My Poor Clown

Diesel_Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I picked up a pair of Clowns from Petco (I know, I know) and put them in my QT. Neither wanted to eat from the get-go so I had low hopes. They've been through a freshwater dip (no flukes), had long string-y white poop and have been in general cure. After they got a bath with paraguard (SeaChem) , we lost one of them within minutes of getting them back into the QT. I've got one fighting still, he's since also gone through a Ruby Reef Rally bath as well (best I could get my hands on, I can't find formalin anywhere) and is finally eating well (only shrimp, no pellets or flakes) but he's got some black spots that have been forming since the Paraguard bath and still struggles to swim (kinda swims at an angle trying to keep himself upright) so I'm worried he's still not going to make it. Any suggestions? :/

OP
OP
D

Diesel_Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
received_476231983459561.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of ParaGard, especially when used as a dip. The clown in the picture doesn't look too bad, its holding its fins up well. Its fins are a bit tattered, probably from some previous altercation with another fish at PetCo. Is it breathing normally? If you don't know how to judge that, you can post a short video and I can tell you.
Any reason why you aren't using copper? That would be my go to start with any fish from PetCo...

Jay

OP
OP
D

Diesel_Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His fins finally unclamped the same time he started eating, about two days ago. I've been searching locally for some copper treatment but am failing, about to order some. This is mostly because i'm a beginner and learning it all the hard way, ugh. What would be the proper treatment with copper Jay? Thank you for your response as well, just trying to learn as I go here

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to run coppersafe for 30 days for all new fish.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

karamreef117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea on QT the clown. my longest fish that is alive is from petco they seem to just live long I guess. Dont let that one clown get you down. Usually Qt is when you get a new fish and put place it right into a insulated QT. You observe the fish for 14 to 30 days and if any parasites appear on the fish you treat it with the right treatment. I would not do any treatment until the fish is showing signs of parasites. On the clownfish I would continue to watch it and feeding it low amount of food hence you do not want ammonia spiking up. Keep the water well oxygenate and low flow. Keep us posted!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back