My Quarantine Plan

kadamik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jay

This is the plan that I have come up with and wanted to get your opinion on.
Wife is forcing me to get this wrapped up quickly, I am on day 21-22. To give me one extra round of defense I was going to dose Chloroquine and General Cure to help make sure I am not transferring any free swimmers to the DT.

What are you thoughts?

Plan A
Day 1 into QT tank (wait for fish to adjust and start eating)
Day 2 Still feeding fish but looking for disease
Day 3 Chloroquine Phosphate 60mg per gallon (bare bottom tank using Prime everyday)
Day 3 General Cure
Day 10 General Cure
Day 16 General Cure (done 24 hours before transfer to ensure transfer is as clean as possible)
Day 17 Tank Transfer (Clean Aquarium no mediation)
day 18 - 23 Observe Fish (no meds for 6 days)
I am currently here
day 24 Chloroquine Phosphate 60mg per gallon)
day 24 General Cure
day 27 Move to DT
Total 27 days

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jay

This is the plan that I have come up with and wanted to get your opinion on.
Wife is forcing me to get this wrapped up quickly, I am on day 21-22. To give me one extra round of defense I was going to dose Chloroquine and General Cure to help make sure I am not transferring any free swimmers to the DT.

What are you thoughts?

Plan A
Day 1 into QT tank (wait for fish to adjust and start eating)
Day 2 Still feeding fish but looking for disease
Day 3 Chloroquine Phosphate 60mg per gallon (bare bottom tank using Prime everyday)
Day 3 General Cure
Day 10 General Cure
Day 16 General Cure (done 24 hours before transfer to ensure transfer is as clean as possible)
Day 17 Tank Transfer (Clean Aquarium no mediation)
day 18 - 23 Observe Fish (no meds for 6 days)
I am currently here
day 24 Chloroquine Phosphate 60mg per gallon)
day 24 General Cure
day 27 Move to DT
Total 27 days

As long as you are managing the ammonia well, the process itself will be safe for the fish, but I can't say if its effectiveness will be on par with my standard quarantine (having not run fish through a cycle like this). GC and Chloroquine are both degraded by bacteria, and the chance of this increases with each dose used. I don't see any benefit for holding the fish in there until day 27, I think you should move them out on day 25, while there is still more of a chance of there being an active dose in the water. I'm worried mostly about Neobenedenia eggs...

Jay

OP
OP
K

kadamik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you are managing the ammonia well, the process itself will be safe for the fish, but I can't say if its effectiveness will be on par with my standard quarantine (having not run fish through a cycle like this). GC and Chloroquine are both degraded by bacteria, and the chance of this increases with each dose used. I don't see any benefit for holding the fish in there until day 27, I think you should move them out on day 25, while there is still more of a chance of there being an active dose in the water. I'm worried mostly about Neobenedenia eggs...

Jay
Understood, I will update my plan and let you know how it goes. I don't have any active bio filter in the tank, I am dosing Prime everyday, and doing 25 percent water changes every 3rd day, it seems to be going pretty good. Ammo seems to be in check.

I will dose CP and General Cure around 9AM in the morning on the of day 24 and plan to transfer to the DT the next day after 24 hours or so. I will let you know how it goes.

Thank you so much for your help. I know this is not supported plan but if I am going to stay married I had to adjust it somewhat.

thanks
Keith

OP
OP
K

kadamik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jay

My clowns and eel have been in my DT for 4 weeks no signs of parasites. thank u again for your help

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back