my new baby... AKA The Café

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a yellow Coris.
I like the color variation on this guy (Halichoeres leucoxanthus) much more than the solid yellow of a yellow Coris (assume you mean Halichoeres chrysus and not an actual Coris wrasse?). For practical purposes, they are nearly identical: size, activity, utility, etc.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind, read the follow up post. It's not a yellow Coris.
For a while, I was wondering if my wrasse actually was a whitebelly wrasse as intended, since the coloration looked almost solid yellow. As it has matured, the white is more noticeable and I have confirmed that it depends a lot on the lighting.

Bright white lights make the white belly glow yellow due to the light shining through semi-translucent yellow top half first.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
POP...
Mingi lil ticked at 8am ,when I went in to catch clown... ;) :)
IMG_20230208_085610_611.jpg
IMG_20230208_085439_086.jpg
Mine goes all stripy when he's sleeping.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna hatch them?
Definitely going to try! I’m not even sure what kind I was just told “I’m sending you a surprise let me know if you want hatching instructions”lol

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the color variation on this guy (Halichoeres leucoxanthus) much more than the solid yellow of a yellow Coris (assume you mean Halichoeres chrysus and not an actual Coris wrasse?). For practical purposes, they are nearly identical: size, activity, utility, etc.

For a while, I was wondering if my wrasse actually was a whitebelly wrasse as intended, since the coloration looked almost solid yellow. As it has matured, the white is more noticeable and I have confirmed that it depends a lot on the lighting.

Bright white lights make the white belly glow yellow due to the light shining through semi-translucent yellow top half first.
I need a gif of someone nodding knowingly but obviously not knowing.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a gif of someone nodding knowingly but obviously not knowing.
What's not to know? ;)
Both wrasses look similar, just that H. chrysus is all yellow and H. leucoxanthus is yellow on top half and white on belly half. Light shining through yellow top half makes white belly half look yellow under bright lights, so I was not sure which I actually got until recently confirming I got the H. leucoxanthus I wanted and ordered.

Man, even trying to simplify, this still looks TL;DR!

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's not to know? ;)
Both wrasses look similar, just that H. chrysus is all yellow and H. leucoxanthus is yellow on top half and white on belly half. Light shining through yellow top half makes white belly half look yellow under bright lights, so I was not sure which I actually got until recently confirming I got the H. leucoxanthus I wanted and ordered.

Man, even trying to simplify, this still looks TL;DR!
It's the scientific names that get me.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the scientific names that get me.
Ah, sorry, I often include scientific names so it is clear what I am talking about, particularly in cases like this where discussion is about two very similar species that have numerous common names. It is particularly troublesome that the (common name) yellow "Coris" wrasse is not from the Coris family at all and is actually from the Halichoeres family (maybe "choeres" wrasse is where the misnomer comes from?).

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, sorry, I often include scientific names so it is clear what I am talking about, particularly in cases like this where discussion is about two very similar species that have numerous common names. It is particularly troublesome that the (common name) yellow "Coris" wrasse is not from the Coris family at all and is actually from the Halichoeres family (maybe "choeres" wrasse is where the misnomer comes from?).
Right which is why you can have a yellow coris and red coris together supposedly :p

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back