My IM NUVO 20

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a questions: Are the stock filter socks hard to clean ? I plan on keeping one and replacing the other with a DIY media basket

It’s okay if I add Carib live sand right ? I plan on transferring everything at once, So I could I add the rock and then sand ?
The filter socks work really well, but are kind of a pain to clean. I soak them in diluted bleach for 1-2 days, then rinse the heck out of em. Floss doesn’t catch everything, but you don’t have to clean cause it’s so cheap to replace. So both have their strengths

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter socks work really well, but are kind of a pain to clean. I soak them in diluted bleach for 1-2 days, then rinse the heck out of em. Floss doesn’t catch everything, but you don’t have to clean cause it’s so cheap to replace. So both have their strengths
A
I had a questions: Are the stock filter socks hard to clean ? I plan on keeping one and replacing the other with a DIY media basket

It’s okay if I add Carib live sand right ? I plan on transferring everything at once, So I could I add the rock and then sand ?
And yes, you’re good to add the live sand right away

OP
OP
James M

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to use filter floss in media baskets. Its cheaper and less effort than cleaning/replacing socks. They do work well but i didnt notice a difference when i switched to floss.

I can't comment on the live sand. Ive always used dried. Sandbeds get nasty over time. Good to have a fish that sifts it or snails that burrow in it but dont add those until the sandbed matures for a few months.
I plan on doing a goby/shrimp pair

OP
OP
James M

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to use filter floss in media baskets. Its cheaper and less effort than cleaning/replacing socks. They do work well but i didnt notice a difference when i switched to floss.

I can't comment on the live sand. Ive always used dried. Sandbeds get nasty over time. Good to have a fish that sifts it or snails that burrow in it but dont add those until the sandbed matures for a few months.
I plan on doing a goby/shrimp pair

OP
OP
James M

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun pair to have. I had those in a 20g long build with a deep sand bed years ago when a deep sand bed was recommended lol
I find them really interesting , how many pounds of sand did you use ?

Mycota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find them really interesting , how many pounds of sand did you use ?
Im pretty sure i used 2 bags. I don't remember what size bags. It was around 4 inches deep in the tank.

OP
OP
James M

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah , I don’t like the deep sand bed look
Can I still get a goby ?

Mycota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah , I don’t like the deep sand bed look
Can I still get a goby ?
Sure. Just give about an inch sandbed and let the sandbed mature a few months before adding your pair. They will constantly be rearranging your sandbed so you could always add more if you wanted.

OP
OP
James M

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. Just give about an inch sandbed and let the sandbed mature a few months before adding your pair. They will constantly be rearranging your sandbed so you could always add more if you wanted.
Thank you

OP
OP
James M

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank arrives in a couple of hours and I’m excited lol

OP
OP
James M

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is HERE !!!! Test leaking it for a couple of hours

4DF9CDCF-612A-4228-8A92-646A5D30F96E.jpeg

OP
OP
James M

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to take progression pics :/ , but here is the final setup . A bit cloudy from the sand but hopefully it will clear up tomorrow.
Anyone know how to make the stock pump not noisy ? Its louder than what I expected

BA7D6C48-88DE-4900-B86A-EFBA157D359C.jpeg

Mycota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to take progression pics :/ , but here is the final setup . A bit cloudy from the sand but hopefully it will clear up tomorrow.
Anyone know how to make the stock pump not noisy ? Its louder than what I expected

BA7D6C48-88DE-4900-B86A-EFBA157D359C.jpeg
Mine doesnt make any noise. I cant remember if it has suction cups on the bottom of the pump or not. If so maybe they came undone. You might also pull it out and make sure the magnet and impeller are set in correctly. If its vibrating onto the glass you could try putting something to pad it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back