My New Tank IM50

Reef Able

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys been a member on RR for quite a while....i have had my 150G display with 125G basement sump for quite some time and has posted pics etc, However i got rid of that tank and wanted to downgrade in order to do less work and enjoy the hobby more...

So i got myself Innovative Marine 50. This is an all in one tank with the dimensions of 30 x 24 x 16 inches. The back 4” out of 24 is used for your filteration equipment and return pump. The overall swim space is about 41 gallons and the filteration chamber 4 x 30 inches comes to 9 gallons approximately. You have 2 overflows on each corner followed with media chamber on each side and then the return pump chamber in the middle. I have attached a picture of the back wall (courtesy of Innovative Marine Manual) to give a sneak peek at the rear chamber. Usually people use one overflow where you can hang in a 200 micron filter sock, media basket or a filter floss and the 2nd overflow box is used to install your protein skimmer. The skimmer i am going to use is Tunze 9004 which fits perfectly in one of the overflow slot and is good enough for this size tank.

The return flow is provided by a 45W 476GPH pump through a dual directional flow nozzles which comes included with the tank.

This tank is pretty much plug and play and yet be able to enjoy the hobby with minimal maintenance. I cant stress how satisfied i am with this size and tank..

I picked up the tank in a package deal from a local reefer in Toronto, Canada. The tank is lit by Generation 4 Radion XR30 and is controlled using APEX 2016. The light, tank/stand and Apex was the package deal.

The tank cycle started on March 18th 2018. Today is Day 3 of the cycle. The tank is being cycled using CaribSea Life Rock and live sand using Seachem Stability and a shrimp. To assist in cycling i am using small pieces of live rock from my existing 20G cube which is used to hold some of my corals from my previous 150G.

I will update as the tank progresses. For now enjoy some pictures and my apology for such a long post LOL...

fed661cf5072ad7b354306cf4171912b.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reef Able

Reef Able

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry folks got busy and almost forgot to update the thread.. So the tank has completed the cycle in 2 weeks i guess due to addition of matured Live Rock and live sand with Seachem Stability.....the first water change was done after the cycle...Added GFO in TLF 150 reactor, also added Tunze 9004 skimmer and turned lights on gradually....i know diatoms are coming since the lights are on now lol....i ran the cycle without lights to keep algae at bay...

The tank parameters after the cycle completion is
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10ppm
Phosphate 0.07ppm
Cal 450 ppm
Alk 9 DKH
Mag 1440 ppm
Salinity 1.026 ppm

I have added my pair of Occellaris which have been with me for 4 years now and some zoas to check out the system...I will be introducing a Chaeto Reactor soon to handle the Phosphates...wish me good luck...

I would like you guys to tell me what fish i can add to my lagoon...every fish must have a job to do...i need some to eat algae, some to eat pests etc...

Here are the pictures...Thanks..
ab59dd51b38e91a15824293c0b4ef349.jpg

FredsNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far buddy!
And my suggestions are for a yellow coris wrasse for critter eating and a conch snail or 2 for sand bed algae eating.
Keep up the good work!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back