My new Purple Tang

110reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of my new Purple Tang. Awesome fish so far, it is 6-7" long, but very mild mannered.

1116092004a.jpg

1116092003a.jpg

1116092000a.jpg

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo purple tangs are one of the most beautiful creatures on the planet.

congrats!

OP
OP
110reef

110reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Sorry about the picture quality, but I took them with my crappy cell phone. It has really settled into the tank very fast, it is very calm for a tang, especially a large tang, and is also always watching everything that goes on in the room, and comes up to you if you approach the tank. Very unusual for a fish thats been in the tank just 2 days so far.

1116092002a.jpg

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...comes up to you if you approach the tank.

as much as this is "neat" for a tang to do, i have come to hate it when they do that. it now makes me feel it is their way of begging to be let out of captivity. of course a solution would be to build them a much bigger home...

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine, it is one of the most mild tempered fish in my tank, which prompted my wife to name him lambert, from the sheepish lion cartoon...supposed to be aggressive, but kinda a wimp. The only issue I have with mine is when I am gluing animals to rocks. He backs up to my hand and shakes his tail at it, luckily his aim is atrocious otherwise i would be pretty cut up already.

OP
OP
110reef

110reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as much as this is "neat" for a tang to do, i have come to hate it when they do that. it now makes me feel it is their way of begging to be let out of captivity. of course a solution would be to build them a much bigger home...

Well, I am housing it in a 240 gallon tank 8' X 2' X 2', which I understand is miniscule relative to the ocean, but I think he has enough space. I think he is just curious, not begging to be let out. Maybe begging for food though...:wink:

JNye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

this is why i have grown to hate keeping large free swimmers in captivity. gorgeous fish though, i have one too.

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very pretty fish. Ive had one now for about 3 months and he has quickly grown to be one of my favorites. Very docile. I have added 2 fish since him and he has never bothered them once, and both were tangs. Good luck with him

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 78.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back