My not so quiet Elos drain

KathCH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear all,

I'm suffering with the Elos quiet drain sounding more like a toilet. Below you can see the current sump set-up. Don't get me started how it sounds when I move the water line to the Elos optimal line, unbearable! I have it about 1cm above that line, a bit too close to the safety drain in my oppinion.

Elos Sump.jpg

So now we are considering to modify the sump by turning it 180 degrees, so we have some more room to add curves to the drain line. Before going into any investment: would you share your Elos sump set-ups and how you managed to get it quiet?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish that I could help. I can only dream of an Elos tank. On the plus side, now I can live vicariously through your tank.

Hopefully a bump will get you some more views.

Sweet Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am struggling with this myself. Is this the old model without the drain dial at the top? Can you show a pic of the overflow area in the tank? I am thinking about making the return like a secondary drain and adding a return over the back to maybe make the drain quieter.

OP
OP
KathCH

KathCH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am struggling with this myself. Is this the old model without the drain dial at the top? Can you show a pic of the overflow area in the tank? I am thinking about making the return like a secondary drain and adding a return over the back to maybe make the drain quieter.
Actually we have done some changes already. Replaced the grey drain pipe with solid piping, using a different sump and just about to add a valve too. I have the drain dial, but it doesn't make a difference. Ongoing project, close to replace the tank actually

Sweet Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually we have done some changes already. Replaced the grey drain pipe with solid piping, using a different sump and just about to add a valve too. I have the drain dial, but it doesn't make a difference. Ongoing project, close to replace the tank actually
Interesting. I would be interested to see how you replaced the pipe with the built in overflow.

OP
OP
KathCH

KathCH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I would be interested to see how you replaced the pipe with the built in overflow.
Here you go. The sump is originally from a RS 350.

The problem with the older Elos systems is, that the drain and sump was designed for fresh water with lots os filtermedia to slow down the water. Reducing the volume by switching to pvc piping and different sump set-up mafe a huge difference. Now 5 days after the switch, the entire system has balanced and it has become very quiet. We will still add the valve for better regulation.

20220206_195940.jpg

OP
OP
KathCH

KathCH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last but not least: the water level is about 1 cm above the Elos ideal line. I was looking fpr the first quiet point when tuning it, which was about 2.5cm above the ideal water line. It has now settled itself about 1cm above the ideal waterline and has become very quiet. Running it with 50% on a 8k return pump. After the waterline settled, I went up 2% on the return pump. I hope it helps tuning in, which I would start from the minimum opening of the drain and open until the last point where the drain is quiet and take the finetuning from there.

rsach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself have been struggling with the same noise issue from the drain of the old style ELOS 120XL. Have tried running the DC pump at the minimum and maximum power with not help. Also, tried a DIY silencer by putting a piece of 1 1/2" PVC in the overflow hole, but it didn't help. I am planning on installing a gate vale on the drain line to see if restricting the flow help.
I am using a trigger ruby 30 sump.
Have you done anything to slowdown the flow coming down from the tank to raise the water level in the tank?

OP
OP
KathCH

KathCH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself have been struggling with the same noise issue from the drain of the old style ELOS 120XL. Have tried running the DC pump at the minimum and maximum power with not help. Also, tried a DIY silencer by putting a piece of 1 1/2" PVC in the overflow hole, but it didn't help. I am planning on installing a gate vale on the drain line to see if restricting the flow help.
Have you done anything to slowdown the flow coming down from the tank to raise the water level in the tank?
Only with the dial on the overflow. Waiting for my boyfriend to install the valve...
The dial on the overflowbox is not strong enough to keep the waterlevel in place, it is weird at the moment, raising my return pump's power like 2% per day and still the waterlevel will drop. I bought this tank 2nd hand, would be so much more ticked if I had bought it new

rsach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only with the dial on the overflow. Waiting for my boyfriend to install the valve...
The dial on the overflowbox is not strong enough to keep the waterlevel in place, it is weird at the moment, raising my return pump's power like 2% per day and still the waterlevel will drop. I bought this tank 2nd hand, would be so much more ticked if I had bought it new
So you have the newer model. I have the older model it doesn't even have a dial on the top. I bought it used as well, I wish I had done some research before getting this tank. The build quality is awesome, but the overflow part sucks. Hopefully putting a valve on the drain with help get rid of this annoying noise, although it's not recommended as it can cause flooding. I am also considering converting the return to emergency drain and running return from the back of the tank.

OP
OP
KathCH

KathCH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have the newer model. I have the older model it doesn't even have a dial on the top. I bought it used as well, I wish I had done some research before getting this tank. The build quality is awesome, but the overflow part sucks. Hopefully putting a valve on the drain with help get rid of this annoying noise, although it's not recommended as it can cause flooding. I am also considering converting the return to emergency drain and running return from the back of the tank.
It won't overflow because the return pump would run dry before that normally. I like the idea of the extra return, considered it as well. Personally I would never buy Elos again. The customer service here in Europe is a joke and this ocerflow is a piece of ****

Agent1923

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 6535A6D6-688D-4E01-9906-7C76CA41AADA.jpeg
    6535A6D6-688D-4E01-9906-7C76CA41AADA.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 43

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back