My Prop Tank

brian92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just converted my old display tank into a frag tank. I hope to prop mostly Zoas, rare palys, an acan or two, some rics. I also just added a big frag cespitularia.

PropTank.jpg

TopPropTank.jpg

Top down shot it looks weird but I didn't use flash or anything
bestzoas.jpg

Zoomed
propzoom.jpg

Stats

Aqua C Nano remora
150W Coral life pendant with XM 20K
10g sump with Eheim return pump (haven't filled it up yet too lazy)
Koralia 2
What does everyone think? Should be filled to the brim with some zoa colonies and about 15 rics in a few weeks. I also got some PEoA's and RPE's coming in on Wednesday.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank looks great! Exciting huh?

OP
OP
brian92

brian92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everybody!!! I'm so excited to get this thing stocked. I got some money saved up and hope to get some nice stuff.

I just ordered this from Makai can't wait for them to come in
brian2.jpg

OP
OP
brian92

brian92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those may be one of the sickist zoas I have seen. Dang I need to set up a prop tank.
Thanks, I got them from a guy named Makai on Nano-Reef. I think he has a frag pack with those ones available. Can't wait till they come in.

OP
OP
brian92

brian92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to skipton's got the hydnophora and the red zoa colony!!!
hydnophora.jpg

topdownEE-1.jpg

sideviewreds.jpg

topdownreds.jpg

OP
OP
brian92

brian92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went into the reefing supply supercenter Lowe's and got some tumbled marble squares. They are great they look like they really belong in a reef. One question should I be concerned about the glue on the bottom of them?, it was used to hold them together on the mesh square.

I washed, boiled, then scrubbed them to make sure, but I'm kind of worried some glue might have stuck in the holes of the rock.

They were $10 for 30 of them, I plan on mounting zoas on them if its safe.
100_0801.jpg

100_0798.jpg

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've used the tiles for about a year...theres those and then the smaller ones which are 1" x 1". Haven't had any problems with the glue stuff on the bottom.

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tried those exact ones, seem to work ok. the only problem i ran into was the glue sticking, and some frags popped off.

the glue i soaked them in vinegar for few days, then scrubbed the glue off, then soaked in water for a week or more.

Ocho Cinco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank looks familier...

Nice on the frag tiles. I was wondering what to use when I need some. Let me know how they work out.

OP
OP
brian92

brian92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank looks familier...

Nice on the frag tiles. I was wondering what to use when I need some. Let me know how they work out.

Haha yup, I'd recommend checking the tile section of lowes. Get the small ceramic tiles that are like 1/2" squares. I'm gonna get some of those because thase are a little too big.

Reef Monkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much flow do you have going through your prop tank and what type of lighting are you using?

OP
OP
brian92

brian92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much flow do you have going through your prop tank and what type of lighting are you using?
I have a 150 watt pendant with a 20k bulb, for flow I have a Koralia 1, Koralia Nano, and a maxijet hookep up to an aqua c remora.

Ocho Cinco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 watt pendant with a 20k bulb, for flow I have a Koralia 1, Koralia Nano, and a maxijet hookep up to an aqua c remora.
Wouldn't you get better growth out of a 10 or 14K bulb? I haven't even thought of a skimmer for my frag tank. Do you think I for sure need one?

OP
OP
brian92

brian92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't you get better growth out of a 10 or 14K bulb? I haven't even thought of a skimmer for my frag tank. Do you think I for sure need one?
Nah I don't think the skimmer is necessary at all for a frag tank, I just had one and figured why not put it on there. You'd get better growth from a 10K but color might be a little lackluster. I like my 20K because I feel like a decent growth and awesome colors.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 149 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back