My pet scorpionfish!

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have such a fascination with fish like this. Lions, scorpions, anglers. I really should see about setting up a predator tank eventually.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has he been eating enough for you feeding him that way? What have you been feeding him, was that krill?

Fish like these usually don't consume enough over the long term by eating from the water and not be target fed of sorts, Is he eating the food once it settles. They seem to be doing well for a while, but actually fade over time. While dead foods like krill(and any shrimp for matter) can occasionally be fed, a diet with excessive thiaminese will lead to a vit B1 deficiency. I don't mean to be insulting but this is a common way many of these scorps and lions languish over a few months to a year.

OP
OP
monkeyCmonkeyDo

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ur good. Not bursting any bubbles. Im aware of ur vitamin b1 defeciency suspiscion. Ive fed live shrmip 1 time so far.
Yes krill is his favorite. Lol.
He eats enough and has grown. Comes out to eat. Lol.
Why hes just sitting their. Lol. Than darts back under his rock. 10mins later hes out wanting 2nds or leftovers but his bellys full. Lol.

My drumfish and scorp will eat krill as big as they can fit. My squirrel will eat 6+ pieces.
Guess ill see after the 1 yr mark. Gonna check my frozen foods tonight for b1 additives.
D

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ur good. Not bursting any bubbles. Im aware of ur vitamin b1 defeciency suspiscion. Ive fed live shrmip 1 time so far.
Why hes just sitting their. Lol. Than darts back under his rock. 10mins later hes out wanting 2nds or leftovers but his bellys full. Lol.

My drumfish and scorp will eat krill as big as they can fit. My squirrel will eat 6+ pieces.
Guess ill see after the 1 yr mark. Gonna check my frozen foods tonight for b1 additives.
D
I'm wondering if you could get livestock b1 and use it as a soak for the food occasionally?
It would probably have to come from a veterinarian but I get injectable thiamine for the goats all the time when they need it.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

D

It's not just "my" suspicion, you can do your research and find many resources that discuss this. it is pretty much a given that scorps and lions with a substantial amount of krill in their diets will develop a vitamin B1 deficiency and suffer a premature death. Puffers and eels fit this bill as well, and I'm sure others as well. Because this fish has been a very agreeable sporp species to take dead food, I've seen many try to keep them. Every one I've ever known told me similar to what you've said. No one ever kept this fish much more than a year. This is a common story I hear from people keeping lions and scorps, none ever make it to their 2nd year in captivity. Other nutrient deficiencies also from this diet may include vit e and efa's. Nutritional values on frozen food are only relevant if frozen properly and fed within the timeframe of the shelf life which is less than a year.

OP
OP
monkeyCmonkeyDo

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Krill isnt the only thing he eats. Just his favorite. Lol.
I hope i can have success longer than 9-12months. Id like to see the little guy full grown and munchin whatever he wants. Lol!
Reminds me a lot of sculpins here native locally.
Kool bottom dweller.
D

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Krill isnt the only thing he eats. Just his favorite. Lol.
I hope i can have success longer than 9-12months. Id like to see the little guy full grown and munchin whatever he wants. Lol!
Reminds me a lot of sculpins here native locally.
Kool bottom dweller.
D

Sculpins are in the same order as lions and other scorps. My friend at a lfs is always trying to get me to get one, he sees them on his distributor's list all the time. Too big of a fish for me too keep.

OP
OP
monkeyCmonkeyDo

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are coldwater here and its hard for me to set up a coldwater with the teco chiller and thick 1"+ acrylic my maker recommends. Lol.
Would be an awsome build though. Lol.
I tried it in the past on a cheap budget build. My bulkhead started to leak cuz the acrylic was too thin and the tank bowed a lot in the middle where the bulkhead i had was drilled.
I will do a coldwater again 1 day when im even older and retired maybe.
D

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lionking i just googled b1 thiamine additive. Is their 1 you would recommend?
D

Personally I gave up adding supplements after my research proved that those that used supplementation religiously still had no added success. My supplementation, as it were, is to include live food. A good tip for added nutrition for preds eating dead food is too stuff with a nutritious pelleted food, be careful as pelleted food expands, so just a few. Injecting supplements vs soaking may keep the supplements better than washing off in the water column.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are coldwater here and its hard for me to set up a coldwater with the teco chiller and thick 1"+ acrylic my maker recommends. Lol.
Would be an awsome build though. Lol.
I tried it in the past on a cheap budget build. My bulkhead started to leak cuz the acrylic was too thin and the tank bowed a lot in the middle where the bulkhead i had was drilled.
I will do a coldwater again 1 day when im even older and retired maybe.
D

Good point about the cold water, that's likely the cause of why no one can keep them in captivity.

OP
OP
monkeyCmonkeyDo

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im gonna set up an apt with a vet and talk to em.

I tried to keep a pair i.caught myself but like i said my tank leaked.
I had a gunnel and 2 filefish. Spider crabs. Nems. The filefish are common sold as the aptasia eaters here in the warm water sales. Pretty sure theyre the same filefish. Lol
D

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 78.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back