My new rimless cube!

TomatoSauceTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I just wanted to show off my tank a little bit that I love so much and hope everyone else likes it just as much or has some critiques! :mad:

I use to have a 20gH which I heavily neglected which you will see in pictures and have moved everything over to a 50g 24x24x20 tank. Most of the rock from the old tank was used only for the sump and dry rock for the display. I use to use t5's and have switched to a kessil to keep a very clean look and love it even though I want to use max intensity ASAP! =/ *my candy cane stems receded when I got power hungry. I'm finally using a skimmer mainly because I decided on a predator(venomous) tank since they won't jump out and I've always loved them.

My old tank was mainly LPS and I have gotten rid of any softies and now it's a pure LPS tank. I have been debating sharing my tank; part of me is scared since some people have such high quality corals, and the other part is I'm going to be adding 2-5 new corals after MACNA. My plans are to get a yellow hammer to put in the middle of the other hammers, a pale green / blue candy cane to put on the other candy cane rock, and IF I see acans I must have I might swap the two I already have, and lastly I really want to get a different brain for the front. *FUTURE UPDATES!* I will then let everything grow out and be happy.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I'm really trying to break up the colors and have a bit of contrast here and there. The top is very bright green, the lower section is more rainbow etc...so I put the lemon glaze lower to have a pop, I really want to move the blue scoly behind the right meat coral, but it would hide it...but it would help with a transition. I'm hoping the cyphastreas grow quickly to break up the green dominance up top.

Fish:
Fu Manchu Lionfish (LOVES PE Mysis and live ghost shrimp)
Yellow Leaf Scorpionfish (currently only eating live ghost shrimp)
*slowly working on prepared foods*

Corals:
2 hammers
3 favia: WWC diversity, WWC lemon glaze, cupid heart
2 meat corals
2 scoly
1 lobophyllia
2 cyphastrea: WWC bizaro, WWC four color
1 plate
1 kryptonite candy cane
1 blasto
2 CC rainbow acans...I guess =/ * I have such trouble having acans pop and the colors fade*

System Levels:
Temp 76.5*F
Ph 8.2
Ca ~400
Mg ~1280
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0

I don't like to dose A&B or purple up, before I did based on tests and directions and I always ended up killing inverts. Now I just do water changes with Instant Ocean and things seem to be great and thrive. In my old tank I did weekly 5g water changes and now I'm doing 15g water changes weekly. This is my first attempt at preds and I'm glad my levels are doing great.

Now for the pictures...o_O

1.JPG

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

1c.jpg

2a.JPG

2b.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

DSCF5649.JPG

DSCF5653.JPG

DSCF5654.JPG

DSCF5659.JPG

DSCF5660.JPG

DSCF5718.JPG

DSCF5757.JPG

DSCF5720.JPG

DSCF5760.JPG

DSCF5756.JPG

DSCF5762.JPG

DSCF5763.JPG

DSCF5765.JPG

DSCF5766.JPG

DSCF5767.JPG

DSCF5768.JPG

DSCF5769.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TomatoSauceTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man that was a fast reply!!! Really? I'm glad you like it, my fiance and I worked it out on the floor of my friends shop. My lion loves the cave while my leaf stands guard, but once shrimp are in the tank the lion is a man with a plan.

Once I got this tank setup I wanted an even larger width!!!

OP
OP
T

TomatoSauceTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice the lion fish is Wicked lol.

This is my favorite lion pic, even though he stays upside down in the cave most of the time. I love the movement of the lion's dorsal fins!

So many fish move constantly, but I find the most still fish to be the most interesting so far.

Attachments

• DSCF5704.JPG
    DSCF5704.JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 218

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is beautiful and modern, you should be very proud of it. ;)

ReefXotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank. I love cube tanks and actually have one myself. 60g cube that's 24"x24"x24" mixed tank. Good luck with your tank and keep up the great work!
image.jpg

EzraZamir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank! My krypto will not grow for some reason so I'm entirely jealous. :D

ReefXotic - how old is your tank? It's beautiful...and you have an Nem. I just lost mine in a tank that's really stable and 9 months old. Just wondering if you have any advice on keeping one.

OP
OP
T

TomatoSauceTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EzraZamir - I feed them a lot, they were originally two heads and then they wouldn't stop splitting!

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great set up. I've got the same tank and love it! One thing to watch out for. The hinges will begin to rust from splatter in the sump.

Joshua Cline

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed your lion? Have you had any issues with him and other fish? Been thinking about getting one

OP
OP
T

TomatoSauceTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, wow. Mine have had 2 heads for 6 months now. I'm definitely not doing something right. What are you feeding?
I feed Fauna Marin LPS pellets mostly and Rod's Food.

What do you feed your lion? Have you had any issues with him and other fish? Been thinking about getting one
I feed it frozen PE mysis and live ghost shrimp. He's only in the tank with a leaf scorpion and neither can eat each other. These two fish are very new and I'm very lucky he was eating prepared foods immediately, the leaf is being a pain and I think he is a food snob after gobbling down a 3" flame hawk. I'm hoping one day I can feed LRS to them by offering them live > dead > frozen in a net.

If the fish isn't fat and same size as the lion than it's going to become food. Also have to be careful with fish that might nip at them.

Attachments

• IMG_20150805_144650987.jpg
    IMG_20150805_144650987.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 204
Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TomatoSauceTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since someone asked about the lion, I thought I would show a quick live feeding clip. It isn't easy to hold the camera, zoom, and feed accurately! I will show the PE mysis feeding in a couple days when I feed it again.

EzraZamir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this is a noob question, but what do you do if you need to get your hands into the tank to do something that'll take more than a second or two? Any precautions outside of gloving up? Just curious.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%

Back