My PLC controlled aquarium project

Ubergroover

Engineer by day, Musician/golfer/reefer by night
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 2 IFM sensors in use; one for temp and a level probe for the kalk top off. I also have an IFM flow meter squirreled away somewhere that I never got around to using.
I went the ultrasonic route with a banner level sensor...4-20mA. IFM is great stuff. Easy laptop config

OP
OP
Curtie44

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went the ultrasonic route with a banner level sensor...4-20mA. IFM is great stuff. Easy laptop config

Wise choice. The biggest gripe I have with the probe I use is that I run kalk in my top off water. Every 6 months or so the kalk builds up on the probe and causes erroneous readings, sometimes causing an overflow condition to the Kent aquadoser. To eliminate the overflow problem, I timed how long it took to fill the 5 gallon aquadoser and programmed a fill timer in the plc. If, during a fill cycle, the fill time exceeds the preset, I shut off the fill pump and set an alarm on the HMI, that way I know there was a problem during the fill and it’s time to soak the probe in some vinegar. You shouldn’t have any of those issues with the ultrasonic sensor. You’ll have to let me know if you experience any difficulties dealing with wavy water and how that affects the level readings.

Ubergroover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wise choice on the programming and creative. I like it, i'll remember that. with the ultra sonic I am running the analog input into a mave (RS logix 5000) in the function block, then to a addition element adding .5 to round up on the reading that is sent to a truncate block, then into a time on delay set for 30 seconds, hopefully eliminate the ripples. Thats the same programming I use for Large tank filling procedures where I work minus the flow meters. It averages the level then allows the time delay to account for false readings.
I am house hunting at the moment so when I get it all set up I will show you what I did.
Your HMI looks great. Did you say it was an allen bradley? If so what model...I was planning on the automation direct c-more panel, but I am impressed by the one you are using.

OP
OP
Curtie44

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wise choice on the programming and creative. I like it, i'll remember that. with the ultra sonic I am running the analog input into a mave (RS logix 5000) in the function block, then to a addition element adding .5 to round up on the reading that is sent to a truncate block, then into a time on delay set for 30 seconds, hopefully eliminate the ripples. Thats the same programming I use for Large tank filling procedures where I work minus the flow meters. It averages the level then allows the time delay to account for false readings.
I am house hunting at the moment so when I get it all set up I will show you what I did.
Your HMI looks great. Did you say it was an allen bradley? If so what model...I was planning on the automation direct c-more panel, but I am impressed by the one you are using.

I look forward to seeing your setup once you get it up and running. Yes the HMI is an AB VersaView industrial pc (I can’t recall tha part number). It’s super old lol! Anytime I have to reboot it I walk away and do something else for a bit haha. I really wanted a PanelView+ 2711P-T10C4D1 (I remember this part number because I unsuccessfully scoured the internet/eBay for MONTHS looking for one at a reasonable price) so I ended up with the VersaView. I’ve seen all the automation direct stuff but haven’t used any of it myself. Whenever this VV craps out beyond repair, that’s probably the rout I will go too.

Ubergroover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look forward to seeing your setup once you get it up and running. Yes the HMI is an AB VersaView industrial pc (I can’t recall tha part number). It’s super old lol! Anytime I have to reboot it I walk away and do something else for a bit haha. I really wanted a PanelView+ 2711P-T10C4D1 (I remember this part number because I unsuccessfully scoured the internet/eBay for MONTHS looking for one at a reasonable price) so I ended up with the VersaView. I’ve seen all the automation direct stuff but haven’t used any of it myself. Whenever this VV craps out beyond repair, that’s probably the rout I will go too.
we use the automation direct HMI's they work great. Our system is all control logix tag based stuff and its seamless over a ethernet/IP network. Their HMI's are pretty reasonable. I "think" their hmi software C-more its called, is free...I will look. If your ever interested I'll send you a program so you can see how its tagged. Your stuff looks great! let ya know when I am up and running.

Kayotic5011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! yay people who do what I do....lol, I'm a control panel fabricator in my everyday career. Its so awesome to come across this thread as I am doing this myself due to having access and the abilities to do such a panel build. I am super stoked to see this Idea already in action. I am in the process of bringing all my pieces together and picking out a PLC that best suits my needs. I want to aim for making it a little smaller but with no less capabilities then you have implemented and possibly more if needed. I notice this thread was created a while back and am very curious how its played out for you over the yrs and what you would have done different. Do you have any advice you would like to share that might help me in the long run?...also I know the price builds the more you apply to it so if you don't mind me asking did you have a price limit in mind before you started or are you like me and just go for things and rolled with the punches as they come and how much over all did you spend so far. Did you ever find your sweet spot for it (you know where you don't want to add more to it or risk upgrading it because it worked as is). I ask because we both know there is constant upgrades in this industry and i was just curious what you have done over the years.

Ubergroover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! yay people who do what I do....lol, I'm a control panel fabricator in my everyday career. Its so awesome to come across this thread as I am doing this myself due to having access and the abilities to do such a panel build. I am super stoked to see this Idea already in action. I am in the process of bringing all my pieces together and picking out a PLC that best suits my needs. I want to aim for making it a little smaller but with no less capabilities then you have implemented and possibly more if needed. I notice this thread was created a while back and am very curious how its played out for you over the yrs and what you would have done different. Do you have any advice you would like to share that might help me in the long run?...also I know the price builds the more you apply to it so if you don't mind me asking did you have a price limit in mind before you started or are you like me and just go for things and rolled with the punches as they come and how much over all did you spend so far. Did you ever find your sweet spot for it (you know where you don't want to add more to it or risk upgrading it because it worked as is). I ask because we both know there is constant upgrades in this industry and i was just curious what you have done over the years.
Well for me IMO you can find for a reasonable ( this is automation stuff nothing truly cheap) plc and other peripherals at automation direct. I use allen bradley compact logix because my company goes through a ton of the stuff so I get CPU's free when they upgrade stuff. if you put it together right and write the ladder logic right it will out perform a pre-boxed controller all day long. For me I know how I want my tank to run so I am writing my program to do what I want. Automated water changes, manual dump valves, error warnings....its what I do at work. stick to ethernet comm if u can

Kayotic5011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well for me IMO you can find for a reasonable ( this is automation stuff nothing truly cheap) plc and other peripherals at automation direct. I use allen bradley compact logix because my company goes through a ton of the stuff so I get CPU's free when they upgrade stuff. if you put it together right and write the ladder logic right it will out perform a pre-boxed controller all day long. For me I know how I want my tank to run so I am writing my program to do what I want. Automated water changes, manual dump valves, error warnings....its what I do at work. stick to ethernet comm if u can
The power of a properly exacted plc and point I/O is un-matched in my eyes. Ive been building and wiring panels for a couple yrs now and with all the things I can make these robot brains do, my fish tank automation Is high on my list. I just really want to build my own robot brain for my fish tank lol....but my real main goal is to make a automation system that can control tidal situations with in a tank by draining and refilling the water on the times of low and high tide set to calculations by real time data. I also want to be able to control all the other good stuff like heater and what not. The thing I like most about it is I can control everything....like how you wired up that 120v strip to control all outlets by them selves with your plc (Props). Another thing I like is that I have the ability that a lot of others don't where I work with this and build these types of things on a sometimes larger scale. Your very right when you say this isn't cheap stuff, the encloser and back panel I'm looking at is $150 and its 20x20....lol 150 with nothing in it but a empty back panel and thats the start.....anyway its really nice to meet you and really awesome to see we share something in common other than reefing. Does your company have a panel shop or do guys mainly concentrate on automation? I work for Logical Systems Inc, have you heard of them?

Ubergroover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The power of a properly exacted plc and point I/O is un-matched in my eyes. Ive been building and wiring panels for a couple yrs now and with all the things I can make these robot brains do, my fish tank automation Is high on my list. I just really want to build my own robot brain for my fish tank lol....but my real main goal is to make a automation system that can control tidal situations with in a tank by draining and refilling the water on the times of low and high tide set to calculations by real time data. I also want to be able to control all the other good stuff like heater and what not. The thing I like most about it is I can control everything....like how you wired up that 120v strip to control all outlets by them selves with your plc (Props). Another thing I like is that I have the ability that a lot of others don't where I work with this and build these types of things on a sometimes larger scale. Your very right when you say this isn't cheap stuff, the encloser and back panel I'm looking at is $150 and its 20x20....lol 150 with nothing in it but a empty back panel and thats the start.....anyway its really nice to meet you and really awesome to see we share something in common other than reefing. Does your company have a panel shop or do guys mainly concentrate on automation? I work for Logical Systems Inc, have you heard of them?
no I am up in New England. Likewise and if you ever need any ideas or suggestions dont ever be afraid to hit me up. A well thought out PLC system will make the best Apex controller look like a hot wheels toy...no offense to anyone. In my shop its just another guy and myself. We spec the parts and write the code. Farm out fabrication...its nice I can troubleshoot the entire factory from home...no wasted beer. LOL

Kayotic5011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no I am up in New England. Likewise and if you ever need any ideas or suggestions dont ever be afraid to hit me up. A well thought out PLC system will make the best Apex controller look like a hot wheels toy...no offense to anyone. In my shop its just another guy and myself. We spec the parts and write the code. Farm out fabrication...its nice I can troubleshoot the entire factory from home...no wasted beer. LOL
Word, and lol@ the apex hot wheels, I feel the same way about it. My hat is off to the designers of that system though, its very nice....but for me just doesnt do enough for that price. I would love to work from home but I dont have enough storage room for all the parts lol. I appreciate your offer of help and will deff be in contact, I know I will have things to ask.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back