Marginalis butterfly is in!

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally found a good sized Marginalis butterfly and went with it from divers den this week. I've loved copperbands since we started this hobby, but they always die the second they're bothered.

Finally found these and hear they're quite a bit harder, so I pulled the trigger. Absolutely perfect and gorgeous fish. Lights are still coming on in the picture. hopefully it starts eating soon! Not able to qt this one right now so it had to go straight to the tank.

20240314_111549.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally found a good sized Marginalis butterfly and went with it from divers den this week. I've loved copperbands since we started this hobby, but they always die the second they're bothered.

Finally found these and hear they're quite a bit harder, so I pulled the trigger. Absolutely perfect and gorgeous fish. Lights are still coming on in the picture. hopefully it starts eating soon! Not able to qt this one right now so it had to go straight to the tank.

20240314_111549.jpg
I’ve had a few of these and they always did well, much better than regular CBB. Australian CBB also do ok, but getting a legit one can be difficult due to “renaming” by the importer/wholesalers like they do with harlequin tuskfish.

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And today I find it swimming erratically and jerking, hitting rocks, and hiding now.

What in the world. It was doing perfect all day today, and now this. This is exactly what all my CBB did before dying. Really upset if this one is going too

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a few of these and they always did well, much better than regular CBB. Australian CBB also do ok, but getting a legit one can be difficult due to “renaming” by the importer/wholesalers like they do with harlequin tuskfish.
Do they have a higher risk of eating coral? Would love one of these but I'm afraid on how it would do in my LPS dominant system

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is acting weird today. Just looking at food, even it's favorite, clams. I've only seen it pick at a piece of food once today.

Hopefully it's still kinda settling in, but it's been a week now. I'm just cautious and nervous with this fish after 3 failed copperband attempts.

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2 of it suddenly ignoring food. It is looking through the rocks like normal and acts like it's about to go in to grab something, then swims off. It was going after clams, pe mysis, and masstick every time I fed it. Now, nothing on any of those.

Completely ignoring food now. Awfully similar to what my copperbands did :/

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More strange behavior, or is this how these fish react when spooked?

It picked out a piece of food from the feeding pouch, then went to pick a piece from behind it. It touched the pouch, wrapped it's body almost around it, and floated to the top upside down and just breathing, then it snapped back to and went to swimming backwards for a second.

Now it's swimming normally again, but acting skiddish. I thought have a marginalis would make me more at ease, but I'm almost more frustrated with this fish than the CBBs. I knew they had a poor rate kd survival in aquariums, but thought these would be a little easier.

Seeks like it's gonna kill over any minute the way it's acting. My yellow long nose keeps looking at it like what is wrong with you bro? Lol

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More strange behavior, or is this how these fish react when spooked?

It picked out a piece of food from the feeding pouch, then went to pick a piece from behind it. It touched the pouch, wrapped it's body almost around it, and floated to the top upside down and just breathing, then it snapped back to and went to swimming backwards for a second.

Now it's swimming normally again, but acting skiddish. I thought have a marginalis would make me more at ease, but I'm almost more frustrated with this fish than the CBBs. I knew they had a poor rate kd survival in aquariums, but thought these would be a little easier.

Seeks like it's gonna kill over any minute the way it's acting. My yellow long nose keeps looking at it like what is wrong with you bro? Lol
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 @i cant think @Slocke isn't this a sign of cyanide poisoning?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh I hoped not. I thought Australians weren't caught that way, but who knows
Just the symptoms sound like some sort of poison/neurological issue, being an aussie fish that does make it slightly less likely. it also almost sounds like the disease that fairy wrasses will get.... but that's just for wrasses. Might want to get the opinions of the #fishmedic Group though

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back