my new baby... AKA The Café

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've engaged enough with him to know the answer:
Aquarium-sourced live rock always means instant cycle no matter the bioload, but the 40B needs to be rip-cleaned due to hair algae since there is no other method of dealing with it! ( :zany-face: )

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Whatever you say, but not even close in my opinion in context here!
Sorry, I was just reading the Cliff notes and missed that entire other thread.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I was just reading the Cliff notes and missed that entire other thread.
You didn't miss much. Actually, you did but I would not recommend reading what you missed. Unless, of course, you like reading things that provide motivation to shoot someone in the face.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant even decide who the annoying person is in the thread/threads. lol
It's me. For sure me.
I've engaged enough with him to know the answer:
Aquarium-sourced live rock always means instant cycle no matter the bioload, but the 40B needs to be rip-cleaned due to hair algae since there is no other method of dealing with it! ( :zany-face: )

Of course, I disagree with both of those points, since I understand that cycling is not about general absolutes such as a certain number of days or automatic live-rock instant full-bioload cycling, but actually about establishing (or already established) nitrifying bacteria populations to handle the bio-load and cannot grow instantly if not sufficient, and there are other methods to control system imbalances such as excessive hair algae.
Understand the chemistry/biology of the system and find a good equilibrium rather than attempting to solve all problems through manual or one-time-effect methods that do not solve the root cause! I am an engineer, after all, so root-cause analysis is common to me and always preferred over fighting symptoms except when absolutely necessary for the short-term.

For my 40B case, once I resolve the plumbing issues, the sump will include a turf scrubber and light cycle to balance nutrients in order to out-compete the display hair algae, though I did consider and do wish now that I had taken the time to scrub the rocks during the upgrade to avoid some of this initial dirtiness. It does not help this system that the rock used was originally dry rock that was "cycled" by my previous co-worker that seems to have just thrown money at issues with his tank (the 75-gallon that I got from him and catapulted me into this hobby) rather than learning anything science-related. The ocean-direct live rock is my go-to option now, and a couple sizeable pieces will help this tank immensely for both appearance and stability.

Hey, I am one of the still-beginner-est/research-scientific-est/slowest-progressing-on-my-main-system/

He who is not to be named, but starts with a "B", almost rhymes with "random", ends with a number like the third-to-last day of April (MDD)... who also has personal experiences limited to fishless nano-reefs...
You spelled @Mschmidt wrong

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait so every 6 mos we are suppose to rip clean....lol hold on lemme ask Maury....
maury-that-was-a-lie.gif

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You didn't miss much. Actually, you did but I would not recommend reading what you missed. Unless, of course, you like reading things that provide motivation to shoot someone in the face.
Sometimes people just need a high five to the face...

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't even do what would count as a rip clean when I transferred tanks.
I just missed my rip-clean chance with my recent work tank upgrade.

From the sounds of it, "the usual players" are my back out the thread cues
I think you already have him blocked... I've considered it, but wish I could do it for the new members instead!

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think you already have him blocked... I've considered it, but wish I could do it for the new members instead!
Right idk if I was ever corrupted by the dude.

But rip clean not sure what would constitute that. I think there's solutions for almost everything. And that's some of the fun of the hobby.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Yeah, I can't seem to find the "mute" or "ban" button... Hey Siri, find the ban button.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.4%
Back