my new baby... AKA The Café

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2 cents on FW dips. They don't cure Velvet but can provide much needed temporary relief. Make sure you aerate your water heavily for about 30 min before you put the fish in. No need to aerate during the dip since the fish is only it for 5 min or less. If you're worried about the PH put a little pipette of tank water into the dip to raise the PH shortly before you put the fish in. During the dip, watch the fish closely it should be upright and breathing HEAVILY at all times. If the fish acts lethargic try getting it to move around with your finger. If the fish's breathing slows at any point during the dip take the fish out. Only keep the fish in 5 min max. FW dips can be stressful the first few times you do it, but you've got this! Best of luck!
Hey salty did you ever see these side-by-side video of two powder brown tangs coming out of the same system, being freshwater dipped side by side?

I know it's pure anecdotal as they could have had massively different amounts of flukes on them, But homies started the video saying he believes they would get many more visible flukes from the water with a stone in it.

Boy was he right. The water without a stone you could definitely see fLuke's falling off but slowly. With the added bubbler, it was like a torrent.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey salty did you ever see these side-by-side video of two powder brown tangs coming out of the same system, being freshwater dipped side by side?

I know it's pure anecdotal as they could have had massively different amounts of flukes on them, But homies started the video saying he believes they would get many more visible flukes from the water with a stone in it.

Boy was he right. The water without a stone you could definitely see fLuke's falling off but slowly. With the added bubbler, it was like a torrent.
No, I haven't seen that it sounds interesting. I can't say that I've seen gill flukes in the bottom of a dip container only body flukes. Was it body flukes coming off of them?

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2 cents on FW dips. They don't cure Velvet but can provide much needed temporary relief. Make sure you aerate your water heavily for about 30 min before you put the fish in. No need to aerate during the dip since the fish is only it for 5 min or less. If you're worried about the PH put a little pipette of tank water into the dip to raise the PH shortly before you put the fish in. During the dip, watch the fish closely it should be upright and breathing HEAVILY at all times. If the fish acts lethargic try getting it to move around with your finger. If the fish's breathing slows at any point during the dip take the fish out. Only keep the fish in 5 min max. FW dips can be stressful the first few times you do it, but you've got this! Best of luck!
Thanks for advice, @SaltyT !
From my research, I understand that the freshwater bath is not to cure Velvet but to provide temporary relief. This may be very useful to me if it looks like my raccoon is having severe troubles breathing. So far, it does not seem like a major problem, and I am glad I am still questioning if I am over-reacting (which means the situation is not an emergency yet).
I plan to use baking soda to shift pH and have ordered soda ash for future pH-buffer needs.
Your advice will be quite useful when I attempt the FW bath tonight!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I haven't seen that it sounds interesting. I can't say that I've seen gill flukes in the bottom of a dip container only body flukes. Was it body flukes coming off of them?
I believe body flux are the only ones you can actually see with your naked eyes so I would have to assume so. It's straight up look like somebody poured a bunch of clear glitter into the water

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe body flux are the only ones you can actually see with your naked eyes so I would have to assume so. It's straight up look like somebody poured a bunch of clear glitter into the water
That's crazy! Did the fish bleed out? My worry with increasing the amount of flukes dislodging like that would cause it to bleed out :(

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's crazy! Did the fish bleed out? My worry with increasing the amount of flukes dislodging like that would cause it to bleed out :(
Nope. It seemed perfectly fine once it went back into saltwater.

I'm not positive but believe skill flukes are the ones most likely to cause bleeding when they dislodge in large numbers.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nope. It seemed perfectly fine once it went back into saltwater.

I'm not positive but believe skill flukes are the ones most likely to cause bleeding when they dislodge in large numbers.
Gill flukes do cause mass bleeding. it's a nightmare to see.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i quit ,quiting smoking 11;32 am...:oops:;Facepalm:)
see now, that translates out in mike speak as you quit smoking and then you quit quitting smoking so there fore you are in fact still smoking.
which is just sad if that's the case. :cool:

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's a nice pink margin at a good price. Maybe QT'd too? A buddy of mine has ordered from them and said they're a great vendor.
I was thinking about it.

But.... I'm still traumatized. I deleted all his pictures. That one lived because I posed it on a different sight. maybe somewhere, they are hidden.
tanks.jpeg

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about it.

But.... I'm still traumatized. I deleted all his pictures. That one lived because I posed it on a different sight. maybe somewhere, they are hidden.
tanks.jpeg
Wow, he was really nice! I know how you feel, it really sucks when you loose one of your favorites.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo @SaltyT

Got any idea for me for another wrassehole that would fit in well in the reefer?

54g display, red fin in there now. Will have lots of nems, a couple more clowns+orchid dback and my lone surviving female Bangaii.
I know some wrasseholes ;) Do you want just fairy wrasse suggestions or are you open to other genera? Do you have sand?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 5.3%
Back