My new obsession

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not suggesting everyone should go and start pouring in Po4 or start soiling their sump (@ScottB). I do get some unwanted hair algae and some great growth, slow growth and zero growth with my numbers/methods. This is more to show that elevated po4 is not going to cause “browning” or a death sentence.

Hi Charlie,
Nice video, I see the passion shifting towards speciosa species from tenuis. They look magnificent!!! Many roads and paths to take in life and reefkeeping, enjoy your route, make the best of the experience!
Well done :)

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn off all flow and target feed the dragon face everyday though bc I dose interceptor every time I add a new coral.
I've got a six line. I would love a dragonface, but was advised against it. Getting the impression you like housing fish that can work for your acros.

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a six line. I would love a dragonface, but was advised against it. Getting the impression you like housing fish that can work for your acros.
Basslets, a clown, cardinals, a six line, tomini tang and the pipefish. I spend more time worrying about the pipefish than I do enjoying it. And it doesn’t really help with pests….hence the interceptor treatments.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn off all flow and target feed the dragon face everyday though bc I dose interceptor every time I add a new coral.
I should dose Interceptor more often than I do, but it is such a hassle trying to round up all the various shrimp and crabs I keep. Lucky if I get it done once a year. And if crab or shrimp gets left behind, they are goners the next day.

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should dose Interceptor more often than I do, but it is such a hassle trying to round up all the various shrimp and crabs I keep. Lucky if I get it done once a year. And if crab or shrimp gets left behind, they are goners the next day.
No need for shrimp for me and all my hermits were moved to another tank. No more hermits in the sps system. I really like my Hawaiian zebras but…..I like my Tenuis more

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Charlie,
Nice video, I see the passion shifting towards speciosa species from tenuis. They look magnificent!!! Many roads and paths to take in life and reefkeeping, enjoy your route, make the best of the experience!
Well done :)
Thanks @Perry
I still love my Tenuis but I have soooooo many and so do a lot of other hobbyist. It’s just exciting getting into something new and rare.

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test Day
84584A55-8808-4C4F-81F2-0050BF652D12.png
DA09745D-47FE-419D-A0E9-B011F7B9D94E.jpeg

Aimforever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s supposed to aid in coral health, better color and polyp extension. Something I was told from the old reefersdirect store back in 2018. It’s relatively cheap bc my system is so small. I’ve never had or even seen a aefw btw. I do not recommend the kz coral booster though. The few times I tried it a random Tenuis would rtn.
Dude, I thought it was just me. Every single time I dosed the KZ coral booster I had a tenuis RTN as well. Lost a few really nice frags and one colony before I made the connection :(

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, I thought it was just me. Every single time I dosed the KZ coral booster I had a tenuis RTN as well. Lost a few really nice frags and one colony before I made the connection :(
Same experience here. Jf HW really doesn’t like that stuff. I love the fws though. Never had any obvious issue with it.

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized how you're mounting those frags. Do they end up encrusting the plug well? Seems like it would get them up in the flow.
I’ve only been doing it that way for 6 months but they seem to be encrusting well and throwing new branches faster. That wasn’t my goal. I needed a way to add extra growing space with a more secure hold

Last edited:

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s supposed to aid in coral health, better color and polyp extension. Something I was told from the old reefersdirect store back in 2018. It’s relatively cheap bc my system is so small. I’ve never had or even seen a aefw btw. I do not recommend the kz coral booster though. The few times I tried it a random Tenuis would rtn.
I am interested in your observation about Coral Booster causing RTN events for you. Have you run any ICP tests on your tank that you could share?

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not done an icp test in over a year….maybe 2 years actually.
Ok, thanks anyway. I just read the article "How We Use ICP-OES Results Of Unknown Accuracy And Precision" and frankly I doubt I would have been able to conclude much from your ICP, even if you had a recent one. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks anyway. I just read the article "How We Use ICP-OES Results Of Unknown Accuracy And Precision" and frankly I doubt I would have been able to conclude much from your ICP, even if you had a recent one. :rolleyes:
I saw a post from a well known that vendor that blamed a crash on coral booster as well. He claims it has a strong dose of potassium in it.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a post from a well known that vendor that blamed a crash on coral booster as well. He claims it has a strong dose of potassium in it.
KZ mentions that it enhances pink and blue colouration. The pink suggests iodine, but I am not sure what trace would boost blue. My gut feeling is that it contains trace elements that get depleted quickly, kind of like ESV Transition Elements provides Iron, Manganese and Zinc, or it boosts a combination of traces above NSW levels that encourages a growth response. They do warn you on the bottle to not overdose.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back