My PLC controlled aquarium project

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... I probably have a little under 1K invested but not all at once, I've been collecting for some time now.

Still The APEX started kit is around 500 then you start adding the additional outlets and switch expansion that you have. You are right there with the APEX cost. Plus you made it and IMO have much more capabilities now. Good work. I took a few Robotics and Mechatronics classes in school and always wanted to make something like this. You definitely set the bar. Good job!

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still The APEX started kit is around 500 then you start adding the additional outlets and switch expansion that you have. You are right there with the APEX cost. Plus you made it and IMO have much more capabilities now. Good work. I took a few Robotics and Mechatronics classes in school and always wanted to make something like this. You definitely set the bar. Good job!

But a apex does not come with a mean looking 15 inch tuch screen, and he made exacly what he want.

OP
OP
Curtie44

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a Trek 500 in the background of that first picture? You fly that thing?

I haven't finished building the T-rex 500 yet. It's about 95 percent complete. I started with a T-rex 450 Se, flew that for a while then decided to get the 500. I'm looking forward to flying it when I finally finish building it.

Last edited:

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just the software alone is way more than what most spend on their controller. lol Control logix 5000 and rs studio! very very nice. I have seen a co worker with a small slc500 setup on his tank but nothing like this. Very nice.

you could throw in a sercos card and a servo to run the ball valve... lol

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow! That came out freakin sweet. I wasn't sure what to expect, but this far exceeded anything i was thinking of.

Ubergroover

Engineer by day, Musician/golfer/reefer by night
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good,...I am doing the same only I am going to use an automation direct C-more panel...and ethernet RS-5000. Pumps and equip in basement HMI in the den...lol. PLUS c-more has a phone app . Looks great though nice job!

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I'm new to this reef, just starting my first tank, I've got a Seimens S7-200 that I got from a training class a while ago that I'd like to work into my setup. Need some expansion modules and stuff. I also have an ABB TB82 conductivity transmitter and an ABB TB82 pH transmitter. I was just wondering if anyone else went that route and found your thread. Your system looks awesome.

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an industria electrician/technician myself, I work with this stuff, wish I could get an allen Bradley like that but Way too expensive

OP
OP
Curtie44

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little late.. But where able to automate your water changes and have you updated the system since then
Wow, I totally forgot about this thread! Other than minor tweaks to the programming, not much has changed. I never moved forward with the automatic water changes.
BTW the IFM sensor I assume is Temp? nice stuff.
There are 2 IFM sensors in use; one for temp and a level probe for the kalk top off. I also have an IFM flow meter squirreled away somewhere that I never got around to using.
Hey, I'm new to this reef, just starting my first tank, I've got a Seimens S7-200 that I got from a training class a while ago that I'd like to work into my setup. Need some expansion modules and stuff. I also have an ABB TB82 conductivity transmitter and an ABB TB82 pH transmitter. I was just wondering if anyone else went that route and found your thread. Your system looks awesome.
Thanks, it was fun putting it all to good use
I'm an industria electrician/technician myself, I work with this stuff, wish I could get an allen Bradley like that but Way too expensive
i was lucky, when I started collecting all of the components it was in the bottom of the housing/economy tank in 2008/2009 ish. eBay was flooded with industrial controls from all the automotive mfgs. Lots of once in a lifetime deals were had . If I had to replace anything today I’d be in deep dodo

OP
OP
Curtie44

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little late.. But where able to automate your water changes and have you updated the system since then
One thing I did do,which I can’t believe I waited so long to program, was to add a screen to the HMI for the peristaltic pump. I have it set up on the HMI so that I can adjust the amount the pump dispenses. So if I want to increase the amount of Sodium bicarbonate I dose, it’s simply a matter of going to the “Dose Control” screen and entering the new volume I want to dose in ml. The PLC program does the math on how long to run the pump based off the amount dispensed per minute. Makes it very convenient when adjusting to meet the demand of my mostly SPS system.

Devan Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next step was an interface to the whole thing. I got my hands on an AB touch screen VersaView industrial PC. I programmed a few custom pages display and control everything in the system. This will be a continuous work in progress as I add to the system.

IMG_4295.jpg

This is the main screen. It displays all the important info so you can see it at a glance.

MainScreen-2.jpg

I also have a trend screen that I still need to work a few kinks out of. Trending tank pH and Temp.

TrendScreen-1.jpg

Sorry about the crappy pics....I couldn't get rid of the glare of the lights.

IMG_5943.jpg

IMG_5940.jpg
lol, i got an old VersaView sitting in my office i never thought to use it this way!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back