getting a angelfish and using it as an excuse to get another tank. I’ve bad experience with damsels being annoying. I was looking to get a wrasse of some sort

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back