my new baby... AKA The Café

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Fritz is unopened and available to help get the bio filtration going. I do not have a HOB filter on the QT, just a sponge filter along with ceramic media, a small live rock from my FOWLR, and my experimental 3D-printed porous plates. Thanks for advice not to use carbon (I assume it would hinder the bacteria activity for the biofilter?).

The circulation pump is aimed toward the tip to increase surface agitation in an effort to increase O2 concentration, but I still doubt this is the ultimate issue, since I already have bubbles from the sponge filter and a small water pump at the surface for surface agitation/oxygenation as well as a relatively low bioload for a 40-gallon tank. I think the issue is lack of oxygen for the raccoon only but not for the other fish, but it seems more likely it may be due to ammonia burning of the gills. Maybe the raccoon is more susceptible (as a species or individual stress/health level or age/size?).

I am not planning to use the skimmer yet to prevent removing any bacteria from the water while the biofilter gets established, but the increased oxygenation is one of my primary reasons I want to use it later. Right now, when I turn it on, it bubbles like crazy and fills the collection cup very quickly while also leaking small bubbles out the sides of the skimmer body and into the tank water (which might become a problem with too many small bubbles?).

What about before opening? This was a new bottle that was excess when starting my rock cycling in a Brute can for my 90-gallon build. This also means I have had it sitting around for 9 months in the basement since I posted pictures of my cycling rock back in late January this year...
I would read the label. I can't tell you Off the top of my head and don't have any on hand.

I know I did throw a bottle of some bacteria away because I didn't refrigerate it and it had been sitting in my hot garage for a few weeks.

OP
OP
fishguy242

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi all... :) no idea on fritz,James ,see alot of probs in the shop coral pics,flatties.algae on plugs,half dead pcs...;)

OP
OP
fishguy242

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
have a great night all... :)
off to light the fire,run the juice out of the pups...maybe i can get something done when they fall...;);Happy
ps: eyes to the sky,meteor shower...:cool:

Poppin...:)

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all... :) no idea on fritz,James ,see alot of probs in the shop coral pics,flatties.algae on plugs,half dead pcs...;)
It’s not my favorite shop to say the least, but they occasionally have some good livestock.

Goodnight everyone! Sleep well. :)

OP
OP
fishguy242

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
POP...just came in w tired pups ,heading down in a few minutes ,see what i can accomplish ,until i hear pitter patter,of pups feet... ;) :) poppin...

OP
OP
fishguy242

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
POP...this is how i left Boogs ... :)
IMG_20211006_002241_376.jpg

2hrs later ...;Woot;Wootstilll sleepin.
decided ,have to build "platform" pallet ,"duh";Facepalmfor the table sump...:rolleyes:pics later...;) poppin..
IMG_20211006_013106_290.jpg

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
POP...this is how i left Boogs ... :)
IMG_20211006_002241_376.jpg

2hrs later ...;Woot;Wootstilll sleepin.
decided ,have to build "platform" pallet ,"duh";Facepalmfor the table sump...:rolleyes:pics later...;) poppin..
IMG_20211006_013106_290.jpg
dang, that's one tired puppy

OP
OP
fishguy242

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pre beer run teaser, this is pic one of 43 from the memory card, might have a super cute one later if the auto focus did it's job. ;)

DSC_0346 (1024x683).jpg

That was in the first 3 pics to get deleted, I have a better one but the cute one nearly came out, all three scopas tangs play up to the fox face. :)

DSC_0380 (1024x746).jpg

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning (or afternoon), all.
I was not fast enough to treat any issue with the raccoon butterflyfish, as I found it hidden wedged in a pipe dead last evening. I don't know what the problem was, but I will see how the claim goes since it was still within the 7-day alive guarantee...
It seems odd to me that the other fish were not affected if it was a tank issue...
Also, there is a bloody mass at the base of the raccoon's pectoral fin. I don't know if that is related to the death or not.
Maybe it was a good thing I did not treat for anything specific, since I really do not know what the issue was.
LA_Raccoon_Right-Side_01.JPG

LA_Raccoon_Left-Side_01.JPG

Current QT picture (including Seachem Ammonia Badge showing no Ammonia):
LA_Quarantine-Tank_01.JPG

Also, I noticed that my bottle of Fritz Zyme 9 has a "best by" date of end of November 2021, so that is a plus.

With the addition of cycled bioballs from my FOWLR, I will make sure there are no cycle issues before adding any more fish to the QT.
Question: Does anyone have any advice on how long to leave the bioballs in my cycled FOWLR to allow nitrifying bacteria to become established before moving to the quarantine?

OP
OP
fishguy242

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was not fast enough to treat any issue with the raccoon butterflyfish, as I found it hidden wedged in a pipe dead last evening. I don't know what the problem was, but I will see how the claim goes since it was still within the 7-day alive guarantee...
It seems odd to me that the other fish were not affected if it was a tank issue...
Also, there is a bloody mass at the base of the raccoon's pectoral fin. I don't know if that is related to the death or not.
Maybe it was a good thing I did not treat for anything specific, since I really do not know what the issue was.

Also, I noticed that my bottle of Fritz Zyme 9 has a "best by" date of end of November 2021, so that is a plus.

With the addition of cycled bioballs from my FOWLR, I will make sure there are no cycle issues before adding any more fish to the QT.
Question: Does anyone have any advice on how long to leave the bioballs in my cycled FOWLR to allow nitrifying bacteria to become established before moving to the quarantine?
no exp in this, guessing 21 days?? to establish ??? sorry to see losses...:(

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm sorry to see this.

So far as colonization, bac in the water moves slowly. Substrate to substrate transfer works faster. If you can lay your bio balls out on a cycled sponge somewhere in the sump, They will colonize faster. I don't think there is a single right answer, but soaking the media in your bottled BAC before adding to the sump would definitely help speed it up.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no exp in this, guessing 21 days?? to establish ??? sorry to see losses...:(
Thanks, Frank.
I'm sorry to see this.

So far as colonization, bac in the water moves slowly. Substrate to substrate transfer works faster. If you can lay your bio balls out on a cycled sponge somewhere in the sump, They will colonize faster. I don't think there is a single right answer, but soaking the media in your bottled BAC before adding to the sump would definitely help speed it up.
Thanks, @Lost in the Sauce
I think I will get the bioballs cycling in a separate tub using the Fritz, maybe even buy more bioballs to cycle also this way. That way I can always have cycled bioballs ready for QT/Hospital transfers when necessary. This is also my long-term plan with my 125-125 system to keep bioballs in one section to keep them cycled for jump-starting other systems.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 34 48.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back