My Peninsula P500 build

Scallopking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi there. Well enough lurking around I say and join the fray, I used to be on the forum but its been a while. I hope to get my Red Sea peninsula soon and have a number of questions for you red sea owners. I ordered the tank 3 weeks ago now, so they say it should be shipping any day. I hope, and am getting overly anxious to get it, but I also have a little work to do around where the tank will go so it not coming is okay too in the long run. The last time I moved I sold off my 240g reef tank and everything with it, i swore I wasn't getting back into the hobby then probably 5 years ago but here I am again (wish I still had some of the stuff). I'll have to dig up a pic of my last tank for your viewing pleasures. Never had a peninsula before and can't wait to work with three long sides of aquascape and corals/placement. Really only now would a peninsula work for me anyway so it's good timing I guess. Before, my tanks, I'd build the stand, canopy and such and custom design everything, sump, tank, overflows, external skimmers and pumps. I liked the package deal of the red sea or others that have the tank, stand and sump, it's much easier that way at least now for me. I didn't get the deluxe and went with different lights. So here's my parts list i'm going with:

2 x MP40QD
Simplicity 320 Skimmer
Simplicity return pump
Simplicity chiller pump
2 x Kessil Tuna Blue 360x + controller
Tunze Auto Top Off
Finnex 300 Watt heater
Apex Controller + Water analyzer
100 lbs Marco Rock
120 ibs Special Grade Sand
Bubble Magnus Doser
JBJ Chiller
BRS Reactor

So after reading I decided to not use red sea auto top off, and went with the Tunze again. I had that before and worked flawlessly.

Which then I also don't plan to use the red sea fresh water tank. Those of you don't use it what have you done for your top-off container then and how/where is it placed? Can you get it in the stand?

My plan it not have the chiller inside the stand, since the tank will be against a column, I plan to put the chiller in there and run the exhaust up to the attic. I hope it frees enough room int he stand for top-off container maybe. I hope put the 1g dosing containers along with the chiller.

Can anyone share any pictures of the inside of your stands and sump? I'd love to get some visual on where you've placed everything.

I think I will get the controller board they sell online. That seems like a must and first time to use one.

My plan is to hang the light from the ceiling so I got some aluminum channel and will have to DIY. The one frustrating thing about the Kessil is no ceiling mount available, unless it is for the AP700 (??).

I will try to get some pics going. Anyway thanks in advance everyone for your help.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats on the new tank! I'm sure it'll be awesome!

OP
OP
S

Scallopking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I am thinking about for the chiller and where the tank will go.

IMG_1812 (1).jpg
IMG_1811 (1).jpg

OP
OP
S

Scallopking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright so this has turned into a Waterbox build now. (mods maybe you can fix the title?) Red Sea was way behind. I think I should get my 6025 peninsula later next week. so excited. Here's some pics where it will go. It's a little bigger but i oversized except for the lights. Not sure if I should go with 2 or 3 x 360x's
IMG_1830.jpg

OP
OP
S

Scallopking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am getting a 3/4" 8' aluminum channel that I will cut to 5'. the last pic seems like a 3 Kessil could fit in. I am doing this one final time, so if I need a 3rd might as well get it at this point.

i am not quite sure how cabinet configuration is in the 6025. I think I still might put the chiller inside the column along with the dosing containers. I will build a box out from the front to the back. what I need to find is a 12" exhaust duct/register that has the whole the top and not out back. that will get me the room i need add that to the back of the chiller and exhaust upwards.

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worh, I have a 3ft waterbox with two a360x’s. If I went even one foot bigger I would have three. I do supplement with T5s, but I have some acros in there. If you are doing kessils only and plan on sps, I would get at least three to cut down on shading when your frags grow.

OP
OP
S

Scallopking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so i ordered a 1 1/4" aluminum channel for the 3 Kessils. I can pickup that Monday from Grainger. the local home improvement didnt have that large size. i also ordered a speedi-boot for the chiller, that is top exhaust and some ducting. this is going to be fun but i've attached to the back of the chiller before a duct boot to for remote exhaust. im not the best build thread person but i am trying.

here's my rodi and water containers. one salt, one fresh.

IMG_1837.jpg
IMG_1838.jpg

OP
OP
S

Scallopking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: built and installed my chiller yesterday into the column, just barely fit. I originally wanted chiller facing me but I would have to cut out the back 2x6 and reinforce it. so i turned it and there was no stud behind it in the position. Oh well, wife didn't want me to cut the 2x6. i need to put some molding around the face of the chiller. Not sure if I want to cover up the large opening. i can get my 1g dosing containers in still too.

IMG_1856.jpg
IMG_1861.jpg
IMG_1866.jpg
IMG_1867.jpg
IMG_1870.jpg
IMG_1871.jpg
IMG_1874.jpg

OP
OP
S

Scallopking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I'll keep updating if in the future this thread can help someone. :)

just got the waterbox shipment yesterday, had people lined up today so had to build the stand right away last night. In between i also got my fresh and salt water station all setup, well mostly, still need top plumb the saltwater recirc line. and not as nice mixing stastions as some i've seen lately. the red lids have a another white barrel still lid also in the middle. I'll take that one out and run the plumbing through it,. i figure salt will last about 3 months. i am not a plumber by any means as you can see. this is located about 50' from my house. i had originally planned to use a tubing that long all the way into my house, but then got 30g blue barrels that I will use for new salt water and old water from the tank. I have an upright dolly to move them back and forth. also, i got all my dry-live rock cycling too. thanks for looking.

IMG_1887.jpg
IMG_1888.jpg
IMG_1889.jpg

IMG_1890.jpg
IMG_1891.jpg
IMG_1893.jpg

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see another P500! I see that you've drilled a hole in partition wall in your cabinet, I'm doing that one too to connect my return pump to the UV on the dry side cabinet before returning to the display. What do you have the hole for?

OP
OP
S

Scallopking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see another P500! I see that you've drilled a hole in partition wall in your cabinet, I'm doing that one too to connect my return pump to the UV on the dry side cabinet before returning to the display. What do you have the hole for?

thanks. it was supposed to be a P500 but Red Sea and I would be part of that club but RS was way backed up (i haven't figured out how to change the title). So I canceled and did the Waterbox. But I think they are about the same. the cabinet came pre-drilled actually so that was cool. i will use the hole for the chiller lines to/from the column, dosing pump that will be dry side, and controller probe wires dry to wet side. there's one in the back too. thanks for looking!!

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad. Both WB and RS looked similar. My RS tooked 3 months to arrive.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back