My new 17 gallon tank

vayne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I am new to this marvellous world of saltwater tanks. I acquired 2 months ago a nano tank, around 17 gallons. Got my tools ready, bout the sand, Caribbean life rock, filter, skimmer and a wave maker as well.

This is the tank currently. I have been running it for around 3 weeks, give or take few days.

Equipment

Lightning: Prime 16HD
Filter: Comline 3162 - Tunze
Skimmer: Comline DOC Skimmer 9001
Wavemaker: Jebao slw 10

I have tested it for NO2, pH, NO3, NH4 so far.

pH: 8,0
NO2: <0,01
NO3: 1
NO4: <0,05
Temp: 80.6 °F
Salinity: 1.026

Is this enough, or I should run any other testes, make perhaps some changes to these values?

For livestock, I plan on getting two clowns, a cleaning crew, and a shrimp so far. I am rather scared of adding corals thus far, since I have zero experience.

20220215_180845.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can skip No2 and No4. I'd probably invest in one of those Seachem Ammonia Alert badges (they just stick on the inside of the tank). Po4 phosphates is really the only other test you need. If you stay on top of water changes (10% every 2 weeks) you'll typically replenish your alkalinity, calcium and magnesium (which are really only important for corals).

Corals really aren't as insidious to maintain as the impression can sometimes be. If you stay on top of water changes, routine testing is really the only thing you need to do (Ca, Mg and Kh tests are needed if you get into corals). You've pretty much got everything you need.

Just remember the most important rule for corals: Buy what you can afford to replace. ;)

Reeferjunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r and looks like You have a great start and found the best place to be.

OP
OP
vayne

vayne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can skip No2 and No4. I'd probably invest in one of those Seachem Ammonia Alert badges (they just stick on the inside of the tank). Po4 phosphates is really the only other test you need. If you stay on top of water changes (10% every 2 weeks) you'll typically replenish your alkalinity, calcium and magnesium (which are really only important for corals).

Corals really aren't as insidious to maintain as the impression can sometimes be. If you stay on top of water changes, routine testing is really the only thing you need to do (Ca, Mg and Kh tests are needed if you get into corals). You've pretty much got everything you need.

Just remember the most important rule for corals: Buy what you can afford to replace. ;)
Wow, that is great. I'll make sure to pick the Seachem Ammonia Alert badge up today. It's crazy the amount of neat tools available. I'll post my Po4 as well, sure.

Thank you for the tips!

Welcome to r2r and looks like You have a great start and found the best place to be.
Thank you!
Do you think I could start slowly introducing some livestock like fish as of now?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I am new to this marvellous world of saltwater tanks. I acquired 2 months ago a nano tank, around 17 gallons. Got my tools ready, bout the sand, Caribbean life rock, filter, skimmer and a wave maker as well.

This is the tank currently. I have been running it for around 3 weeks, give or take few days.

Equipment

Lightning: Prime 16HD
Filter: Comline 3162 - Tunze
Skimmer: Comline DOC Skimmer 9001
Wavemaker: Jebao slw 10

I have tested it for NO2, pH, NO3, NH4 so far.

pH: 8,0
NO2: <0,01
NO3: 1
NO4: <0,05
Temp: 80.6 °F
Salinity: 1.026

Is this enough, or I should run any other testes, make perhaps some changes to these values?

For livestock, I plan on getting two clowns, a cleaning crew, and a shrimp so far. I am rather scared of adding corals thus far, since I have zero experience.

20220215_180845.jpg
ammonia (NH3) should be zero before starting, so make double sure its good. also maybe lower the temp 2 degrees, 80 is pretty warm, most keep their tanks around 78 F. NH4+ (ammonium) is fairly harmless

OP
OP
vayne

vayne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ammonia (NH3) should be zero before starting, so make double sure its good. also maybe lower the temp 2 degrees, 80 is pretty warm, most keep their tanks around 78 F. NH4+ (ammonium) is fairly harmless
On the JBL stuff I got I had NH4 only sadly.. thought that would be the test to do as it shows currently 0. Should I be getting the NH3 test too?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the JBL stuff I got I had NH4 only sadly.. thought that would be the test to do as it shows currently 0. Should I be getting the NH3 test too?
Yes! NH4+ is different than NH3 and is non(overslimpifled, this is a whole debate) toxic and does not directly indicate levels of NH3

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum and you have the right set up and are asking all the right questions.

As to coral additions, depending on the quality of the source - trusted friend, our Local vendor, a trumpet coral, paving, or Duncan can also add to the tanks biodiversity and improve the time to maturity.

And water changes can get you through a lot, especially in the early days

Reefbuilders videos speaks to this and can be helpful and encouraging. Agree with the above, however, do not add what you cannot afford to lose at this early stage

viel Glück !

100.gif

OP
OP
vayne

vayne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use the redsea or sailfurt ones too. Even... API if you really want to
Tested and right now shows around Nh3 0,25 mg/l.. its been showing that for around 3 days

I was wondering what could this be the brown spots appearing all over my rock and filter sand too

Attachments

• 20220221_200718.jpg
    20220221_200718.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220221_200658.jpg
    20220221_200658.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220221_200643.jpg
    20220221_200643.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
vayne

vayne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might have found out about what it is... those are likely diatoms right? It kinda turned brownish and populated the whole sand and rock too..

Is it beneficial, is it like a new symptoms for a new aquarium? Should I be worried?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 55 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back