OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that was to eventually be expected was flashing. Beauty of starting the tank out with no inverts is I just dropped salinity. Down to 1.012sg and no flashing and everyone eating like pigs. I add Focus/Metroplex to the food just in case. Also did a PraziPro with Furan 2 treatment in the system a week or so ago just to be safe.

Sandeep1920

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temporary light hooked up (could end up permanent)
59B10193-7BFB-4880-AB78-C12FCBBF3C7D.jpeg
looks gr8
which light is this..

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well got velvet . Honestly kind of expected it eventually and am going with in tank treatment at therapeutic level with copper power.

With this being a FOWLR I feel best to do my entire QT in tank with the majority of the fish I want to keep already in the system. I feel that the fish are more likely to survive being in a more natural environment than moving them to a separate system that isn’t nearly as ready to deal with the load, aeration, comfortability, etc.

Could have been avoided if doing QT but with FOWLR and observing the fish frequently in tank treatment works best but will not for everyone.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well got velvet . Honestly kind of expected it eventually and am going with in tank treatment at therapeutic level with copper power.

With this being a FOWLR I feel best to do my entire QT in tank with the majority of the fish I want to keep already in the system. I feel that the fish are more likely to survive being in a more natural environment than moving them to a separate system that isn’t nearly as ready to deal with the load, aeration, comfortability, etc.

Could have been avoided if doing QT but with FOWLR and observing the fish frequently in tank treatment works best but will not for everyone.

Having the copper power and Hanna checker ready to go looks like it will save the Harlequin Tusk. He looks better already. Even ate a little food. Do not see a bunch of spots on him like before. He was flashing a lot once I got the Copper in the tank. Also noticed head shakes on a couple other fish. Think I may have caught it in time. Will know more in the next few days. Have a small Heniochus and a Babers Butterfly in there that's cleaning everyone up so that's helping out too.

Also makes sense for the Tusk to show signs first from whatever fish infected the system. The Tusk swims a good amount in the top half of the tank. Velvet is known to be attracted to light and swim towards the light when on.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At Day 4 with everyone in copper in display. All have seem to recovered well. Only fish lost was the one I believe infected the tank with velvet. I did loose my bluespot though. Procrastinating on adding tops to tank :mad:.

Treatment in the tank is so much easier for me. Fish are less stressed and cramped. Does take monitoring copper daily with rock in system but not that huge of a deal.

Every butterfly is eating. I added a Regal Angel that’s getting acclimated. It is picking on food that hits the sand and rock so that’s promising.

Once QT is complete I am definitely moving Marginalis to the reef tank. I already know all Aiptasia will be gone likely in a few days with it in there.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot the day but everyone is doing great. Eating well no issues whatsoever. Still in copper. No signs of anything. No flashing, no yawning, no head shaking, no swimming in front of power heads.

All just acting normal.

I did loose the Regal and Whiteface. That’s just what happens when you order online and don’t know if the fish are eating or even remotely interested in eating.

No aggression just never ate anything. I’ll chalk this batch a success. Gonna loose some fish. Don’t expect to never loose any.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back