My poor RFA has a prolapsed rectum

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1694452866865.png

I had to take this RFA off of a rock several weeks ago. When added back to the tank, it gaped a bit and puffed up at the mouth. But when it finally settled in this spot, it never fully closed its mouth. Instead, it kind of has a bit of its insides (rectum?) sticking out. And it has been this way since mid-July. I feed it regularly (TDO pellets with mysis), and it eats, but then opens back up just like this. Has a sexy shrimp that lives with it, too.

Do you think I should try to feed it something meatier like a piece of shrimp or clam and see if swallowing something big pushes that rectum back down? I'm not too worried about him, just concerned about his unsightly condition and overall self-esteem, what with being the only anemone with a prolapsed rectum among 9 in the tank...

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
1694452866865.png

I had to take this RFA off of a rock several weeks ago. When added back to the tank, it gaped a bit and puffed up at the mouth. But when it finally settled in this spot, it never fully closed its mouth. Instead, it kind of has a bit of its insides (rectum?) sticking out. And it has been this way since mid-July. I feed it regularly (TDO pellets with mysis), and it eats, but then opens back up just like this. Has a sexy shrimp that lives with it, too.

Do you think I should try to feed it something meatier like a piece of shrimp or clam and see if swallowing something big pushes that rectum back down? I'm not too worried about him, just concerned about his unsightly condition and overall self-esteem, what with being the only anemone with a prolapsed rectum among 9 in the tank...
Half the ones in my 20 have been like this for the last couple weeks. I haven't been able to find much reliable information about it.
I've seen them eat like this, but have no clue what's going on.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1694452866865.png

Don’t try to feed it at all. Let it recover to a healthy status and then feed at most a pea sized amount once or twice a week. No need to directly feed them at all. Anemones use the same opening for intake and removal of food/waste. So you can just call it, it’s mouth. What you are seeing are its ‘guts’ for lack of the technical term. It looks unhappy and at least partially deflated. If it further expels its guts you may need to treat with antibiotics.

Feeding it would be harmful at this point.

fishnchips17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20230930-054003.png

My poor guy has it bad. I still feed it and it acts normally. Just curious, is your rfa a male also? I have 4 in my tank and this only happens to my male rfa so just wondering if it only happens to the male ones.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've been paying closer attention to the RFAs in my 20g that have been having this issue.
It seems as though it may have something to do with overfeeding.
Since losing all other fish in the tank b/c my maroon clown Felicia is a monster, I have significantly reduces how I feed the tank and they seem to be reverting back to their original glories.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 32 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 23 31.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back