My new old 55 gallon tank

ASAG62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
So I was looking into an AIO system but I got a heck of a deal on this old 55. Want to do a reef tank and I don't want to drill holes in this tank for a sump. Thinking about running just a skimmer and power-heads. (Tell me how wrong I am). Also lighting and lid suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Just want to keep it simple for now until I get the tank going with corals, some fish and maybe a couple clams.

tank.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is nice. Especially for and old tank. Looks new. Nothing wrong with running a skimmer and powerheads. It’s berlin style. I would say stay away for clams for a long time, and tank may be a bit small once you put rock and other stuff in it.

Lids you can get a screen style or glass. That 55 looks like Marineland glass tops would fit. Lighting there is just too many options. Depends on if you are going to want to keep sps or not.

I would definitely start a build thread, if u want, so we can watch progress. And u get cool build thread badge.

If this is first tank I would read how to start a reef tank in the forums section of meet and greet.

stevewright1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run tanks with just HOB skimmers and wavemakers/ powerheads when I 1st started a saltwater aquarium.
ran a cannister filter also for any chemical media I wanted to use (Rowa, Purigen, carbon etc)
and in fact also did same with internal power filters on 1 set up many years ago (everything within the confines of the tank meant only 1 possible source of leaks LOL?)

I was very selective on inhabitants (GSP, Mushrooms, Button Polyps, assorted soft leather corals, etc - the more simple to keep species from the beginners coral lists at that time. )

I went with 4 x T10s or maybe T12s with reflectors (been about 35 years so memory is fuzzy) for lighting back in those days , but if I was doing same again now, I would obviously be using T5s and a 6 lamp fixture would be my choice .

I think its a great way to get started in the hobby and I wish you good luck with your project.

OP
OP
ASAG62

ASAG62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is nice. Especially for and old tank. Looks new. Nothing wrong with running a skimmer and powerheads. It’s berlin style. I would say stay away for clams for a long time, and tank may be a bit small once you put rock and other stuff in it.

Lids you can get a screen style or glass. That 55 looks like Marineland glass tops would fit. Lighting there is just too many options. Depends on if you are going to want to keep sps or not.

I would definitely start a build thread, if u want, so we can watch progress. And u get cool build thread badge.

If this is first tank I would read how to start a reef tank in the forums section of meet and greet.

Thanks for the advise, I really appreciate. Looking at the Tunze comline reefpack 250. looks like a good option

OP
OP
ASAG62

ASAG62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run tanks with just HOB skimmers and wavemakers/ powerheads when I 1st started a saltwater aquarium.
ran a cannister filter also for any chemical media I wanted to use (Rowa, Purigen, carbon etc)
and in fact also did same with internal power filters on 1 set up many years ago (everything within the confines of the tank meant only 1 possible source of leaks LOL?)

I was very selective on inhabitants (GSP, Mushrooms, Button Polyps, assorted soft leather corals, etc - the more simple to keep species from the beginners coral lists at that time. )

I went with 4 x T10s or maybe T12s with reflectors (been about 35 years so memory is fuzzy) for lighting back in those days , but if I was doing same again now, I would obviously be using T5s and a 6 lamp fixture would be my choice .

I think its a great way to get started in the hobby and I wish you good luck with your project.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I will start a build thread (if I can figure it out) to show my progress.

OP
OP
ASAG62

ASAG62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checking, water yet?

So I've spent a lot of $$$$ these last two weeks. Here's my list

* 2 - Tunze Nanostream 6045 pumps
* 2 - AI Hydra Twenty Six HD LED fixtures with mounting brackets
* OCTO Classic 1000 HOB Skimmer
* Eheim Jager 200w Heater
* Sand and Salt.

so I'm ready to get the water and salt mixing in the tank. I'll keep you posted, I probably should start a new tank thread.

THANKS for asking.:)

OP
OP
ASAG62

ASAG62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's been delayed for a while. So now I have the water in and doing the "mollie" test. Thinking about adding a powerfilter (thoughts?) If all's well going to add my rock. Pictures to come. Thanks for asking.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just buy some clear mesh screening on Amazon and a screen frame kit from Menards/Home Depot for your lid. Probably the cheapest option that still looks good.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Tunze 6045 might be a bit much, especially if you add on a power filter like an AC110.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about the Fluval C4

I should rephrase. 2 Tunze 6045's alone might be too much in a skinny 55, depending on your scape.

05FLSTCI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ASAG62 This is exactly how I did my 55G about 15 or so years ago, basic and simple, nothing more then what you're about to do now. I can't remember the skimmer but the heads were hang on type with clamps and suction cups, then probably AquaClear or Fluval. I made a mistake in another post claiming I had LED's, I did not,, I had T5's and metal halide bulbs, not LEDs. (The ex remembered that).
I had hosting clowns, an anemone, a nice small maxima clam and plenty of corals, fish and cleaning crew. I did not have SPS corals, most were hardy simple stuff with plenty of color. Nice tank, family fun and budget minded. After a long break, I'm finialy setting up a Biocube 32. The same way. Good Luck, going o keep an eye on this one.

OP
OP
ASAG62

ASAG62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so I started a thread in the Members tank forum. It's called My New Old 55 Gallon Reef Tank Named "Snorkel Paradise" let me know what you think.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back