My Mixed Reef/Acan Tank

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all....I just wanted to start a log thread on my zoa tank. It's been running for a few months now...problem was, I installed new floors last summer and had to break it completely down...only now have I begun to slowly move my corals back in from the frag tank, which, coincidentally, also had to be built (from scratch) to hold the corals from the tank....dang, that was a sad day.

but things are looking up!....snagged my most wanted fish, the stupendous fu-manchu lionfish......been wanting this bad boy for about 2 years...haha funny thing, when I came across him it was in one of the smaller, more mall-related pet shops...totally by chance...I was just browsing on my lunch hour!

sooo......i'll be doing lots of changes, so I just wanted to keep y'all appraised..:D

IMG_3775.jpg

IMG_3760.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Patwa

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3758.jpg

IMG_3753.jpg

oh yah..those frags I got are doing great...slowly moving them over from the frag tank....but i want to take it slow....pics to come.

tx.

Zach

OP
OP
Patwa

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any FTS?
and how big is this beauty?

thanks mate....yep FTS coming soon..gonna snap some this evening and see if any look nice enough to post ;)

That fish rocks! He wont mess with the clowns?

..the clowns are quite big....and he's only a juvy...and he's sort of a peaceful species generally.....the clowns stay up near the red froggie...the Fu is always on the bottom or upside down underneath one of my overhangs..

I've been considering a FuManchuu but I'm afraid it'll sting my frogfish.

they'll never take the offensive...they use the stingers for defense.....hahah..man, you should see me trying to work on my tank..he's a clever one...always swimming close to me...i think he likes to check out what i'm doing......

Zach.

zoa2

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, but what type of cool monster is that? :D

OP
OP
Patwa

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey...here's a quick update...i've done a bit more moving around of the corals, but there's still a lot more to do before I can say i'm happy :)

....still no skimmer on the system as yet...might have some time after my trip (I have a dual airstone skimmer waiting in the wings). I also changed the MH lights to 10,000K, with flourescent supplementation (two 20,000K lights and one 03 actinic).

anyways, here are the pics!

FTS as of last night
IMG_3868.jpg

my blue scolymia vitiensis (night shot)
IMG_4036.jpg

a random neon green shroom (night shot)
IMG_4031.jpg

OP
OP
Patwa

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a neat variant of the famous Blue Cespitularia...it's not the regular blue cespitular/blue xenia that has been sold on RC and Atlantis Aquarium, from what i can see......mine has an iridescent baby blue base, purple stalks and beige/tan polyps (my pics don't do it justice, trust me!)....

I can't even find a blue cespitularia on the web that comes close...check out the regular pulsing xenia in the background for a colour/appearance comparison.
IMG_3977.jpg

IMG_3975.jpg

that's it for now
smile.gif

Zach

OP
OP
Patwa

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, very wild! The tank looks great Zach.

Whats the Bright red coral bottom left in the main tank?

thanks Bob!

that bright red thing is my goniopora.....got it about 6 months ago...it's doing very well...i feed it about once a week (I switch between cyclopeeze and reef-roids)

IMG_4056.jpg

Zach.

OP
OP
Patwa

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys :)

the blue xenia is doing really well...i've only had it for about 1 month, but it has nearly doubled in size already....will keep my eye on it to see how the actual colour pans out - but I do like what i'm seeing right now :)

nice tank!

i love the blue xenia! how well does it grow for you?

rocko918

I wanna be a rock star
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow i have never see a goniopora look that good. keep feeding it! My last about 2 months and died off.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back