My Local Debate, Heater, and temp probe location.

  • Thread starter Thread starter LohTeK
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

LohTeK

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 30, 2024
Messages
18
Reaction score
13
Location
USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, Just recently joined R2R.

Super excited to continue learning more, I have thought about this question a lot as I have had multiple large to small systems and I personally know what works best for me but I am curious to hear everyone's opinions are compared to my local friends / Hobbyist

Where do you put your heaters, and why?
Where do you put your temp probes in relation to the heaters?
Do you test display and sump and compare both to make a logical decision to heat what ever location your heaters are in to a temp higher than needed to reach that combined number?

In my opinion on a larger non chilled system this is a CRUCIAL element that a lot reefers over look. There can massive cold spots and hot spots in tanks with poor water flow and heating.

I don't think this would constitute the death of a tank but I think with everything advancing in this hobby, LEDs, Filtration, heating seems to be the one thing that isn't going anywhere.

I think if a company were to design some sort of rock work with built in heating elements or a heater in general that would allow us to including a heater in the display as well as the sump and it not be a complete eye sore I think water temperature stability would be a thing of the past on the heating side.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new