OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finish treatment of my Magnifica and just put him into my DT tonight. Still partially bleached, but I expect him to recover shortly, with feeding.
Here he is next to my Purple Magnifica
magnifica2020120901redbaseandpurple-jpg.1921466
Very nice as always... How large is your purple mag? Also do you have any concerns of two different mags so close to each other? Lastly are there different variants to purple mags?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones that we know as Magnifica is likely consist of several species. They may be reclassify in the future. This one I have is purple through out. Darker tips and column is purple under white light. He is about 10 inches in diameter.
I have no problem with anemones stay close to each other, even if they are not the same species, mostly.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones that we know as Magnifica is likely consist of several species. They may be reclassify in the future. This one I have is purple through out. Darker tips and column is purple under white light. He is about 10 inches in diameter.
I have no problem with anemones stay close to each other, even if they are not the same species, mostly.
Oh very nice... is that across the board or just in your experience? I was wondering about your purple, since mine look slightly different than yours.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnifica from Africa is different from other area in the Pacific. The Red base above is likely from Africa. Typically shorter tentacles with bubble tip, (but not like BTA). Many have red or wine color base. Other area seem to have more tapper tentacles and more purple base like the other anemone above.
from keeping them I notice at least these two distinct populations.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe mine is Australian. This variety seems to be shorter tentacles than others. I really want a purple and also a purple with green tips. The one I have seems to be a little more hard to find though. My lfs ordered it for me and had several in a few days but all the same. Issues is they can order mags but not certain what colors they will actually get in.

He went directly in the tank when I got him because he looked so good. 1st pic is several hrs after putting him in the tank.

Well a couple days later he was starting to deflate but not much I could do. Eventually he dethatched and he was rolling around the bottom so I got him out and put him in treatment. Took a week and he now seems better, see second picture. Finally not deflating every day. Very sensitive to light right now and when I turn it up he will shrink up some. I been slowly raising it every few days. He is pretty dark in color.

I knew I should have quarantined him right away. Every Magnifica that comes in here lately starts to deflate and look bad no matter how good they look. Anemones do not come in much anymore around here other than BTA's and the occasional Haddoni.

1607631425921.png

1607631575545.png

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe mine is Australian. This variety seems to be shorter tentacles than others. I really want a purple and also a purple with green tips. The one I have seems to be a little more hard to find though. My lfs ordered it for me and had several in a few days but all the same. Issues is they can order mags but not certain what colors they will actually get in.

He went directly in the tank when I got him because he looked so good. 1st pic is several hrs after putting him in the tank.

Well a couple days later he was starting to deflate but not much I could do. Eventually he dethatched and he was rolling around the bottom so I got him out and put him in treatment. Took a week and he now seems better, see second picture. Finally not deflating every day. Very sensitive to light right now and when I turn it up he will shrink up some. I been slowly raising it every few days. He is pretty dark in color.

I knew I should have quarantined him right away. Every Magnifica that comes in here lately starts to deflate and look bad no matter how good they look. Anemones do not come in much anymore around here other than BTA's and the occasional Haddoni.

1607631425921.png

1607631575545.png
Hopefully your road back isnt as long as mine.

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a beautiful purple Mag Saturday morning on 03/07, i was really excited to have the king of sea anemones in my aquarium. Prior to ordering the anemone i researched their requirements, care and signs to look for to get ahead of any potential problems. I have had my Colorado Sunburst bubble tipped anemone for over 3 years and it has split more than a handful of times. I also have kept SPS corals with success for years as well. I believe all the years of reef keeping and experience would give me the best chance of success at keeping the infamous Magnificent Sea Anemone. I have documented my journey on the below timeline. I hope this will help anyone who is thinking about keeping or has recently acquired one of these beautiful creatures.

Here is my story:

I ordered my sea anemone 03/04 and it shipped the day of 03/06. I chose the online retailer due to the length of time they stated they keep their mags before they sell them to the public. In my case my anemone, according to them has been in their system since 10/2019. This was important as it should result is a very easy transition from their system to mine or so i thought.

After removing the nem from the shipping package, i noticed it was packaged really well! I begin to temp acclimate and later drip acclimate the nem to its new home.

1584330305387.png

This pic is the 1st few hours after the nem was introduced into the aquarium on 03/07 after acclimation. It quickly latched on the rock work, although not completely.
1583945940307.png

Early observation: After it completely latched to the rock work... a few hours later, slightly gaping mouth... not overly concerned at this point, but noted. My thoughts...its adjusting to the water conditions, lighting, current....etc.

1584328752944.png

It was recommended that i add small clown fish to further help it acclimate. So a few hours later, two small Occellaris Clownfish were added, at this point all appeared well.... Success!! Or so i thought.

1583945986408.png

1583946010829.png

03/08: The following morning, the nem had a tight mouth but something looked off.... didn't look full and more tentacles where deflated. At this point im getting concerned.

1584329180377.png

A couple of hours later:

1584331141210.png

4 hours later: The nem appeared to deflate. Based on prior research, in Mag anemones especially...this is a red flag. Im concerned my nem is not healthy. I also read sometimes, they will deflate a time or two as an adjustment in a new system. My thought...I will give it the benefit of doubt.

1583946164898.png

03/09: I didnt take any pictures, however observed the nem repeating the above cycle 2 additional times in one day. My biggest fear became a reality. I knew according to my research, if i didn't act now the animal would surely die in my system. I placed an overnight order of Fish Flox (30 pills 500MG each pill), in the meantime i would continue to observe and look for more negative signs.

03/10: I came home from work and at my door was my cipro order, when i looked at the nem that evening.....it didnt look well.

1584331674749.png

At that moment I decided to take it out and treat it. Was it the right decision? Was i overreacting?

03/10: The anemone looked worse after i placed it in the treated hospital tank. Its mouth was gaped open pretty bad and all sorts of gelatin type substances coming from it. Its body was not flat, but smaller and tentacles deflated...big time.

My treatment regiment consisted of breaking one of the 500MG pills in half and mixing it with a small cup of water from the DT to dissolve it. I filled a 10 gallon aquarium with water from the DT and placed the anemone in the hospital tank (10 gallon aquarium) and mixed the dissolved cipro in the hospital tank.

1583946234196.png

03/11: I continued the treatment by removing each day, 50 -60% of the water from the hospital tank and replacing it with water from the DT. Once the lights were off, i would dose 250MG of cipro. The goal was to repeat this process until 7 days passed. The nem appeared to get progressively worst. At this point it never looked better than the above image.

03/12 : I almost gave up... I figured the anemone was dead. It was unresponsive and not sticking to anything including the glass. I reached out to some folks here and the advice i was given was the following: Until the anemone breaks apart or turns into mush..there is still a chance....

1584327543339.png

03/12: I continued the regiment, although in my mind I was preparing myself for the loss. That evening upon returning home from work, i walked in to find the following surprise:

1584328081883.png

1584333154742.png

OMG!!! Did it work? Is my nem good? Will it make it? I could not contain myself.... this is the best the nem looked since the 1st day i placed it in the display. I remember the advice i received from @ca1ore "It will likely go through cycles of looking good then looking bad. Don’t get too encouraged by the former or discouraged by the latter. Do the full 7 days regardless." Great advice!

So the Journey continues....

03/15: The nem continues to maintain and i have not observed it deflating since the day i thought it was dead. This was a few hours ago:

1584333316564.png

If it all goes well, in a couple of days it will be reunited with the clownfish that sorely misses it!

A special thanks to @ca1ore for the great advice! I will continue to document my nems journey. Thanks for being apart of this story, hopefully it will be an success!
My nem looks worse then this I am so worried about it :( so you used a total of 500mg of cipro a day

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! Im so sorry...what type of sea anemone? I used 250mg per day so half.
I have the same one as you and it looks terrible I have been using cipro but the 250mg it looked terrible so I uped the dose I just don’t know what to do with it because it looked so good the night before using cipro and it’s just been getting worse everyday the filaments are coming from everywhere :(

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use 250 mg per 10 gal of water. Make sure it have some light as some water movement. Most importantly are the keep condition stable temp and salinity wise and change 100% of the water daily.
good luck

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree stick with the dosage it does seem to stress out the anemone some even at the recommended dosage.
Mine produces allot of slime when I add the Cipro which means it is most likely being irritated by it some plus it takes energy to produce that slime.

I believe it did save my current anemone but I am out of the woods yet. I had to quarantine mine for two weeks and just added him finally back to the tank. Sad part is I went out of town and hope he stays put. I believe my cipro was getting old and may have lost some potency. I wish I would have treated him right off the bat and things would have not been so bad. Once he was in my reef there was no way to get him out. I should have known better with magnifica and should have treated him. Even though mine look fantastic I have not seen any mags come in that did not need treatment.
My issue is mine would not attach for a long time in quarantine and had got weak. When I got him he still was sticky too so he was stronger. Persistence got me through.

I also can not stress how important it is to change the water.

Cipro has helped me with several anemones. From now one anything that is not a bta will go into quarantine right off the bat and at least observed for a while. Shows any sign of infection it will be treated.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same one as you and it looks terrible I have been using cipro but the 250mg it looked terrible so I uped the dose I just don’t know what to do with it because it looked so good the night before using cipro and it’s just been getting worse everyday the filaments are coming from everywhere :(
i would stick to the 250mg over the course of 10 days, changing the water out each day. Thats what i did...good luck it can be a long road back.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I agree I think mags may even get their own species with sub species.
Mine I have now is completely different from most I have seen. I have not seen this type get large like other mags, tentacles are shorter, I have not seen it ball like some of the others. It also does not not seem to split as readily as others, I have never heard of it splitting in a home reef. It may have but I have never heard of it. It looks like a mag with shape of tentacles.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two mag today. They are very different from each other, other than the fact that one is still very light in coloration and color differences. Just the shape and lenght of the tentacles, I can clearly see that they are not the same.
Magnifica2020122301RedBaseYellowTip.jpg

Magnifica2020122302RedBaseYellowTip.jpg

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My two mag today. They are very different from each other, other than the fact that one is still very light in coloration and color differences. Just the shape and lenght of the tentacles, I can clearly see that they are not the same.
Magnifica2020122301RedBaseYellowTip.jpg

Magnifica2020122302RedBaseYellowTip.jpg

Yea the one on the left is very similar to mine in shape and length of tentacles but not coloration. The right is completely different almost more similar to a crispa tentacle.

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
By the way here it is back in the tank. It is not light in color at all and it is very dark. What is funny is my phone it shows up close to what it should. Every time I take a picture from this tank it looks washed out and over bright. Filters do not seem to help. If you look in the picture in my other post you can see the first pic in my 120 Gallon it was light and in the picture in quarantine it is very dark.

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update? How is yours doing?

I am going to say mine is officially out of the woods and doing really well.. No doubt cipro saved this one.
I highly suggest everyone quarantine magnificas even if you do not treat right away. Once in the reef they can be hard to get out. Most seem to have a infection.

Now the search is on for another different color.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update? How is yours doing?

I am going to say mine is officially out of the woods and doing really well.. No doubt cipro saved this one.
I highly suggest everyone quarantine magnificas even if you do not treat right away. Once in the reef they can be hard to get out. Most seem to have a infection.

Now the search is on for another different color.
Nice! I'm not sure if this message was for me, but ill respond :cool:.I'm glad to hear your is doing well, any bleaching after? Mine is doing great...getting big but much of the same. For me it was a long hard road back.

1609338579742.png

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back