My New Setup - help required!

wonderphil-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am currently setting up a new 45-gallon tank. I have two issues that I need help with.

The setup is, tank with an overflow box on the side, piped down to the sump, in the first section I have the pipe coming down from overflow into filter sock, with the pipe sitting above the water level. Then there is a baffle, followed by a section for refugium followed by another baffle, then the last section has a return section with a pump in it that push water back to the tank above.

The first issue I have is bubbles coming into the tank from the return pipe, but I think this is my return pump is too small and the pipe has bends which are leading to air in the pipe, any suggestion on other reason would be great.

The second and main issue is the overflow box stops working. I set the flow working in the tank and sump, seems to going well and staying level, but at some point, the overflow box seems to stop and then the pump in the return keeps going till it pumps all the water back into the tank which then overflows and goes on to the floor. At one point I thought this was because my overflow box pipe was going into the water in the sump and not above it, so I changed that, now a few days later I find it happens again. The only thing I can think is that the pump in the return section stops and the overflow box stops getting water, and then the pump starts again, but can't understand why that would happen.
The overflow box is a Skimz OM2500.

I have attached a completely out of scale drawing of what I have, might help.

tank.jpg

Any help would be grateful, lucky I haven't laid the flooring where I have the tank yet so no damage but would like to soon so need to sort this out.

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am currently setting up a new 45-gallon tank. I have two issues that I need help with.

The setup is, tank with an overflow box on the side, piped down to the sump, in the first section I have the pipe coming down from overflow into filter sock, with the pipe sitting above the water level. Then there is a baffle, followed by a section for refugium followed by another baffle, then the last section has a return section with a pump in it that push water back to the tank above.

The first issue I have is bubbles coming into the tank from the return pipe, but I think this is my return pump is too small and the pipe has bends which are leading to air in the pipe, any suggestion on other reason would be great.

The second and main issue is the overflow box stops working. I set the flow working in the tank and sump, seems to going well and staying level, but at some point, the overflow box seems to stop and then the pump in the return keeps going till it pumps all the water back into the tank which then overflows and goes on to the floor. At one point I thought this was because my overflow box pipe was going into the water in the sump and not above it, so I changed that, now a few days later I find it happens again. The only thing I can think is that the pump in the return section stops and the overflow box stops getting water, and then the pump starts again, but can't understand why that would happen.
The overflow box is a Skimz OM2500.

I have attached a completely out of scale drawing of what I have, might help.

tank.jpg

Any help would be grateful, lucky I haven't laid the flooring where I have the tank yet so no damage but would like to soon so need to sort this out.
Sounds like the siphon for your overflow box is cutting out which is the issue. Not sure what would cause that but lack of water there is the only guess I have. You’d have to watch it and see what happens IMO

OP
OP
wonderphil-reef

wonderphil-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the siphon for your overflow box is cutting out which is the issue. Not sure what would cause that but lack of water there is the only guess I have. You’d have to watch it and see what happens IMO
Might be time to set up video camera and record to see it.

OP
OP
wonderphil-reef

wonderphil-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back