Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share my experience.

Recently I sent in an ecotech Gen 4 XR30w and also a Kessil 360we light to each company under warranty.

So from day one Ecotech did not even return my emails and finally I just called and got an RMA number from them. Then I was told that unfortunately the light had water damage and that it would not be covered under warranty. Their solution was to give me a discount so I could purchase a new one for only $450 plus shipping. There obviously was no water damage but just a faulty product that they refused to replace. Anyway after paying them and waiting another week they sent me a new light and kept my power supply. So after another call I was finally able to get another power supply sent out. Thanks Ecotech.

Now for my exact opposite experience with Kessil. Within hours of submitting my email I was responded back too. I was then walked thru several troubleshooting steps and after still no luck I was told I had two options. I could pay a refundable deposit and they would ship me a new light same day and refund my deposit once they recieved my broken light back or they could email me a prepaid shipping label and as soon as they recieved my light they would ship a new one out. Fortunately my tank is lit by 4 kessils and 4 t5's so I choose to mail mine back and wait on a new one.

Long story short, I've posted the radion light up for sale and Kessil now has a customer for life. I'm glad to know that when you spend a premium for a premium product that there are still SOME out there that stand behind that product.

THANK YOU KESSIL!

Last edited:

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run radions but also have run kessils. I also had an issue with ecotech customer service and wasn’t thrilled with it. Kessil was a much better result. They offered much better solutions to my problem. Even though I’m running all radions now my hat does go off to kessil for better customer service

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 3 360 non WE when they were released and 2 went bad in a month. Bad batch. Kessil answered the phone asked where I purchased the lights. Asked for the serial number.

I had thrown away the serial number sticker because it looked ugly now I save them. Kessil was ok I didn't have the number shipped me lights the same day with a return label for the bad ones and all they asked for was a CC number in case I never shipped the bad ones back. Thanks Kessil

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new, just 2.5 yrs reefing. I had a couple ai 26hd lights, got a hold of an a360we and ran it along side my 26hd for comparison. In less than a minute I was sold on the kessil shimmer. I now have 5 a360we and plan to upgrade next year. I plan on the new 360x, but was also thinking (very lightly) about the ecotech. I noticed a lot of commercial farmers use them, but then those are grow out frag tanks, not displays. Anyway, I did want to see them side by side against a kessil. But after reading about kessils great service, I don't think I'm even going to bother. Actually, I dont know why I even considered something different. That shimmer is the first thing you notice walking up to the tank.

OP
OP
TheOne

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, good question. I've had two gen 4 radions fail and two a360we's fail in the past two years. Also two older generation MP40's. That's why I need a manufacturer that will stand behind their product. I don't consider these throw away items. Now I also learn that the 750xxl tanks are having problems with the stands and of course that is the tank I own too. Can't somebody make something that will last in this hobby, ha.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My a 360s last 5-6 years this is fine with me ( Some last longer. Still have an original non WE going) compared to a halide with anual bulb replacements and and an increased energy bill the kessils are still a good deal for me. I also ask my self what $500 electronic do I expect to last more than 5-6 years. Phone, computer, tablet, tv I upgrade all of those about every 5-6 years anyway so I don’t think the lifespan is unreasonable.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My a 360s last 5-6 years this is fine with me ( Some last longer. Still have an original non WE going) compared to a halide with anual bulb replacements and and an increased energy bill the kessils are still a good deal for me. I also ask my self what $500 electronic do I expect to last more than 5-6 years. Phone, computer, tablet, tv I upgrade all of those about every 5-6 years anyway so I don’t think the lifespan is unreasonable.

5-6 years is not unreasonable. 1-2 is unreasonable.

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have much experience with Kessil but every time I've reached out to Ecotech, I've left my number for a call back and they've gotten back to me pretty quick. I've even encouraged other to stick with Ecotech products because they do have good customer service. I'm sorry you had a negative experience with them and I hope this is not an indicator of things going downhill for Ecotech.

Please note, it has always taken a day or two for them (Ecotech) to get back to me when I email customer support. That's why I usually just call and leave my number for a call back. I hate waiting on hold and they've always called me back in a reasonable window of time.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5-6 years is not unreasonable. 1-2 is unreasonable.
I can’t speak for everyone but my lights that died right away were admitted to be a bad batch and kessil immediately replaced the light at no cost to me the lights have a 2 year warranty so even if they fail in 1-2 years they will be replaced free of charge. I have had t5 ballasts fail in 1-2 years as well.

The most annoying thing about LEDs IMO is if they break there is nothing I can do as a user. If my halides or t5s break I can almost certainly fix them myself. I don’t think halides or t5s last longer but because all of the parts are replaceable I was able to keep the fixtures in service for far longer than LED fixtures.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'l share this anecdote about Kessil hardware:

My 360WE went for a swim in the sump one night -- thankfully after the photoperiod. I assumed it was toast, but what the heck I will try. I took at all apart and rinsed it in RO. Yup really did. Laid it all out to dry a couple days, then reassembled and presto. Works like a charm a year later.

The circuit board and connectors are all sealed in clear, rubberized epoxy. While I am sure this accident will shorten its life span, at will turn four years old this winter.

OP
OP
TheOne

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'l share this anecdote about Kessil hardware:

My 360WE went for a swim in the sump one night -- thankfully after the photoperiod. I assumed it was toast, but what the heck I will try. I took at all apart and rinsed it in RO. Yup really did. Laid it all out to dry a couple days, then reassembled and presto. Works like a charm a year later.

The circuit board and connectors are all sealed in clear, rubberized epoxy. While I am sure this accident will shorten its life span, at will turn four years old this winter.

I did that with a dji drone I had go for a swim in the lake. Rinsed and let it dry for a week. Thankfully it still works as they are not cheap.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the biggest issue with Kessil failures is people failing to clean them adequately. I purchased the two that are on our 75g used and they're still going strong three years later.

OP
OP
TheOne

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the biggest issue with Kessil failures is people failing to clean them adequately. I purchased the two that are on our 75g used and they're still going strong three years later.

I use a metro duster

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my experience w/ kessil has been the opposite. i got my lights on sale and they claimed since i got them for under MAP that they weren't under warranty. How the hell would i even know what MAP is when i go and pick them up, i just find the best price and buy from there.

OP
OP
TheOne

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I told them that I had bought my kessil light off of ebay brand new and at a discount $300 each. I bought three of them and was expecting the worst. I was asked for my serial number and told that I was under warranty.

Anyway, If kessil would have given me the runaround like ecotech did I would have sold all of them also. I own 5 360we's and did own 3 Gen 4 xr30w's. The last one is in the trade section right now.

My next purchase would have been orphek atlantik v4's. I'm in no way brand loyal but customer service will be where my dollars go everytime.

OP
OP
TheOne

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious if Ecotech explained how they were able to ascertain that the light had water damage....

It's pretty obvious. You create a light with a mount that has the light about a foot over a huge tank full of saltwater and then you add a fan pointing straight down to suck up any moisture that rises. I may not be an engineer but neither was the person that created the lights for Ecotech I can assure you of that, ha.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • None.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.6%
Back