James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened to slowing down?
Indiferencia Shrug GIF

I’m only going to be getting softies anyway...

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thing is trippin’ me out: (sorry for the back pictures. I took a video and then I screen shot these)
32F73253-F6A9-4FF3-AD20-8A20CA4D61AA.png
4161DAD9-4A53-4D2F-B791-845916C497A9.png
59A8D753-3D17-430E-8E7C-F5468D5DA342.png

It’s super weird. Sort of like a shrimp but it has a weird body shape. It also has a striped back and moves along the bottom of the tank super weird.

This is the thing that I’ve been finding it’s shed skins. ;Nailbiting;Yuck
Looks like a gammarid amphipod. Google that and compare. My old eyes and slightly fuzzy pic don’t work out well for me lol.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a gammarid amphipod. Google that and compare. My old eyes and slightly fuzzy pic don’t work out well for me lol.
That’s definitely it... creepy to the max. (Reminds me of fleas. We had a giant flea infestation in our old house. That was pure torture every single day)

Might be TMI.;) :p

—-

Good, bad, or indifferent for the tank?

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s definitely it... creepy to the max. (Reminds me of fleas. We had a giant flea infestation in our old house. That was pure torture every single day)

—-

Good

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

—-

Not sure if I'd blanket state good as there are many species that will eat coral. Way to many threads as well as ive see it first hand.
General rule of thumb id use is drop meaty food in see if they eat it. If they do there's a good chance they could eat your coral if population gets to big and food source runs out.
They are general pest in my system. They take mysis shrimp out of shrooms mouths lol. Make a huge mess.
Can't wait to get wrasse back in to best them up and keep in check.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I'd blanket state good as there are many species that will eat coral. Way to many threads as well as ive see it first hand.
General rule of thumb id use is drop meaty food in see if they eat it. If they do there's a good chance they could eat your coral if population gets to big and food source runs out.
They are general pest in my system. They take mysis shrimp out of shrooms mouths lol. Make a huge mess.
The clowns were attacking it, but they gave up.
pathetic rowan atkinson GIF

I’ll keep an eye on it. I’m not seeing any issues with the corals, so I assuming it’s content eating leftover food?

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the ones I have only come out at night. Before I swapped tanks my rocks would crawl after swapping I guess I lost some. I have noticed my ghost shrimp will eat the. Funny to see. I also think my larger male mandarin can eat small ones.
On another note they can eat copeopods

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns were attacking it, but they gave up.
pathetic rowan atkinson GIF

I’ll keep an eye on it. I’m not seeing any issues with the corals, so I assuming it’s content eating leftover food?
Some are carnivorous not sure about yours. If your have half inch ones your seeing i guarantee you there's plenty of babies your not. Check it out at night when they really come out. Mine loved eating my rfa. Irritate my shrooms by nestling around them and are quickly getting out of hand again without natural predators.
Drop a mysis in at night. If they snatch it up yes I believe they could quickly get out of hand in your nano without something in it to keep in check and food runs low.

Last edited:

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some are carnivorous not sure about yours. If your have half inch ones your seeing i guarantee you there's plenty of babies your not. Check it out at night when they really come out. Mine loved eating my rfa. Irritate my shrooms by nestling around them and are quickly getting pit of hand again without natural predators.
Drop a mysis in at night. If they snatch it up yes I believe they could quickly get out of hand in your nano without something in it to keep in check and food runs low.
Oh dang, that sounds horrible.

I will stay up a tad tonight, just to minister. I really hope I don’t have any babies.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh dang, that sounds horrible.

I will stay up a tad tonight, just to minister. I really hope I don’t have any babies.
Don't freak out. Check with mysis tonight they will snatch it up and eat it if they are carnivorous then you know.
I'm sure you have tons if you are seeing the big ones out during day mine are out at all hours again. When I had a wrasse in I could literally watch them try to climb out of my tubs it was glorious. Especially when wrasse caught the big ones and tore apart against the rocks..
Like I said they are a nuisance for me and my fishless tables but good source of food for fishes that eat them I suppose. Just not for me lol

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the ones I have only come out at night. Before I swapped tanks my rocks would crawl after swapping I guess I lost some. I have noticed my ghost shrimp will eat the. Funny to see. I also think my larger male mandarin can eat small ones.
On another note they can eat copeopods
Right on yeah mine loved the copepods I was feeding system only made populations bigger. With natural predators I dont see them posing as big of problem if any than a system allowing populations to grow un checked.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bro you ain't lying.

July 4th weekend my tank gets fish again. Can't wait to get the predators back in. First wave will be two black mollies. After clearing the tank is good to go, the melanarus and flasher will be going to WORK.

My bristle worms have gotten so brazen they Cruze the sandbed during the day. Stars going nuts and Vermited snails Everywhere.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't freak out. Check with mysis tonight they will snatch it up and eat it if they are carnivorous then you know.
I'm sure you have tons if you are seeing the big ones out during day mine are out at all hours again. When I had a wrasse in I could literally watch them try to climb out of my tubs it was glorious. Especially when wrasse caught the big ones and tore apart against the rocks..
Like I said they are a nuisance for me and my fishless tables but good source of food for fishes that eat them I suppose. Just not for me lol
Let’s hope my clowns will man up and destroy that one.

It kinda looks like a mysis, so maybe they will? :p

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have algae and left over food for them to eat, good guys.

If you have nothing for them to eat but corals, bad guys.

Numerous wrasses and damsels eat them.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bro you ain't lying.

July 4th weekend my tank gets fish again. Can't wait to get the predators back in. First wave will be two black mollies. After clearing the tank is good to go, the melanarus and flasher will be going to WORK.

My bristle worms have gotten so brazen they Cruze the sandbed during the day. Stars going nuts and Vermited snails Everywhere.
For sure man. Ridiculous. Steve said it best you have to have fed tank and def natural predators to keep in check. I dont feed my shrooms enough trying to change that now. Once I get fish back in its on and popping. Shrooms love the mix im feeding fish right now. But yeah my worms and amphipods are out all day long and starting to molt like crazy. Def a such thing as having to much of a good thing in this case haha

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool critters. They really like bristleworms. I have seen them try to grab small unsuspecting fish when hungry though.

im very tempted to get one when the time comes. Not thinking about any fish too tiny but who knows

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have algae and left over food for them to eat, good guys.

If you have nothing for them to eat but corals, bad guys.

Numerous wrasses and damsels eat them.
What kind of damsel or other fish would be good for James nano? You said it best man.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back