My Porcupine Pufferfish’s eyes are clouded?!?

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone-

My porcupine pufferfish recently just had ich. He was covered in spots, so I decided to start a course of Kick-Ich. His spots have much improved, but today, when I went to go check on him, his eyes are really clouded. It looks like there’s a film or something over them. His eye still looks like a smooth bubble, but it definitely looks like there’s clouding. I’ve heard of this happening before, but I'm not sure what it is and/or what to do about it. I attached some pics, I can take more if any of you need more, but you can kinda see in the pics what I’m talking about. Any insight would be really appreciated.

Thank you all in advance

51949FB7-CFD9-4916-A0AF-319890F63CDA.jpeg D08F4438-858E-42A7-BF89-880F93E593A0.jpeg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any other fish in the tank? If so how do they look?

The eyes look pretty bad, I am wondering if you are dealing with something more sinister like velvet. Can you upload some more up close photos?

OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any other fish in the tank? If so how do they look?

The eyes look pretty bad, I am wondering if you are dealing with something more sinister like velvet. Can you upload some more up close photos?

There are actually no other fish in the tank, except one snail. That’s it though. I will take some closer pics right now. If it is velvet, how is that treated??

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think it may be velvet as I can see a lot of little white specs on the fins.

Velvet is treated with either copper or CP. You would probably want to move the fish to a QT in order to treat it and allow your DT to be fallow. Do you have any other livestock at all?

Is the fish a new addition? Or have you recently added anything else "wet" to the tank?

OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think it may be velvet as I can see a lot of little white specs on the fins.

Velvet is treated with either copper or CP. You would probably want to move the fish to a QT in order to treat it and allow your DT to be fallow. Do you have any other livestock at all?

Is the fish a new addition? Or have you recently added anything else "wet" to the tank?

No, it’s not a new addition at all. I’ve had him for about 9 months or so. I added a snail, just a couple days ago, but that’s it. I don’t have any other livestock either, just that little guy. And, I’ve never been through this before, so how do I treat with copper or CP?? Plus, what is CP?? I’ve never been down this road with my fish, especially since he was doing so well before he got ich, and now this. Sorry for all the questions, I’m just worried about my little guy!!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should walk you through treatment.

OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just called my LFS, and they said they don’t think it’s velvet. I think he might match the description of velvet, but they don’t think so. I don’t want something to happen to my fish, and I don’t want to treat him in the wrong way.... if it is velvet I want to treat him appropriately, but if it’s not, I want to treat him accordingly as well. My LFS admitted they don’t have much experience with velvet, so I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place here. Ahhhhh!!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back