My pair of clownfish are now fighting… what to do…

saltwater1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have two pair of clownfish. Pair of Percula and pair of Cinnamon clownfish in a 40 gallon tank. They’ve been in the tank for over a year and were living amicably until recently. The Cinnamon pair wants to take over the Perculas’ cave and made them stay afloat in the corner near the surface of the water. The cinnamon has become super aggressive so I put them in the sump so they are not bothering the percula pair anymore.

My question is… how long should I keep them separated and also when I introduce the cinnamon fish back should I introduce one cinnamon fish at a time or back together? They both are a paired couple.

Let me know your thoughts.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull one pair permanently or get much larger tank. Multiple pairs of clowns has been a total failure in my experiences. I was able to pull it off for a while in a 6ft tanks with over 10 nems. 2 pairs in a 40g is a recipe for disaster. Also cinnamons can get over 4 inches so they will get quite a bit larger than the percs. JMO

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 get rid of cinnamon. They r just evil! I had a cinnamon lived for 8 yrs which claim whole tank as territory and bitten my hands(ouch!) so large tank wouldn't work in their case. They love to kill fish, they even don't get fear of bigger size fishes. Also they get very big in size

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing you've been forewarned of this issue. Time to rehome one pair or the other.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cinnamons are so much larger and more aggressive. If you don’t remove one of the two pair from the tank then the the Percula, are dead fish swimming.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back