JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F130D539-C46A-4B49-9144-4D89E39966DC.jpeg
2EC2D48D-33D9-4F29-B177-9B32F6CDF2DE.jpeg

on the eve of the arrival of thier intended new home, a 180 Custom Aquariums build, I thought I might share a few things I have encountered and learned over the past several months.
First and biggest lesson...have the display tank up and running well before ordering the fish!
Not me, have had these guys for about 5 months so far. All living in a 40 breeder which has been ok but they tend to get bored easily and I would use a 55 with some rock in it if I had it to do over. In fact with the advent of the Hanna checker and it’s ability to give us much better control of our copper levels I will place rock in my next qt. This is hopefully a way to give the fish something to do , picking at the rock. I can add clams and mastic etc. to the rocks to encourage them to pick away.
My next lesson was to acquire med. size fish, not little guys. Though some might have success with small butterflies I had none at all. They simply don’t have any reserves built up yet so waste away quickly if they don’t take to food post haste. Let’s face it, they are tough buggers to get eating.
My first try was a pearlscale, raccoon, and latticed ,all small and none took to food soon enough to survive.
Second time around I purchased a pearlscale, latticed, dash dot, saddleback, Kline’s, raccoon and teardrop. All but the teardrop were med. size fish. The teardrop came in as a much bigger fish then the rest. These fish all had more meat to them so I had a bit more time to get them eating. The above picture gives you an idea the size difference. The raccoon is the smallest of all the fish.
I lost the latticed after about two weeks. It just never really ate well, even black worms. The rest did a bit better. I lost the pearlscale a month ago out of the clear blue. Just didn’t show for breakfast . Just lost the dash dot this morning, same thing, food hit the water and it didn’t make its usual appearance. No clue about the pearlscale but I believe the dot dash starved. At first it was a strong eater, frozen, worms and some flakes but with that small mouth and it’s desire to forage the bottom slowly it just slowly faded. I knew it was lighter of late but it still ate every meal till today.
So I have 4 left and all eat well. The raccoon just started eating flakes last week and really tears into then now. The Klein’s eats anything I throw in the tank and the teardrop, well let’s just say it’s a bit more selective but not as bad as the saddleback. Teardrop eats flakes and pellets and black worms but nothing else, period. Saddleback eats frozen and mostly the mysis out of it and nothing else. Not even black worms wiggling in front of it. It’s something to watch though as it attacker’s the food, literally strikes each piece with a thrash of its head as it does so. I still have hope it will eventually take to other foods. Second picture shows the saddleback and Klein’s. The Klein’s or Orange butterfly has been a good fish to have as it took right to frozen and I believe it’s enthusiasm for food helped encourage a few others to eat.
I think that’s enough for now as tomorrow will come early for me and this has gotten a bit long winded. I will add a bit more later on including my wish list for further additions to my butterfly collection.
Thanks and good night,
Jim

OP
OP
JMM744

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Onward ho! Speaking of food, one of the best foods I have found are the black worms ordered out of California. I can add at least a hundred to the tank at a time and the fish destroy them. Everyone except the saddleback that is. They stuff themselves.
I have found the appetite of Butterflies to be unquenchable. I can add food every hour and they go to town on it. I have yet to add an auto feeder though as not everyone eats pellets so I still hand feed. I wish I could find black worms locally as I would feed them much more often. As of now I might order some every other month or less. It’s just too expensive with over nite shipping.
My frozen food is hand made and includes clam, shrimp,white fish meat, mysis and brine shrimp and anything else I might come across and kept frozen till I need to make a batch for the week.
R2R has some great recipes in the nutrition forum. Check ‘em out. Once I have my big reef running I will add some fish roe and other coral type foods to this mix. I always add selcon to my food and I keep the food refrigerated and try to get at least 5 days out of what I thaw out.
. Seeing as how Butterflies are prone to infections I feel like selcon is a cheap additive that might help. Honestly, I don’t know for sure but it’s highly recommended in the disease management forum and I trust the “brain trust “ a lot!
Since we are talking infection I might relate how I now qt new arrivals. This goes for every fish but butterflies are my subject.
A side note here...none of this is my original idea rather it all comes from the forums where disease is discussed . Please check the forum out and read all you can stand before ordering any fish. Learn, learn , learn!
Here you go! This ought to keep you busy for an hour or so.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-dos-and-don’ts-of-quarantine.203898/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-disease-index-pictorial-guide.285708/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/medications-to-keep-on-hand.213574/

I float the bags after arrival to get temps equal, then do a fresh water dip of each fish. Then they go into a small tank with a powerhead running and a bubbler and heater if needed. This bath lasts about an hour and half and really helps sooth the fish if they are carrying diseases and contains ruby reef rally,at recommended dosage.
From there they go into an appropriate size qt tank which for now only has saltwater in it. I keep lots of pvc pieces in the tank for the fish to hide in. Lights are out the first half day and only moderate lighting till I feel the fish are more comfortable.
If no velvet or ich raises its ugly head then prazipro is started and hopefully a complete course is completed.
If infection then I use this...Nitrofuracin Green Powder . Great stuff and works fairly fast.
If velvet or ich is present then it’s copper right away. Again. Please check out the disease forum and learn what to look for and how to treat. This is crucial!
Oh, and get the Hanna Copper test kit before you even begin to get fish. It’s just a great, great tool.
https://hannainst.com/hi702-copper-hr.html

And buy extra reagent while you are at it.

It still amazes me how many people go buy fish and just throw them in the display. It’s sad!
Learn to quarantine your fish please!!!
I spend a lot of time observing the fish every day. It’s the best way to both find problems and learn how your fish live in the tank. They seem to have some personality, not all but some seem to.
This helps get them used to people too. After a week or two they come right to the top to eat out of my fingers.

What once was.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
JMM744

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Well my new tank is in its final resting spot and is just waiting for the plumbing, electrical and water. I must say, Custom Aquariums built one sturdy tank for me. Chris from Twisted Tail Fins Aquatics out of Columbia City, Indiana drove over and provided a great deal of help getting the tank unloaded and set in place. His hydrolic carts sure made light work of a heavy job. I think my Butterflies are going to be lost in this thing seeing as they will actually have room to swim around in 6 feet of saltwater now. They are gonna be movin on up!!

I hope I don’t come across as a know it all in my ramblings. I am really Just a rookie with butterflies and constantly learning. It is my hope that others who raise them and have had experience with these beautiful fish will share thier views and lessons learned.

My wish list, well that’s a long one but mostly unattainable. While there are many desirable Butterfly fish some just don’t seem to be worth the effort. My goal is to enjoy this hobby and buying fish that are listed as “difficult” just seems to go against the grain. Finding easier specimens are still, in my opinion, hard enough to keep and get eating. Why make it harder? As I have learned more I have been able to limit myself to more limited selections such as fish that stay a bit smaller, are listed by the venders as “easy” and from others experiences seem to be somewhat less stressful to keep. The latter is probably a pipe dream but maybe not....I can hope. My current residents have had velvet twice and the Racoon has been treated for infection twice now so I can be just a bit paranoid about what I might find every day. It’s always a relief to find everyone still swimming and eating and disease free. Part of my mistake was to buy fish too soon and not think through how my qt setup would be done. Due to lack of space at the time my qt tank sits in the same room as my water station and my spare 55 gallon catch all tank which includes mostly live rock, some unwanted invasive corals and a few corals that just didn’t do well when introduced to my mixed reef. Throwing them in this mostly neglected tank seems to save them somehow.
It is my belief that I spread velvet to my 70 mixed reef via my water system which sits too close to the qt tank and reintroduced it to the butterflies the same way.
Take a clue from me, plan your qt system as to avoid reintroduction they distance and keeping your hands clean and dry between tanks.
So what can’t I live without? A lot in the end. What I really want now is a couple pyramid butterflies, maybe a burgess and a Copperband. That ought to set off a few alarms right there! Why would I go against everything I just noted and take on the challenge of a copperband? I simple don’t have a good answer. Having said that here is my intent which may be enough of a requirement to really keep me from ever actually buying one. I must provide it with a nice quiet tank of at least 55 but preferably 90-125 gallons of heavily infested-pod filled , aptasia ridden live rock. This tank must not have any other even slightly aggressive fish in it ever. I must be able to provide the fish with a steady diet of live food such as black worms or white worms which I am having a hard time keeping for some reason. Lastly, the fish must be very healthy and eating more then just mysis or brine shrimp. A prequarantined fish would be a big plus too. If ever I can meet these demands I might just pull the trigger on one.

Others that may someday find thier way into my possession are, Tahitian, sunset also called dash dot, Atlantic longnose and maybe the latticed and pearlscale again. I really liked my pearlscale. It was a great eater and active easy going tank mate. Time will tell.

Well I think I will close here. I hope some of you add to this discussion at your convenience. Thanks for following along.

Jim

Last edited:
OP
OP
JMM744

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16B40C49-5E7E-491D-A666-247C1C6226A6.jpeg
Little update.. had to euthanize my raccoon Sunday. Poor little guy went blind. It always was fighting infection and had finished 10 days in NGP two weeks back. It always ate well and had taken to flakes of late but last week I noticed it swimming and almost running into tank mates and it didn’t eat. I wasn’t positive, mostly was but in denial, that it was blind but Sat. Evening I did a water change and cleaned the tank some. I caught the fish bare handed and it swam into my open hand a couple times. It spent most of its time running laps in the tank. Once I knew it was blind I had no other choice but to put it down. I had tried to feed it out of hand but it just swam past the food. Now I am left with a teardrop, saddleback and the Klein’s. I have to admit it’s become a bit discouraging to loose so many of the butterflies, especially the ones who had done so well over time.

OP
OP
JMM744

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2019-4-26_0-27-12.jpeg

Decided maybe I would update this a little. The 3 butterflies are doing quite well. Eating and growing and constantly moving. I have found they love nori a lot. They destroy it really. The teardrop will pick at algae on the floor of the tank too. As I have landscaped the tank I have added some rocks that had corals attached. My surprise is that they leave them alone for the most part. Added were a large colony of blueridge, a colony of chalice, a nice red bubbletip, some large palys and a couple sps corals that I hade removed from the rock but had encrusted so some remained . The sps is actually spreading. I do see the teardrop go at the montipora on one rock at times. I also found that they leave snails alone. I added a large group of various sizes and they just ignore them.
I have a few more butterflies on order from Humblefish Aquatics and really look forward to adding them to the display in the future . I hope to add some schooling fish as well but they will be the last additions I think. Probably avoid tangs all together. A Firefish and a few other little guys who hang out in the rocks might add some interest too. Overall though it’s the butterflies I love to watch. My only regret so far is that my tank isn’t longer. If I had it to do over I would have gone 8-10 ft.
Thanks and have a great weekend.
Jim

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back