Marginalis butterfly is in!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Also it is from liveaquaria and well, they've really been going downhill these last few years
Has anything changed such as salt, water flow, salinity and Ph?
Any physical scrapes r dame you can see?
The erratic behavior, loss of appetite points to flukes. If so, other signs you would see are increased breathing rate, swollen or red gills, hiding and herking motion

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anything changed such as salt, water flow, salinity and Ph?
Any physical scrapes r dame you can see?
The erratic behavior, loss of appetite points to flukes. If so, other signs you would see are increased breathing rate, swollen or red gills, hiding and herking motion
None of that has changed..... No scrapes or redness anywhere. I wonder if a freshwater dip would stress it out even more?

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now it seems back to normal, but just kinda hanging out. Not looking through rocks or attempting to eat anything.

Before the freakout, I did see it snag a piece of masstick and clam, and it also picked out a piece of frozen. There's still hope, just frustrated

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWD only treat superficial parasitic infections or gill infection with parasites. You fish seem to suffer from neurological or central nervous system injury/stoke. FWD will not help in this case.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWD only treat superficial parasitic infections or fill infection with parasites. You fish seem to suffer from neurological or central nervous system injury/stoke. FWD will not help in this case.
Unfortunately, it seems this is how 3 of the 4 CBB I had died. The first one just died completely randomly. That's why I'm so stressed out about this one now. I knew it was a gamble but it did so well the first few days

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
None of that has changed..... No scrapes or redness anywhere. I wonder if a freshwater dip would stress it out even more?
Likely will and offers temporary relief of flukes and other worms and highly Not recommended if breathing rate is elevated

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, it seems this is how 3 of the 4 CBB I had died. The first one just died completely randomly. That's why I'm so stressed out about this one now. I knew it was a gamble but it did so well the first few days
Sorry, doesn't sound good.. 4 dead would be a good time to consider something different...

Muppy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth I purchased one of these last week and lost it within 3 days. All other fish in the tank are healthy, the marginalis looked to be in excellent condition. Drip acclimated and it immediately started picking at the rocks, next morning it was hiding behind the return nozzle, and next day it was dead

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh I hoped not. I thought Australians weren't caught that way, but who knows
I’ve never heard of Australian fish being collected with any drugs - there are two main suppliers and they are both really good at handling fish.
I can’t recall - are marginals found anywhere but Australia? There have been issues with fish like harlequin tuskfish being sold as Australian, but which were actually caught with cyanide in Indonesia.

The issue sure does sound neurological though. How is it this morning?

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard of Australian fish being collected with any drugs - there are two main suppliers and they are both really good at handling fish.
I can’t recall - are marginals found anywhere but Australia? There have been issues with fish like harlequin tuskfish being sold as Australian, but which were actually caught with cyanide in Indonesia.

The issue sure does sound neurological though. How is it this morning?

Lights are off currently, but it's looking around very panicked and not like when I first got it at all. Not expecting it to be around much longer

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to say it but I had a Marginalis that showed the exact same behavior, swimming in place. After five days, it passed.
Yeah once a fish starts acting like this, I always consider them a goner already. Frustrating.

My wife was excited, but she's back to thinking this hobby is just a money pit that has not much gain anymore. I get to thinking that same way sometimes with how expensive this hobby is, but I can't stop it lol

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copperbands are an addicting fish. I cannot tell you how many that I purchased over the years until I have my current one. He just had his fifth birthday. Here are some things to look for in your search for a good one. It must be eating in the store. It must be active, showing a hunting action. It must have a full forehead. This is a sign that it is eating AND digesting. If it eats and looks thin, then pass. I have found that they love live worms, especially blackworms. Good luck in your hunt.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah once a fish starts acting like this, I always consider them a goner already. Frustrating.

My wife was excited, but she's back to thinking this hobby is just a money pit that has not much gain anymore. I get to thinking that same way sometimes with how expensive this hobby is, but I can't stop it lol
It seems that the wives have a similar thought, haha. Either way I hope your marginalis returns to normal soon, its cost is prohibitive for many aquarists, so enjoy it as much as you can.

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a photo this morning. It's mouth at the edge looks a little puffy

20240324_121738.jpg
20240324_121736.jpg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry this one isn't doing well. I'm no help but I wonder if a fish like this would be better isolated alone for a while for observation. I'm talking about something like the stock tank below with old live rock not a sterile PVC decorated tank. I suppose if it's neurological issue it wouldn't matter. I kept my CBB in a similar setup when I got it 2 years ago. I have a powder brown in now that is eating out of my hand after only two weeks. I think it makes a good place for a fish to adjust and fatten up before moving to the DT.
PXL_20240317_151203114~2.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry this one isn't doing well. I'm no help but I wonder if a fish like this would be better isolated alone for a while for observation. I'm talking about something like the stock tank below with old live rock not a sterile PVC decorated tank. I suppose if it's neurological issue it wouldn't matter. I kept my CBB in a similar setup when I got it 2 years ago. I have a powder brown in now that is eating out of my hand after only two weeks. I think it makes a good place for a fish to adjust and fatten up before moving to the DT.
PXL_20240317_151203114~2.jpg
totally agree. For sensitive fish like CBB, Regal angel, and some of the wrasses, this is the best way to acclimated them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back