I don't know how I was discovered....:grimacing-face:

Avoid The Office GIF

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm instantly exhausted by the usual suspects posts. I cant tell if it is always the LENGTH of the post or the attitude (Im right about everything) that comes with it.
Both, definitely both, not to mention the lack of quote functions and the constant double-(triple-, quadruple-...) posting.
Maybe there is good information to be found in research being done relating to the topics, but it seems very irresponsible to just state that a cycle (no matter the system, all details unnecessary) is finished after a certain number of days regardless!
Instead of dismissive attitudes we need attitudes based on scientific methods/explanations, at least in my opinion.

Not touching that one ,3 threads same time,same OP...:upside-down-face:
Yeah, I did not notice that. I can cut a new member some slack, but they need to try to understand forum etiquette.

Agree and it already has the rip clean and newly declared fish qt expert in there.
That is who I meant as the usual suspect... I've tried battling before and apparently made no headway.

Complete side-note while I'm available:
40B tank installed at work, but ran into a couple issues with plumbing due to hose being too stiff, so sump is not functional yet. In the mean-time, HOB filter has been added again and keeps a constant overload of bubbles in the water due to the overflow-limited water level.
Toadstools are mad still and one of the cleaner gobies has not shown up now for a couple days after the tank change (hopefully I'm just missing him). Foxfaces are moved from the QT to this tank until they outgrow it.
Some of my ocean live rock at home is going into this tank on the right side when I get the chance. Hopefully I can fix sump plumbing issues soon also.
Work tank upgrade progress pictures:
1675193193525.png

1675193230571.png

1675193257763.png

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree and it already has the rip clean and newly declared fish qt expert in there.
I wonder how many people he confuses with his gibberish that they just give up completely. Sad.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how many people he confuses with his gibberish that they just give up completely. Sad.
Heck, he edits his posts a 100 times lol. Then makes more posts and more edits. I am sure lots give up or just ignore him lol.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, enough of that.

Here is some hairy blenny spam. Makes the poor 5 year old hawkfish look small.

Ignore the snot bubbles, it is Dinos and I do not care. They just showed up and they will go away once I get nutrients to stay above 0 lol. Having to dose no3 and PO4 due to low bio load and about 400lbs of rocks between tank and sump. Just slowing upping the dosing day after day until I find that happy place. Won't be an issue once I throw some more collected fish in there lol.

IMG_8369.JPG

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both, definitely both, not to mention the lack of quote functions and the constant double-(triple-, quadruple-...) posting.
Maybe there is good information to be found in research being done relating to the topics, but it seems very irresponsible to just state that a cycle (no matter the system, all details unnecessary) is finished after a certain number of days regardless!
Instead of dismissive attitudes we need attitudes based on scientific methods/explanations, at least in my opinion.

Yeah, I did not notice that. I can cut a new member some slack, but they need to try to understand forum etiquette.

That is who I meant as the usual suspect... I've tried battling before and apparently made no headway.

Complete side-note while I'm available:
40B tank installed at work, but ran into a couple issues with plumbing due to hose being too stiff, so sump is not functional yet. In the mean-time, HOB filter has been added again and keeps a constant overload of bubbles in the water due to the overflow-limited water level.
Toadstools are mad still and one of the cleaner gobies has not shown up now for a couple days after the tank change (hopefully I'm just missing him). Foxfaces are moved from the QT to this tank until they outgrow it.
Some of my ocean live rock at home is going into this tank on the right side when I get the chance. Hopefully I can fix sump plumbing issues soon also.
Work tank upgrade progress pictures:
1675193193525.png
Maybe ask in that thread if this 40B is cycled yet :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, enough of that.

Here is some hairy blenny spam. Makes the poor 5 year old hawkfish look small.

Ignore the snot bubbles, it is Dinos and I do not care. They just showed up and they will go away once I get nutrients to stay above 0 lol. Having to dose no3 and PO4 due to low bio load and about 400lbs of rocks between tank and sump. Just slowing upping the dosing day after day until I find that happy place. Won't be an issue once I throw some more collected fish in there lol.

IMG_8369.JPG
gimmie
licking bbc GIF by Top Gear

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"he really needs to clean the glass"...:rolleyes:;):)
IMG_20230130_161327_975.jpg
Nope. It will stay dirty for now. Would rather be dosing nutrients and having other things to compete with the Dinos.

But the 180 on the other hand, glass is as clean as can be.

IMG_8283 3.JPG

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your scientific attitude is, well, scientific. Hey, can scientific even be an attitude? In my scientific opinion, yes, definitely yes, an attitude can be scientific. (Yeah, I know, you do not know me. Simply interjecting some humor in an otherwise non-humorous topic and, for the record, we are in agreement in that misinformation is often worse than no information.)

This type of thing is sad and can be infuriating.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe ask in that thread if this 40B is cycled yet :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I've engaged enough with him to know the answer:
Aquarium-sourced live rock always means instant cycle no matter the bioload, but the 40B needs to be rip-cleaned due to hair algae since there is no other method of dealing with it! ( :zany-face: )

Of course, I disagree with both of those points, since I understand that cycling is not about general absolutes such as a certain number of days or automatic live-rock instant full-bioload cycling, but actually about establishing (or already established) nitrifying bacteria populations to handle the bio-load and cannot grow instantly if not sufficient, and there are other methods to control system imbalances such as excessive hair algae.
Understand the chemistry/biology of the system and find a good equilibrium rather than attempting to solve all problems through manual or one-time-effect methods that do not solve the root cause! I am an engineer, after all, so root-cause analysis is common to me and always preferred over fighting symptoms except when absolutely necessary for the short-term.

For my 40B case, once I resolve the plumbing issues, the sump will include a turf scrubber and light cycle to balance nutrients in order to out-compete the display hair algae, though I did consider and do wish now that I had taken the time to scrub the rocks during the upgrade to avoid some of this initial dirtiness. It does not help this system that the rock used was originally dry rock that was "cycled" by my previous co-worker that seems to have just thrown money at issues with his tank (the 75-gallon that I got from him and catapulted me into this hobby) rather than learning anything science-related. The ocean-direct live rock is my go-to option now, and a couple sizeable pieces will help this tank immensely for both appearance and stability.

I think your scientific attitude is, well, scientific. Hey, can scientific even be an attitude? In my scientific opinion, yes, definitely yes, an attitude can be scientific. (Yeah, I know, you do not know me. Simply interjecting some humor in an otherwise non-humorous topic and, for the record, we are in agreement in that misinformation is often worse than no information.)
Hey, I am one of the still-beginner-est/research-scientific-est/slowest-progressing-on-my-main-system/lurking-est cronies, so I do prefer scientific methods and scientific attitudes as you've allowed mine to be and, though I have not before responded directly to you, I feel like I already know you since I follow this group pretty closely and picked up on your return to activity! Nice to have you and I'll see you around.

(also, I do apologize for my common long-winded text-walls that distract from the short, witty derailing that is normal activity for the Cafe!)

I cant even decide who the annoying person is in the thread/threads. lol
He who is not to be named, but starts with a "B", almost rhymes with "random", ends with a number like the third-to-last day of April (MDD)... who also has personal experiences limited to fishless nano-reefs...

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This type of thing is sad and can be infuriating.
It really is. A lot of good, helpful information gets lost in threads because the person offering it isn't the loudest in the room. Most of us on the reef squad and lots of great folks on here would like to help others, but I'm not going to force my "help" or opinions on anyone like some do. Sorry my rant is over. Back to reef talk lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back