My Male Ocellaris Clownfish is Under the Weather :(

Ganny’s Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

Thanks for the feedback on the original post involving my plumbing on my newly set up 75 Gallon Tank with two Clownfish.

I've got everything running smoothly in my setup, except for my male Ocellaris Clownfish... :(

For some backstory, prior to setting up my 75 Gallon, I had a 20 Gallon tank for my pair. Both had a great 9 months in that tank when I started to notice my female clownfish starting to bully my male. I noticed some nips out of the tail of my male, so I was looking forward to giving them both more space in my 75 Gallon setup. I assumed my male was stressed (obviously) when being bullied like that. He hasn't been eating much of anything during feeding times. Doesn't even turn an eye to the frozen Reef Frenzy Nano from my local pet store. He also has a white stringy fecal matter; I'd assume that could be from Mysis shrimp that are fed in this mixture. He nibbled on some of the food with a pair of tongs a day or two ago but aside from that, I don't know what to look for. Here's a photo for reference. He sits in this spot in the photo most of the time.

Thanks for the help and thanks for looking!

Clownfish ILL Male Photo.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello All,

Thanks for the feedback on the original post involving my plumbing on my newly set up 75 Gallon Tank with two Clownfish.

I've got everything running smoothly in my setup, except for my male Ocellaris Clownfish... :(

For some backstory, prior to setting up my 75 Gallon, I had a 20 Gallon tank for my pair. Both had a great 9 months in that tank when I started to notice my female clownfish starting to bully my male. I noticed some nips out of the tail of my male, so I was looking forward to giving them both more space in my 75 Gallon setup. I assumed my male was stressed (obviously) when being bullied like that. He hasn't been eating much of anything during feeding times. Doesn't even turn an eye to the frozen Reef Frenzy Nano from my local pet store. He also has a white stringy fecal matter; I'd assume that could be from Mysis shrimp that are fed in this mixture. He nibbled on some of the food with a pair of tongs a day or two ago but aside from that, I don't know what to look for. Here's a photo for reference. He sits in this spot in the photo most of the time.

Thanks for the help and thanks for looking!

Clownfish ILL Male Photo.jpg
Notable- fish is a little thin. How is its' breathing rate and is it eating?
Is the color faded by chance?
Pic is under good lighting and a little distant. Can you take closer pics? I suspect Brooklynella but want to confirm with closer pics

OP
OP
Ganny’s Aquarium

Ganny’s Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Notable- fish is a little thin. How is its' breathing rate and is it eating?
Is the color faded by chance?
Pic is under good lighting and a little distant. Can you take closer pics? I suspect Brooklynella but want to confirm with closer pics
I can take a closer picture tonight when able. His colors have faded and he is breathing differently than my female, who seems to be perfectly healthy.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I can take a closer picture tonight when able. His colors have faded and he is breathing differently than my female, who seems to be perfectly healthy.
May be an aggression issue, but pics will confirm any occurences

OP
OP
Ganny’s Aquarium

Ganny’s Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured if the male has more space to move freely, he’d recover from the female’s aggression. The male doesn’t have any film over his gills/gill flaps or on his body. I’ll try and coax him out of the spot in the photo and send a more clear photo.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 57 29.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back